Question

Honor Student
Gunner71
Message 1 of 5 (185 Views)

Officejet 6500 E709n - Unable to install driver on windows 8.1

I downloaded the latest driver from the HP website for my Deskjet 6500 E709n all in one for my new windows 8.1 tablet.  When I tried to install the full software and driver I recieve an error message - The system could not find specified file. This message occured during the installation process after clicking Install from the installation software menu.

HP Support Agent
JERENDS
Message 2 of 5 (160 Views)

Re: Officejet 6500 E709n - Unable to install driver on windows 8.1

Hello Gunner71,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you are trying to install the Officejet 6500 E709n onto an Windows 8.1 tablet.

If you take a look into this HP document: During printer installation in Windows 8.1, a 'System cannot find file specified' Message Displays o..., I think it will allow you to install.

Let me know if this helps.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
Gunner71
Message 3 of 5 (136 Views)

Jerends,

I followed the instructions provided. However, the windows search did not turn up any files hpoins*.dat or hpwins*.dat.  The solution did not allow me to install the HP software on my windows 8.1 tablet.  Do you have any other suggestions.

Gunner71

Honor Student
Gunner71
Message 4 of 5 (132 Views)

Jerends,

I followed the instructions provided for my windows tablet that I undated from windows 8.0 to windows 8.1.  The search revealed one file named hpwins23.dat.  I renamed the file to hpwins23.old and ran the latest version of the installation software which I downloaded from the hp website.  The software never moved beyond "checking system." I was unable to complete the installation with the instructions provided.  Do you have any other suggestions. 

HP Support Agent
JERENDS
Message 5 of 5 (117 Views)

I have been trying to re-create your original error, with no success. Is the Checking System past the point the original error occurs?

I would like you to try installing the basic drive package for the printer, let me know if this installs.

Basic Driver Package.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation