Question
Officejet 8500 & Windows 7 - Printer setup fails to complete.
Replies (46)

Honor Student
the_integratror
Message 31 of 47 (4,781 Views)

Re: Officejet 8500 & Windows 7 - Printer setup fails to complete.

Removing the drivers allowed me to install the printer through the HP software.

Now if I can just get it to not think the pink is empty.

I've updated with the latest firmware.

Student
CoilFlow
Message 32 of 47 (4,428 Views)

dpblue2 had it right--don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier. I've taken the same approach

in work environments dozens of times.

dpblue2 wrote:

By "George" it worked:

After I got many times the infamous screen with the red X , I clicked Next and it closed.

I went in Control Panel, Printers and fax, Added a printer: Local printer, UNCHECK Auto plug & Play;

Next : Create New port, Standard TCP/IP port, Insert IP address ( like: 192.168.1.3 ) and a name like: HP-4500.

Choose your printer type ( like: HP ) and choose the printer - you should have it as the driver IS installed.

... and you should make a successful test on your printer !

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR IDEAS!

My method was slightly differently, but similar in aproach:

Once the HP install uitlity has been run (and failed to complete), add the printer using the Windows 7 (64-bit in my case) utility. The process from there was fairly intuitive.

**Note if you do not have it already, the OfficeJet IP address can be found on the printer menu

or by printing the Wireless Network Test Report.

Download and run the HP driver package -->

Devices and Printers --> Add a Printer -->  Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer -->

The printer that I want isn't listed --> Add a printer using a TCP/IP --> Enter IP Address  --> 

(Windows wizard will detect port and model) --> Use the driver that is currently installed -->

Type a printer name --> Select Printer Sharing --> Success, Test Page (profit)!

With the variety of solutions posted that have worked differently for different users,

I'm curious if this solution will work for all.

Top Student
meem
Message 33 of 47 (4,247 Views)

I've never had so much trouble with a stupid print driver in my life.  I have had to reinstall all the HP software on multiple machines many time for various crazy cracked failures.  Now I'm stuck in this perpetual mode of getting the same screen everyone's complaining about, but when I get it, I have no driver to uninstall, and no matter what I try, including using the HP scrubbing level 4 utility, NOTHING helps.  This is either some crazy incompatibility between HP and MS Win7-64 or there HP has some crazy bugs.  I've even reset and even completely turned off my firewall to try to get this thing to install correctly.  The crazy thing is it worked fine up until about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and now no way, no how.  The only way I've been able to get to my printer is by installing the Windows 7 default driver for it, but then now my HP Solution Center doesn't recognize the printer.  I'm fed up.  This is the LAST HP printer I will own.  THE LAST!!

Tutor
BeanerECMO
Message 34 of 47 (4,244 Views)

FIRST, BACK UP THE REGISTRY FILE. If you're confident in your editing abilities to a very critical file, use regedit and delete everything that has HP, HewlettPackard, your printer model associated with anything HP - there are a whole bunch of entries - in the registry. Also, delete the file folders associated with only the HP printer of concern in the Program Files (x86). I'm not saying this will cure your printer installation ills, but it's a start. I can't get the Solution Center to install either even with direct connect. It was no problem installing it on my spouse's networked computer - don't understand that, but... Fortunately, I have Adobe Professional that allows me to do a lot of the things the Solution Center would be able to. It does seem that the HP tech bubbas really don't do a complete job of ensuring success.

Top Student
meem
Message 35 of 47 (4,242 Views)

Thanks for the suggestions.  To clarify a bit, I've been at this, off and on, for over 3 weeks now.  The scrubber utility is supposed to have done all that you suggested in terms of cleaning up the registry, removing driver files, and deleting directories.  I've run that thing ad nauseum.  I don't think it's something laying around in the registry or the filesystem.  I think it's more likely an incompatibility between a recent window 7 update and the HP software.  Also to clarify, I have a HP Officejet 6480, and the last update to the software was January 2010.  I've tried a LOT of things.  I've even tried the nice Window 7 install wizard HP provides.  That one's lovely.  It tells you it's downloading the software, after asking twice which printer to download software for, then it gets all the way to the end of the download after about 15 or 20 minutes, and tells you that "your download was cancelled" (by whom or why, no info)  then it provides a retry button which takes you on a nice circular ride of download cancelled, retry, download cancelled, retry, download cancelled, retry.  LOVELY!  Frankly, I just can put any more energy into trying other solutions like combing through the registry for an hour trying to find anything that the aforementioned scrubber was supposed to have deleted.  The software is too complicated to be tested well obviously, or HP is really negligent in keeping driver software for 2/3 year old printers up-to-date, which IMHO is bogus.  Seems HP wants people to buy new printers ever two years.  Really?  Don't they make enough money on the overpriced ink????

Tutor
BeanerECMO
Message 36 of 47 (4,238 Views)

Re: The scrubber utility is supposed to have done all that you suggested in terms of cleaning up the registry, removing driver files, and deleting directories. I thought the same thing; however, I still found a lot of entries that were not deleted.

Re: Don't they make enough money on the overpriced ink???? Apparently, not. :<)

Top Student
meem
Message 37 of 47 (4,237 Views)

Ok...reedit..boatloads of HP-related entries...how can anyone legitimately call that scrubbed??????
Top Student
meem
Message 38 of 47 (4,235 Views)

Directories too????  What is a scrubber if it doesn't remove directories, remove registry entries or remove driver files (which were definitely all over the registry).  Can someone at HP tell me what the heck was scrubbed????  I used LEVEL-4, multiple times. Unbelievable.  VERY MISLEADING HP!!!  Should maybe call it run-filty-rag-quickly-over-dishes-er, not scrubber. :smileyhappy:

Top Student
meem
Message 39 of 47 (4,233 Views)

Um....so...deleted the directories, even those under AppData, cleaned up the registry of all I could find related to HP, Hewlett-Packard, Officejet, and the generic model and specific model (6400 and 6480).  Then tried to rerun the installer....now it doesn't find my printer on the network, and in the background I get some crazy message saying "the specified service is not a registered service".  UGH!!

Intern
Andras_Fuchs
Message 40 of 47 (4,220 Views)

Hi,

I had the same problem on both my Vista (x64) and 7 (x64) computers.

I have manually configured IP address (192.168.1.90) on my printer (OfficeJet Pro 8500).

I partly installed the current drivers (OJP8500vA909_Full_14.exe), but had the same issue just like you:

the printer was detected but not installed. I got the same very useful error "Printer setup has failed to complete"...

Strangely I could open the printer's web info page at my IP (http://192.168.1.90), so the network config was good.

Here is what fixed the problem for me:

- open Computer

- click on Network

- your printer should be listed there

- double-click on it and click 'continue' if it asks you to do so

This will start a driver installation. When it is finished try to run the original installation program again or click on the icon which was put onto your desktop to finish printer installation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation