Question

Top Student
JGreg7
Message 1 of 11 (13,875 Views)

OfficeJet 6500 Won't Scan with Windows 7 - HP TouchSmart

I have the follwoing two items that I am trying to use together:

HP 23" TouchSmart Desktop, T6500 2.1GHz 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD (Windows 7)

HP OfficeJet 6500 Multi-Function Printer/Scanner/Fax

When I try to scan from the OfficeJet 6500  to Adobe Acrobat Professional 9.0, the document goes through the scanner, however the dialog box that I would expect (e.g. "Next Page" or "Done") never shows up.  At this point, the system is unresponsive with respect to Adobe or the printer.

I suspect that the program is waiting for the input from the dialog box that never showed up.  I tried to move the other windows to see if the dialog opened in the background, however I am not able to select any of them (they remain frozen).  The Computer is still operational, I can do a Ctrl+Alt+Delete and close the programs, but this just puts me back to square one.

I contacted HP Support, only to have them tell me it must be the driver, and I have an "old" printer.  (I did not realize that a 9 month old printer was considered "old").  Note: the Officejet 6500 is still on sale as the current model at many electronics stores. 

The HP tech support seemed to be more interested in selling me the extended warranty than actually solving the problem.  In any case, HP was unable to resolve the problem of having an HP computer work properly with an HP printer.  (Even after I purchased the extended warranty).

After several hours on the phone through multiple phone calls, multiple installs and driver updates, HP’s response was that the correct driver was not available.  This response is perplexing to me since these are both new items, both made by HP, and they tell me that they have no drivers??!!

Has anyone else heard of this?  Is there a resolution?

Honor Student
leevpham
Message 2 of 11 (13,855 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 6500 Won't Scan with Windows 7 - HP TouchSmart

[ Edited ]

I have the same EXACT problem. It is very frustrating. Let me add some 'symptoms' in hopes that we can get an answer:

1. This freeze only occurs after the front sides of multiple pages go through the feed scanner.
  2. The freeze can be delayed (but not avoided) by scanning the front pages only a few at a time (less than 5). Once those 5 front pages are scanned, I may or may not get a prompt to scan additional pages or the opposite sides for two sided scanning.
  3. This feature used to work with no problem for me. It seems to have stopped working when Adobe sent an update to my software several weeks ago.
  4. I think this may have something to do with the settings that Acrobat uses (see create scan menu > configure). I toyed with the settings once and got a two-sided scan to work, but only once after this problem surfaced and only few a very limited number of pages (no more than 3).

I have a HP Pavilion dv3 Notebook PC (model FJ684AV) connected wirelessly to a HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series. I am running Windows 7. All other features work fine. I have successfully scanned many pages with the exact same set up, double-sided with Acrobat 9 in the past. This issue just sprung up one day and I cannot figure out why it happened or how to fix it.

Honor Student
leevpham
Message 3 of 11 (13,834 Views)

JGreg7,

I figured something out. It's not the optimal fix, but it works.

In Acrobat, Create from Scanner > Custom Scan, window opens

In the 'Scanner' drop down menu, select "WIA-Officejet 6500 E709x"

In the 'Sides' drop down menu, select "Both Sides"

Click the 'Options...' button, and make sure that the 'Data Transfer Method is in Native Mode. Click 'OK' to get back to the Custom Scan menu

Click the 'Scan' button

Now another menu will pop up. Set the color, source, and paper size. Be careful: the defaults are flatbed for source and legal for paper size. Click the 'Scan' button.

Let all of the front sides feed. When they are done, Acrobat will prompt you with three options (done, add more front sides, or add back sides). If you choose to add more or to scan back sides, then you have to repeat the paper source/paper size/color menu above, and repeat changing the settings from their weird defaults.

Sorry that this isn't the most elegant solution (i.e., making it work the way it is supposed to (I used to be able to do this straight into Acrobat without that extra menu before Adobe sent out 9.3.2)). But good luck, and let's hope this gets fixed the right way by the pros soon.

Honor Student
printerbuyer
Message 4 of 11 (13,814 Views)

I had one of these printers for 10 months.  HP identified that the Windows XP driver was deffective 4 times but never updated the driver.  After 10 months the paper feed failed catastrophically.  I returned the printer as not fir for puprpose.  I recommend you do the same.  This is a lemon.

Top Student
JGreg7
Message 5 of 11 (13,731 Views)

Update:

I was finally able to resolve the issue - sort-of....

As it turns out, the "Driver only" version of the software does not work with third party programs (e.g. non-HP programs).  After multiple re-installs and countless hours on the phone with HP's "Tech Support" (sic), I came across probably the only English (as a primary language) speaking individual, that was actually trained on how these things work.  The HP software does not work with Adobe Acrobat in many cases.  Apparently HP does not consider this to be a normal application of their scanning capabilities of the All-in-one equipment.

The final solution is to remove all traces of the old-other version of the HP printer software (not an easy task), and then re-install the "Full" version of the software.  Although this limits your scanning capabilities, and is rather cumbersome to use, it does actually work.

As a side note, I wanted to install the "Driver only" version of the software to avoid the normally bloated HP "Full Feature Software" version.

I hope this helps the next person who has these problems....Good Luck!

Honor Student
keithaporter
Message 6 of 11 (12,797 Views)

Thanks so much. This works. As you say, not optimally, but well enough to last me until I can buy a better scanner.  

Vista SP 2 32 bit with Acrobat pro 9.2.0. 

Honor Student
hpsoftwarebug
Message 7 of 11 (12,360 Views)

I have an HP 6500 E709a wired printer to  a network and HP cannot get the scan mode to work.  In fact, they cannot even get one of the Dell desk tops to accept the scan software.  They have spent 4 days/several hours a day trying to configure.  They said it is an isolated problem with my system, yet there are hundreds of 6500 owners complaining of the exact same problem.  HP tried using the CD and the software on the website and they cannot get it to load.  So, I cannot scan, even though the product is advertised as an all in one system, scanner included.  The product does not work as advertised and HP tech denies the problem, but cannot offer a fix. The error code is 8, [(1, 0, -2147221496)]  Did you find any answers?

Student
donuser
Message 8 of 11 (10,692 Views)

My Adobe Acrobat 9 Standard also freezes when multiple pages are scanned using an HP Officejet 6500 Wireless. My operating system is 64-bit Windows 7, which is running on an HP Pavilion Model p6329f. As has been reported by numerous others, the Adobe dialog box with options of “Next Page” or “Done” fails to appear after scanning several pages. Adobe then freezes. Consequently, Adobe fails to display the scanned images, the scanned images cannot be captured, and all data is lost. Terminating Adobe via the Task Manager becomes the only option.

Although the “HP Solution Center” successfully scans and saves multiple pages to a file, extra steps are required, which render that as a work around unacceptable. Before recent software updates, the Adobe product worked flawlessly with the HP 6500.

Like others, I also spent hours on the telephone with an HP tech person. She had me repeatedly uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers – to no avail.  English was not her primary language, which impeded my ability to explore other options with her. Nevertheless, she clearly stated her opinion that the problem is a defect in the Adobe software. Her conclusion is probably correct, since the “HP Solution Center” software scans multiple pages flawlessly.

With so many systems affected by such a devastating problem, it is time for Adobe to break its silence on the issue and step forward with a fix.

Student
ealfaro
Message 9 of 11 (8,963 Views)

I started having this problem right after allowing updates to Adobe.  I ended up un-installing the newest Adobe version 9.4.4 and re-installing 9.4.0.....everything went right back to working perfectly with regards to the scan to PDF (without opening the HP Solution Centre).  Hope this helps!  

Student
ryang4646
Message 10 of 11 (8,293 Views)

[ Edited ]

HP only wants money,, thats all they care about..i had my officejet 6500 for 5 months now and when i want to scan something, it tells me that im not connected to the internet, when ive been on. then when i try to go to my computer and see where the HP printer device is, its no where to be found, but yet, i was able to scana and i can still print as of now...{Content Removed}

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation