Question

Intern
blegs38552
Message 1 of 31 (16,785 Views)
Accepted Solution

Officejet 6300 Windows 7 Drivers

According to the HP web site, Windows 7 can be used when the printer is connected to a computer via USB, although faxing from a computer is not supported. There is apparently no current support for this device when it is connected via a wired network, which is the primary reason that I bought this printer.

I am able to scan and print using the Vista software after much agonizing in Win 7 Professional, but am not able to fax. The only way I can fax is to remotely connect to a netowrked PC that is running Vista, and to fax my document from that machine, assuming the document is on a shared drive. 

HP has had an opportunity to develop working drivers for Windows 7 since January of this year, when the first public beta was released. Apparently, this was not enough time for them to get it right.

Are there any plans to fully support Windows 7 functionality for this device in a networked environment?

PhD Student
cnfrisch
Message 2 of 31 (16,755 Views)

Re: Officejet 6300 Windows 7 Drivers

Conventional faxing requires a modem that is connected to a telephone line.  Does your computer have a fax modem installed and is it connected to a telephone line?
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - Consumer

Intern
blegs38552
Message 3 of 31 (16,753 Views)

Yes.

The all-in-one is connected via Ethernet to a Vista Business Edition desktop computer that has a modem. I am trying to fax from my Windows 7Professional laptop that is also connected via Ethernet to the network. I can do this by remote connection to the desktop computer, but (I would think) I should be able to send the fax over the network using the HP 6300 Fax driver.

However, there are no drivers for this printer available for Win 7 except for the native Win 7 printer drivers which do not help for either scanning or faxing. This also leads me to question whether I will be able to fax from the desktop machne if I upgrade it to Windows 7.

PhD Student
cnfrisch
Message 4 of 31 (16,745 Views)

Have you tried HP's Network Diagnostic Utility?
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - Consumer

Intern
blegs38552
Message 5 of 31 (16,736 Views)

I ran it and it identified my printer. That is a good thing, but what else should I expect it to do?
Tutor
jiminfla88
Message 6 of 31 (16,722 Views)

Ok, I have the Officejet 6310. I have contacted HP because it would error when installing. The printer works fine, however the fax feature does not. The HP Solutions Center will not load. Months back, HP said they would have FULLL FEATURE software out on Oct 22. Well today I looked and there is a link.....Great I thought. BUT, after clicking the link and reading the instructions, 1-there is NO FULL FEATURE SOFTWARE. 2-THE FAX FROM PC DOES NOT AND WILL NOT WORK!!!!! That Fax from PC feature is what I use everyday. So, after MONTHS of waiting...Still NOTHING. Way to go HP!
Teacher
pbug56
Message 7 of 31 (16,662 Views)

Carey,

I have a 7310XI (still under HP contract) and the HP site says it works under Win 7.  Ther reality, of course, is that all that works is printing.  We bought this as a network printer, and normally don't use USB with it.  We still want to scan, to use its FAX capability.  The funny part is that the nearly useless add on software is the only thing that works under Win 7.

BTW, from what I can tell, the only reason the drivers won't work or install under Win 7 is that they are hard coded in installation and run time to check the OS and not work on an OS version it doesn't know about.  In contrast, I have a sound card first sold in the late 1980's that still works under Win 7.

Tutor
jiminfla88
Message 8 of 31 (16,632 Views)

Well, yesterday HP released instructions on how to connect printer. Today they released the Full Version Software. However if you have the RC version (7100) it will not load, it tells you that you have to have an Original release (7600). Workaround. Download the software, extract with 7-zip. open the autorun file and select EDIT then FIND and type in 7600. replace this with 7100, keep hitting find next and replacing until it doesn't find anymore. Save the Autorun file and click setup and it will load on your RC version. Why HP had to put that in there is just stupid.

Intern
blegs38552
Message 9 of 31 (16,592 Views)

OK - credit where it is due. Full drivers have been released and they work on my Win 7 Professional installation.

A couple of points, however.

1. The VISTA install gave me a choice of what software to install. The Win 7 install does not - it just goes ahead and installs everything. It would me nice to be given the choice.
  2. I still cannot fax to my All in one which is connected to another PC (a Vista Business PC) on my network. I tried using both the MS Windows and Scanning Tool, and the HP fax printer. Maybe this just cannot be done, but it would be nice if I could (I can connect to this PC remotely through Windows and faxfrom a shared drive, but would like another way to do it).
Intern
blegs38552
Message 10 of 31 (16,537 Views)

This is really nice - has scan to pdf option now. It would be nice if HP would upgrade the Vista drivers and software to support features such as this too.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation