Question

Top Student
DrSweet
Message 1 of 4 (98 Views)

Officejet J6480 prints but can't find scan device on mixed wireless network

My Officejet J6480 all-in-one used to work on my network connected to my 32 bit Vista HP laptop along with my 64 bit Win 7 HP laptop.  It degraded last fall.  It still prints from both laptops and scans from the Vista laptop.  When I restart the Win 7, I get an error message "scanning device was not found..." The detailed error information = [(1,0,-2147221496)].

I downloaded the latest full install for the Win 7 version and uninstalled then installed the J6480... still got the error after restart.  I downloaded the Print/Scan Doctor but it gave a driver error: "This tool was unable to resolve the problem, even after a restart.  Go to HP Customer Care for help resolving this problem.  I found a driver to download to patch when upgrading a previoius install from Vista to Win 7 or Win 8.  I ran it and restarted.. still have the same problem recognizing the scanner.

The scanner & print still works on the Vista laptop.  HELP!

Distinguished Professor
Cheetah12
Message 2 of 4 (77 Views)

Re: Officejet J6480 prints but can't find scan device on mixed wireless network

Hello DrSweet,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand when you scan a document, you're receiving a message "Scanning device was not found". I will do my best to assist you. Please follow this HP document on 'The Scanning Device Could Not Be Found' Displays When Scanning with a USB-Connected All-in-One.

Even though this document is indicating a different operating system, the steps will be the same. Please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Have a great night! :smileyhappy:

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!

Cheetah12
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
DrSweet
Message 3 of 4 (47 Views)

[ Edited ]

I tried the suggested solution yesterday, but get the same results.  I can still print but get a "WIA error" when I run the Doctor diagnostic utility.  This is a wireless network with a Vista and a Win 7 laptop.  The Win 7 laptop is the problem child.  The Vista laptop prints and scans.

I installed the latest Officejet J6480 download for the 64bit Win 7.

Distinguished Professor
Cheetah12
Message 4 of 4 (32 Views)

Thank you for this information.

I would recommend following this thread from @SuperMario1 on: describe extended error info 4,{(2,780040007),(3,7,0)} since you're receiving a "WIA Error".

Please post your results again.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!

Cheetah12
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation