No drivers on HP site for PhotoSmart C4580 for Mac OSX Lion (3865 Views)
Honor Student
EricWK
Message 1 of 8 (3,865 Views)
Accepted Solution

No drivers on HP site for PhotoSmart C4580 for Mac OSX Lion

I have a Photosmart C4580. I updated my Mac Book to OSX Lion about 6 months ago. Reinstalled the printer software and have had no problems. That is until AT&T Uverse sent me a new gateway/modem. Of course with the new wireless modem I have to get the printer connected to the network. I could not get that to work so I decided to uninstall and reinstall the printer. When I go to the HP website there are no drivers for this printer for Mac OSX. I am not a tech savvy person, btw. Thanks.
Distinguished Professor
SeanS
Message 2 of 8 (3,856 Views)

Re: No drivers on HP site for PhotoSmart C4580 for Mac OSX Lion

Hey Erik. With Lion you do not need to download any drivers, they are automatically installed by Apple Software Updates. Here is a document that walks you through how to install the printer in Lion: OS X 10.7 Lion: Installing and Using the Printer with Lion

Let me know if this gets the printer properly working on the wireless network.

Good luck,

Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Honor Student
EricWK
Message 3 of 8 (3,839 Views)

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your help.  

I had completely uninstalled the printer and before I could get to the steps you sent me so I had to reinstall the software for the printer which I had saved.  I also had to reconfigure the network settings since my new AT&T Uverse modem created a whole new network.  I checked the network settings after that and the printer had the new network name and said all was ok.  I then went through the steps on the link you showed me, including updating the software.

Everything worked fine but now my MacBook is saying "the printer is offline".  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Eric

Honor Student
EricWK
Message 4 of 8 (3,837 Views)

Sean,

Just to update, I found that it wouldl print with a USB cable.  Then I opened the "print and scan" under "system preferences".  There are two PhotoSmart C4500's listed.  One is called HP PhotoSmart C4500" and says "offline".  The other is called just PhotoSmart C4500" and is idle.  Just for grins, I clicked on the idle one and set it as the default and it works wirelessly.  What is the other one?  It seems to be the USB setting.  Don't get it.

Thanks again,

Eric

Distinguished Professor
SeanS
Message 5 of 8 (3,833 Views)

It sounds like you have installed the printer twice and there is some sort of bug with the "offline" printer. I would just go ahead an remove it if everything works as it should with the new "idle" printer.

-Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Distinguished Professor
SeanS
Message 6 of 8 (3,817 Views)

Eric,

Saw you marked my post as the solution. Glad it solved your issue. If you ever have any other issues feel free to post them in the forum.

Take care,

Sean

Honor Student
bycrikey
Message 7 of 8 (3,423 Views)

I have had this problem of most of the last year - Apple cannnot load the driver for this device as it is apparently 'currwntly unavailable'. It is perpetually unavailable. Has the driveer been discotinued?

NotAvailable.png

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 8 of 8 (3,408 Views)

It looks like the driver for this printer should either be preinstalled with the OS, or that you can get it through Apple Updates.  There is not other software for the printer though.  Here is the document that SeanS linked earlier in the thread.  Let me know if you need more help.

OS X 10.7 Lion: Installing and Using the Printer with Lion

Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation