Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Photosmart All-in-One 7520
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I just upgraded my Mac operating system to El Capitan (10.11) 2 days ago.

Have the HP Photosmart All-in-One 7520.  The printer driver only goes up to Mountain Lion (10.6).  The printer works, but the scanner does not.

I've had Geek Squad go through everything on computer, look up most recent info on your site, etc.  Conclusion:  Need new driver for the scanner to be compatible with El Capitan.

Is a new driver in the works?  I would like to know as soon as it is available because I scan a lot of information weekly.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @DStrick

Glad to see you are utilizing the HP forums, this is a great question other customers may be wondering about too! I can help you obtain the necessary software for your 7520 to use with El Capitan! Once we resolve the issue, please mark the applicable post as Accept as Solution to help others find the answer to your question! 🙂

This download package contains the full software solution for Mac OS X El Capitan including all necessary software and driversFile name: HP-Inkjet-SW-OSX-Mavericks_v12.34.44.dmg

This Software was updated on October 1st 2015 and can be found here: Software and Driver Downloads for the Photosmart 7520

Please let me know if this does indeed resolve the issue, or if you require further assistance. Thanks. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi @DStrick

Glad to see you are utilizing the HP forums, this is a great question other customers may be wondering about too! I can help you obtain the necessary software for your 7520 to use with El Capitan! Once we resolve the issue, please mark the applicable post as Accept as Solution to help others find the answer to your question! 🙂

This download package contains the full software solution for Mac OS X El Capitan including all necessary software and driversFile name: HP-Inkjet-SW-OSX-Mavericks_v12.34.44.dmg

This Software was updated on October 1st 2015 and can be found here: Software and Driver Downloads for the Photosmart 7520

Please let me know if this does indeed resolve the issue, or if you require further assistance. Thanks. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I downloaded and tested printer and scan.  Scanner opened, scanned 3 pages in a row without freezing up.  It seems to be working.  I hope it fixed it.  🙂  If not, I'll be back and write.

Thank you!

Daylene

HP Recommended

NOT WORKING. It is not showing my printer in the list. I have no idea what the address of my printer is. I'M FRUSTRATED.

HP Recommended

The instructions are incomplete. You need to RESTART YOUR COMPUTER. Would have been nice if they had more COMPLETE instructions.

HP Recommended

Well, this is Daylene, again.

I have been using the scanner ok until today.

I downloaded the above and it was working ok, but today it will scan one page and then when prompted to scan the next page it freezes up and you have to close out.  I scan multiple pages at a time and put them in a .pdf format.  I can't do this now.  When looking at the task bar, the scanning program is not showing "not responding", it is just not going anywhere.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Thanks for coming back to let me know @DStrick, and rest assured I am still here to help! Based on your description, I suspect there is something interfering with the software. 

Let's reset the printing system, repair disk permissions, re-add the printer using the right driver, and try to scan again.

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon ( ), and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan  dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or  Ctrl  +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OK to confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected
Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Repair Disk Permissions
  1. On the Dock, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
  2. Double-click Disk Utility.
  3. Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left (by default this is "Macintosh HD").
  4. Click the Repair Disk Permissions button at the bottom of the window.
  5. Once the repair is complete, restart the computer and the printer, then add the printer back.

When you add the printer, please ensure you are using the HP driver.

1. Select Add other Printer or Scanner                                                      
    2. Select the printer you are adding and next to 'Use' you can select the printer driver 

Please try scanning a multiple page document now and let me know if we are back in business or not.  Thanks. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Very frustrated. Having read posts on this forum  about problems  I have downloaded the suggested updates  for Mac El Capitan for all in one 7520  in an effort to try and solve scanning problems. I can scan ,editand print  a document BUT  I cannot save this in anyway shape or form. Help !

HP Recommended

Hi @Ranger100

Are you using the full feature software and driver? If not, please download and install it using this File: HP-Inkjet-SW-OSX-Mavericks_v12.34.44.dmg

When you click the link below it will automatically begin downloading. I got this file from the HP Website I linked previously in message 2 (This Software was updated on October 1st, 2015 and can be found here: Software and Driver Downloads for the Photosmart 7520).

If you have installed the software already, are you indeed scanning with the HP Scan Software? What happens when you try to save a scan? You may find the following document helpful if you would like to explore you scanning options: HP Printers - How to Scan to a Mac (OS X).

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance. Thanks. :catvery-happy:

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Installed the new driver, unfortunately still need to turn the printer on and off to get it to print for every job, also the AirPrint does not show up.

went back, reset the printing system ( hold control while clicking on the area for the list of printers) , rest the printer back to factory settings,  connected the USB cable ( temporary) restarted the Mac, restarted the printer restarted the router.

turned these back on in the sequence, router, printer, Mac, started the above referenced installation program, the printer got added quite smoothly and quickly, removed the USB cable..... Stared the print job and alais.... Cannot find printer. Restarted the printer and during the startup the pages get printed.

restarted the Mac and router, no success.

tried to print from the iPad printer does not show up. 

There is a wireless connection for the printer visible under the wireless settings, but when I try to connect it asks for a password and I do not know what that is.

any suggestions?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.