Question

Honor Student
docroc67
Message 1 of 8 (15,924 Views)

Officejet 5510 Vista or Windows7 drivers

I received an email from HP this AM advertising supplies for my Officejet 5510.  I thought this somewhat ironic, since HP has never seen fit to provide a driver either for Vista or for Windows7.

Although I can print from Vista, my options are limited and, with most apps, I can't choose to print only a selection of text.  And with Quicken (any version) I can't print at all, even with the workarounds that have been suggested in the Quicken forum.

As a long-time HP fan, I now find myself having to decide what to buy to replace the HP 5510, so it will give me full features under Vista, Windows7, and XP Pro (which I still have on one PC).  The lack of support on the 5510 makes me a little leery of buying another HP printer.  

Any advice?

Teacher
Navbond007
Message 2 of 8 (15,904 Views)

Re: Officejet 5510 Vista or Windows7 drivers

Hi docroc 67,

Unfortunately the full feature software solution is available only for Windows XP. This could be because the product is considerably old. Vista and Win 7 have built in drivers for Officejet 5510 with which you can still have printing and scanning capabilities. As a workaround you can try installing Quicken on Win XP machine and attempt to print from that application. If you continue to see the issue, install generic print drivers like 900c and try printing.

Follow these steps to install the HP Deskjet 990C print driver. You can use this print driver as an alternate to the driver installed with your product to avoid the product printing blank pages.

NOTE:

This alternate print driver does not affect other product features, such as scanning and copying.

1. Click Start , and then click Control Panel . The Control Panel opens in a new window.

2. Right-click the Printers and Faxes folder ( ), and then click Open . The Printers and Faxes window opens.

3. Under Printer Tasks , click Add a Printer . The Windows Add Printer Wizard opens.

4. Click Next .

5. Click Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer to clear the checkmark, and then click Next .

6. In the Use the following port drop-down list, select USB 0001 or USB Virtual printer port , and then click Next .

7. In the Manufacturer pane, click HP .

8. In the Printers pane, click hp deskjet 990c , and then click Next .

9. Type a name for the new driver in the Printer name box, or leave the default name, and then click Next .

10.  Select Yes under Do you want to use this printer as the default printer , and then click Next .

11.  Click Do not share this printer , and then click Next .

12.  Select Yes or No under Do you want to print a test page , and then click Next .

13.  Click Finish to complete the driver installation.

14.  Select hp deskjet 990c from the Print dialog box any time you print to your product. The product will now process print jobs using the alternate driver.

Thanks

Naveen K

HP Support Engineering Center

Click on BLACK STAR button to say thanks

(Although employed by HP, I'm trying to address the issues with my sole willingness and my employer does not bear any liability for my responses)

docroc67 wrote:

I received an email from HP this AM advertising supplies for my Officejet 5510.  I thought this somewhat ironic, since HP has never seen fit to provide a driver either for Vista or for Windows7.

Although I can print from Vista, my options are limited and, with most apps, I can't choose to print only a selection of text.  And with Quicken (any version) I can't print at all, even with the workarounds that have been suggested in the Quicken forum.

As a long-time HP fan, I now find myself having to decide what to buy to replace the HP 5510, so it will give me full features under Vista, Windows7, and XP Pro (which I still have on one PC).  The lack of support on the 5510 makes me a little leery of buying another HP printer.  

Any advice?

Honor Student
samdhatk
Message 3 of 8 (12,119 Views)

Naveen

Your instructions work fine for a printer connected locally. However, my 5510 is connected via USB to a Windows XP computer and works fine on that computer

Now, over the network, I want capability to print from my Windows 7 laptop (through the XP computer of course). Can you detail steps on how to install the 900C driver? I think I have to first choose the path and install this way - \\xpcomputer\hpoffice5510 and then it'll prompt me for drivers. Right?

Thanks!

Student
eleb
Message 4 of 8 (11,234 Views)

I have successfully set up my Windows 7 laptop to print to an Officejet 5510xi shared from my desktop running Windows XP. Here is how you can succeed also:

First, you have to connect your Windows 7 machine to the printer via usb.

Allow the printer to fully install--it takes a few minutes.

Disconnnect the usb from the Windows 7 machine and connect it to the Windows XP machine again.

On the Windows 7 machine, click Start>Devices and Printers>Add a Printer. Select network or shared computer, and continue through the installation.

Best of luck!

Honor Student
samdhatk
Message 5 of 8 (10,726 Views)

Did not work for me. I have a plain hp officejet 5510 and even after installing the local drivers when connected directly via USB into the windows 7 x64 machine, it says printer installed but next to it, gives me a troubleshooting option means something is wrong. Doing troubleshooting doesn't lead anywhere

Ddi you install it on windows 7 x32 or x64?

There's also a universal print driver from HP but it does not support the 5510

Student
SeeDanRun
Message 6 of 8 (8,100 Views)

FINNALY --- found a driver that works (at least to print) for an hp officejet 5510 and windows 7.

Go to this website --- http://drivers.downloadatoz.com/tutorial/27803,hp-officejet-5510-printer-drivers-free-download-for-w... and about half way down your will find the link for HP OfficeJet 5510 Printer Install Wizard for Windows 7 .

Follow the wizard BUT --- at last step when it tells you to select the driver yourself -- instead have it search for the driver online.  It will pick the generic  officejet 5500 series driver and that worked to print for my officejet 5510xi printer.

I know this is not full funtionality but at least I can print now.

Tutor
EbuHyem
Message 7 of 8 (3,569 Views)

The model number HP OfficeJet 5510

Method 1: 
You may refer to the below links and use the troubleshooters. Check if it lists and helps resolve any issues: Open the Printer troubleshooter: 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&tmp_geoLoc=true&product=31125...

Method 2: 
You may check if you have the latest drivers installed for the device. You may refer to the below link for getting the latest drivers and check. 

HP Officejet 5510 Driver

Good Works..

Teacher
pctech33
Message 8 of 8 (3,564 Views)

Go to www.hp.com Enter the product name / number. Be sure to check the additional information, like how to install the driver or troubleshooting guides.