Question

Top Student
DrSweet
Message 1 of 4 (103 Views)

Officejet J6480 prints but can't find scan device on mixed wireless network

My Officejet J6480 all-in-one used to work on my network connected to my 32 bit Vista HP laptop along with my 64 bit Win 7 HP laptop.  It degraded last fall.  It still prints from both laptops and scans from the Vista laptop.  When I restart the Win 7, I get an error message "scanning device was not found..." The detailed error information = [(1,0,-2147221496)].

I downloaded the latest full install for the Win 7 version and uninstalled then installed the J6480... still got the error after restart.  I downloaded the Print/Scan Doctor but it gave a driver error: "This tool was unable to resolve the problem, even after a restart.  Go to HP Customer Care for help resolving this problem.  I found a driver to download to patch when upgrading a previoius install from Vista to Win 7 or Win 8.  I ran it and restarted.. still have the same problem recognizing the scanner.

The scanner & print still works on the Vista laptop.  HELP!

Retired
Cheetah12
Message 2 of 4 (82 Views)

Re: Officejet J6480 prints but can't find scan device on mixed wireless network

Hello DrSweet,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand when you scan a document, you're receiving a message "Scanning device was not found". I will do my best to assist you. Please follow this HP document on 'The Scanning Device Could Not Be Found' Displays When Scanning with a USB-Connected All-in-One.

Even though this document is indicating a different operating system, the steps will be the same. Please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Have a great night! :smileyhappy:

I worked on behalf of HP.
Top Student
DrSweet
Message 3 of 4 (52 Views)

[ Edited ]

I tried the suggested solution yesterday, but get the same results.  I can still print but get a "WIA error" when I run the Doctor diagnostic utility.  This is a wireless network with a Vista and a Win 7 laptop.  The Win 7 laptop is the problem child.  The Vista laptop prints and scans.

I installed the latest Officejet J6480 download for the 64bit Win 7.

Retired
Cheetah12
Message 4 of 4 (37 Views)

Thank you for this information.

I would recommend following this thread from @SuperMario1 on: describe extended error info 4,{(2,780040007),(3,7,0)} since you're receiving a "WIA Error".

Please post your results again.

I worked on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation