Question

Intern
glnz
Message 1 of 37 (28,266 Views)

New firmware for OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g

Just noticed there is a Firmware update for the OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g. 

It's at

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-74690-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3752459&os=228&lang=en

But it's not entirely clear what this will do - the explanation is short on detail.  Does anyone know?

If you've installed this update, what differences have you noticed?  Do you like it?

Thanks.

Intern
Violator
Message 2 of 37 (28,236 Views)

Re: New firmware for OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g

According to my resources.. here are the enhancements to the firmware:

I.      Fax default speed change to medium for better fax transmission.

II.      Optimize the print head life.

III.      Dissolve the network error message/code “B5xxxxxx” when a 2 Wire AT&T router is used

IV.      Optimize the ink level display on the control panel

Intern
glnz
Message 3 of 37 (28,231 Views)

Violator:  Yes, I saw that very brief description on the web page for the firmware update.  It's not very clear what is being changed, and how.  What is my current fax speed?  If it's high, I might prefer that it stay high.  How is print head life being "optimized"?  is HP just changing estimates for same or is it actually doing something that will reduce wear and tear on the heads?  I don't have problem III, but what means "dissolve"?  How exactly are the ink level displays being "optimized"?

Since this firmware update would be flashed into the 8500, I assume it cannot be reversed.  I'd like to know what others think after they've actually tried it.

All who try this firmware update should post here, even if it's boringly succesful.

Intern
glnz
Message 4 of 37 (28,198 Views)

If anyone tries the firmware, please DO add a Reply here and let us know whether you're OK with it. In the meantime, I also sent a query directly to HP, and this is HP's response, in excellent English:

[My name], I would like to inform you that as I found that you are a tech savvy person and you are egger to know what the updates will do and what is for. Below is the answer of your question please revert back if you wish to know something else we will be very happy to assist you.

1) What is the original fax speed? If it's high, I might prefer that it stay high.

Answer: - Medium speed is the default speed so the transmission of data can reach easily.

2) How is print head life being "optimized"? Is HP just changing estimates for same or is it actually doing something that will reduce wear and tear on the heads?

Answer: - It will reduce.

3) What means "dissolve" an error message?

Answer:- due to router when there is print command given some time it shows a error as with this code (B5xxxxxxx) will resolve the error so never shows this kind of error message.

4) How exactly are the ink level displays being "optimized"?

Answer: - Sometime the ink level on control panel and the solution center ink level differ so this firmware will resolve the issue.

Intern
glnz
Message 5 of 37 (28,049 Views)

HEY!!

IS ANYONE TRYING THIS FIRMWARE UPDATE OR WHAT ??

POST HERE WHETHER YOU LIKE IT, SEE NO DIFFERENCE, HAVE AN ISSUE, ETC. !!

Intern
glnz
Message 6 of 37 (27,937 Views)

Anyone out there?  Has no one tried this?
Tutor
z3540i
Message 7 of 37 (27,797 Views)

I tried to update the firmware.  I was unsuccessful:

I downloaded the update, ran the update, but it did not identify the networked printer.  As per direction, I attached it via wired ethernet, but no success.  I tried USB connection, again no go.  (I turned off my wireless card on my laptop in both cases)  I verified both connections (wired ethernet and USB) were working by opening "HP Solution Center" and it said I was connected to the pinter (ie. I can view ink levels).  When I launch the update utility, there are no networked printers identified.  As per instructions, I clicked "Find Printers on Network".  This is where the process cannot ID my printer via wired ethernet.  With the USB connection, the process just stalls saying "Searching for printers in your network.  Please wait....".  I have tried this process several times after re-boots.  BTW, I did disable my firewall/antivirus before all attempts.

This may be the reason no one has responded.....the update doesn't work!!!

Honor Student
roady001
Message 8 of 37 (27,679 Views)

I tried the update, because I had a problem with printing borderless; at some unexpected times it left a small white border on HP brochure paper even though the drives was instructed not to do so.

The update itself went pretty smooth: just one executable that automagically transfers the firmware over the network to the printer and starts the update. The printer itself rebooted and started installing its firmware in a 5 step process which took like 15 minutes or so and ended in another reboot. This is where a small problem started: The process was hanging at the initial diagnostics procedure. On a windows machine a message popped up stating that the printheads would be stuck and suggested I rebooted the printer. The on/off button did not work (some error like: process can not be stopped) so I ended up unplugging the power chord. After re-plugging the printer started up again; first it presented a screen telling me that I should never unplug the chord like that and asking me to press the OK button. And that was it; the normal screen popped up again and al was good.

And yes, the border problem hasn't presented itself yet; so I'm hoping this firmware update has resolved this problem definitely!

Intern
glnz
Message 9 of 37 (27,683 Views)

Roady:  Any other effects?
Honor Student
roady001
Message 10 of 37 (27,659 Views)

Haven't notice any other effect... I did take a look at the ink levels before and after updating but didn't notice any significant chance there either. Of course I don't know about the ink heads; however when HP states the ink heads will have a better life then I guess they don't have a reason to lie about it.

What's keeping you from updating anywhay? It's not that it will take functionality away from you, and they do promiss better ink heads life so probably your TCO will be reduced which in the end we all like right? Go go go and fly into this big adventure!  :smileyvery-happy:
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation