Question

Top Student
blueeyes88
Message 1 of 8 (6,056 Views)

Officejet 5510 Alignment page not detected - solution erroneously accepted

I originally posted this problem and erroneously accepted the reply as solving the problem.  I still have the problem.  Please help!

Hi, I just replaced the black cartridge (# HP56) with an HP cartridge.  The color cartridge did not need to and was not replaced.  I attempted to Align the print cartridge but repeatedly receive the following error message:

Error: Align page not detected. 

I repeated this process several times and always get the same message.  The copy prints fine.  I also cleaned the scanner glass with the appropriate solution.  Can anyone help?  Would I also have to change the color cartridge when I replace the black cartridge?  Thanks so much for any ideas.

I received the following advice from R7S7i7 which did not solve the problem but erroneously accepted the reply as solving the problem:

Did you try to remove both cartridges and re-insert them. Even the one that did not need replacement. You can also try to clean the copper contacts on the color cartridge and try to trigger the printer to think it is new.

Otherwise did see what happened when reinserting the old cartridge?
Refilled cartridges may always cause problems but I assume you are using official HP's :smileyhappy:

I replied with the following....please help:

Thank you so much Wendy....tried your suggestions....removed and reinserted both cartridges...tried the alignment...received the same error message:

Error: Align page not detected. 

Also tried to clean the cartridges using the tools application...10 Setup 2) 5 and 3) 1.  Then tried to Align Print Cartridge but received the same error message.

I did not try to clean the color print cartridge contacts (the one I did not replace) yet.  

I am an accountant that was just laid off from Citibank and am using the 5510 primarily for black copying of some tax return pages (the ones I signed).  I also have a hp laserjet 1300 which I use for my heavy printing.  I am not using the color printing feature of the 5510 now. 

So far the alignment pages are printing fine.  I hope this continues to be the case, but I am aggravated that the alignment error keeps coming up.  Do you think I have a problem if I hold off trying to clean the color cartridge contacts for a while?  I wouldn't think I would have to clean the new black (HP 56) cartridge which I just replaced very carefully not to touch the contacts or ink nozzles.

PS I am using new HP cartridges only.

Thank you so much for your advice.

Regards,

Jeff

Kudos!
Tutor
r7s7i7
Message 2 of 8 (6,037 Views)

Re: Officejet 5510 Alignment page not detected - solution erroneously accepted

Hi Jeff.

Sorry to see that my suggestions did not work (and the unfortunate events....)

So, although I am not to knowledgeable on the product let's see how far we can get.

I assume the error comes up on the officejet itself and not on the PC.
You mentioned you are not using the color cartridge regularly (or at all) and you mentioned the alignment page prints out fine *althought the error keeps appearing*

So you can see color on the alignment page. It is not because of the low usage, the ink may have dried up or the cartridge and cradle may have gotten a bit dirty.

Did you already see this troubleshooting documents? It also mentions how to clean those copper contacts (in my past experience as an agent long long time ago that sometimes was a miracle step...no guarantees though ;-)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&rule=19167&product=311255&doc...

What happened when you tried with the old black cartridge again? Probably threw that away already...The issue started after replacing with the new one right...small chance the new cartridge is faulty...very small...but if the old one still works maybe it narrows it down to the new black cartridge...

If all fails...maybe, a sort of reset may do the trick...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00489814&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=311255

*crossing fingers*
Greetings
Wendy

Top Student
blueeyes88
Message 3 of 8 (6,029 Views)

Thank you so very much Wendy....I will try your suggestions but I am up against the wall with preparing tax returns now.  I will continue to print the returns with the black cartridge....it seems to work for now....the color cartidge has not been used for quite a while so you might have hit the answer....I will try all your suggestions, but like I said....the people are calling for their returns and I am flustered....will let you know howI do as soon as I get to try the alternatives.....keeping my fingers crossed for the ability to use the black cartridge for copies....You are really a sweetheart for your suggestions....will get back to you asap....My best, Grandpa Jeff
Tutor
r7s7i7
Message 4 of 8 (5,995 Views)

Hello "grandpa" Jeff.

No worries. I just leave you with this and the pile of work you have waiting for you and I will check back regularly to see if you need any further help.

Cross my fingers..hoping for a solution ;-)

Have a good day
Wendy

Top Student
kyra
Message 5 of 8 (5,965 Views)

Hi,

In order to complete the alignment process successfully, both the catridges must have minimum 30% of ink on them.

Check the ink level of the color catridge and black catridges also.

If you do not want to replace the color catridges you can follow the below steps to bypass the alignemt process:

Press and hold Setup and then press OK simultaneously when align message is prompted on the All-in-One.

Once done try to turn off and then turn on the printer and check for the result.

Top Student
blueeyes88
Message 6 of 8 (5,958 Views)

Hi Kyra...Thank you for your suggestion, but when I press setup, the machine goes through the complete menu of all functions i.e. copy, fax tools.  In order to get to the align function, you have to press 5 and then 2 (Align)....I removed both cartridges (black [new one] and color) and replaced them.  When I pressed setup, then 5 and then 2 and immediately pressed 'ok', it still printed the alignment page and I scanned it again....same error message....maybe you cannot bypass the alignment process as you suggested.  BUT I will check to see if I have 30% in the color cartridge....after tax season!   Right now the black copying is working (fingers crossed!!!!)  If you have any thoughts on this, please let me know....Thanks again, Grandpa Jeff
Student
Merrymeet
Message 7 of 8 (5,684 Views)

I had the same problems with the alignment page not scanning, and Kyra's solution worked. Turns out that our All-in-One (C4240 for Mac OS X) was low on both black & white and color ink cartridges. That mean that the color lines in the alignment page weren't printing in their true color, so (presumably) the scanner couldn't detect them. As soon as we replaced both the color and the B&W, the alignment page printed correctly, and the scanner detected the document. Problem solved - thanks, Kyra.

What's frustrating about the product is that eventually the "alignment page not detected" error turned into a "USB not connected" error, which would suggest an entirely different solution than just changing the ink cartridge. The printer should have stuck with its original error message and - in a perfect world - suggested changing both ink cartridges.

Student
i3akachan
Message 8 of 8 (1,953 Views)

[ Edited ]

This message is a couple of years late, but I had the same problem as Jeff for a few weeks after I installed my new cartridges.  I was pretty annoyed that my computer kept reminding me to align my printer every time it detected the printer, because I wasn't really using the printer for anything that needed very good print quality--just text.  I would have been happy with it not being aligned, but the message kept appearing.

Driven by the desire to clear the error message, I went in search of the solution.  I tried cleaning the cartidges, cleaning the ink smear, cleaning the printhead, checking the scanner resolution, etc.  All of these failed.  Finally, I realized something funny going on with my printed pages.  Sometimes the things I printed came out slightly rotated, or the paper came out slightly wrinkled.  Then I realized that the PAPER WIDTH GUIDES were pulled all the way out so that the paper feeding into the printer was not straight.  I pushed the paper width guides so that they cradled the paper nicely, and I tried the alignment again.  Lo and behold, it worked!  

It seems like if the alignment page is printed slightly warped or rotated, it can't be detected.  In order for the cartidges to be aligned, the paper needs to be aligned when it goes in.

Solution: Push the paper width guides in!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation