Question
New firmware for OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g
Replies (36)

Student
drjohn67
Message 31 of 37 (2,925 Views)

New firmware for OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless A909n

I installed a new ink cartridge and the printer won't acknowledge it. This firmware update is supposed to fix this problem, but when I follow the directions on the HP web page to the "drivers and downloads" site, there's no option for a firmware update. I'm on a Mac with OS-X. Any ideas?

Tutor
z3540i
Message 32 of 37 (2,888 Views)

Re: New firmware for OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g

Hi drjohn67

Not sure of your "geekdomness", so I will start with some basics (don't want to insult your intelligence).  Try these steps:

1.  Make sure the new cartridge's expiration date is good.

2.  Clean the Printhead Contacts as described here:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01615896&tmp_track_link=ot_recdoc/c01623635/en_...

This may not be the exact cartridge but you can get the gist of the procedure.

3.  Make sure the cartridge is pushed in all the way.

4.  Make sure the cartridge door is pushed in all the way.

5.  Turn off the printer and disconnect from the wall outlet.  Wait 1 min.  Plug back in and turn on.

6.  I'm not familiar with Mac OS-X so see if this helps:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01846935&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3752459#N12...

7.  If all else fails, return your cartridge and replace it with another one.

This all that I can think of.  Good Luck!!

Student
jsgordon420
Message 33 of 37 (2,761 Views)

thank you KenAlker for the link.  worked like a charm.. printer is "going through the motions" now

Student
Catalina588
Message 34 of 37 (2,719 Views)

Installed fairly well. After a "successful install" message from HP, Windows 7 said "would you like to try again with compatibility settings to make this work?"  I tried that, but the flashing was already underway.

The firmware upgrade says it is supposed to fix a false Tray choice. That is not fixed. I have two machines that recently started to use Tray 1 (which does not exist) and bypass Tray 2 (8500 A909g default) under every page preference,

Honor Student
Woodrat
Message 35 of 37 (2,267 Views)

Yes, I tried it. It installed OK as the utility reported, but then gave me a BSOD with error B808461C. Printer is totaly unresponsive. So called solution only works IF the printer is responsive. This printer is NOT responsive and no solution on the horizon.  DO NOT INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE UPDATE!

Honor Student
sooner49
Message 36 of 37 (188 Views)

Several have asked if they should update the firmware on their 8500.  I doubt that HP will let this broadcast but here goes.  Unless you are very good at saving crashed printers stay away from it like the plague.  I tried installing it and it aturned my function printer into a boat anchor.  I won't go into how many were wrong with it.  The first thing I saw was the printer went into and endless of checking hardware... alighnment etc.   I called HP tech support 2x.  The people that I talked to, in all fairness to them were clueless. The first used the old the hardware is bad blah blah blah.  The second was a little more creative  He waited at least half an hour before offering to sell me a new printer.  Thats nice but I was just in best buy :to buy more cartridges by the way $64, and saw the printer he offered  to sell me for $10  less??.  Sounds like the old HP to me.  And by the way if you do try it and have my luck, the way to do a full factory reset is #9 when you start it up for a full restore an #6 to do a semi restore, which by the way  still isn't back to like a new printer.   Just a little hint if you did  it right the screen will come up saying  you have.Good Luck.

On another note .  Before I ran the update I had 2 new cartridges  b/m  , and the  c/y were half full. By the time I unplugged it, all of the colors were bone dry and the black 1/4 gone from trying to clean the heads etc.

An old sales addage "let the buyer beware"

Honor Student
sooner49
Message 37 of 37 (188 Views)

Look at the posting from sooner49.  It might help you decide,  It was sent in 4/26 so it be doen in the stack.  Good luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation