Need a Windows 7 64-bit driver for deskjet 5100 series (2257 Views)
Top Student
EarlH2O
Message 1 of 5 (2,257 Views)

Need a Windows 7 64-bit driver for deskjet 5100 series

I have run into a sticky problem with the Windows 7 "universal" print driver. I have a HP dj5150 that has worked flawlessly printing greeting cards with Windows XP / Publisher 2000. I could always get 2 greeting cards on one 8.5 x 11 inch page, set to 0.3" margins. Now (with Win 7 64-bit / Publisher 2010) it cuts off the bottom half-inch of the bottom greeting card (or of the trailing edge in landscape mode). This is unacceptable. I have hundreds of card files set up that I should not have to change just because I "upgraded" to Win 7 / Office 2010.  Also, font weight in Word documents is inconsistent, with some lines printed in "normal" weight, some in bold. This happens most often in documents with graphics. None of the "fixes" or "work-arounds" I read about will address the problem, which is an inadequate print driver. Is there a REAL fix in the works? I should not have to consign a perfectly good printer to a landfill.

The printer works fine on my old XP machine, but I don't know how long that old fossil will continue to function.

Is there any hope of getting a driver that works?

PhD Student
bassergitz
Message 2 of 5 (2,245 Views)

Re: Need a Windows 7 64-bit driver for deskjet 5100 series

Have you followed the steps here?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01874725&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4063&product=304...
Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name : )
If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly : )
Happy Troubleshooting : )
Top Student
EarlH2O
Message 3 of 5 (2,233 Views)

@bassergitz:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, all the steps in the link were followed. It has the driver that Win 7 deems "correct." The printer still does not function properly when connected to the Win 7 machine, whereas it functions beautifully when connected to the XP machine. If we can correct the 2 issues I've described (i.e. 1. Large unprintable area at bottom of page and 2. Inconsistent font weight) I'll be happy as a clam.

PhD Student
bassergitz
Message 4 of 5 (2,230 Views)

If that's the case...the printer is in a good working condition since it works with XP.

Its the computer that needs microsoft updates.

Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name : )
If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly : )
Happy Troubleshooting : )
Top Student
EarlH2O
Message 5 of 5 (2,204 Views)

So...who is it who actually writes the driver software for HP printers? I originally thought it was Microsoft, since the drivers were loaded when I installed Win 7. So I went to their forum and explained my problem, and someone on the forum suggested I address the issue to the HP forum. If it is Microsoft who writes the software, maybe they don't particularly care about print quality. Or if it's HP, maybe they just want to sell new printers and fill up landfills with old ones. Whichever, I'd just like a driver that works. Are there any driver writers out there?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation