Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

This new driver has NOT fixed the problem.  I moved my printer home from my office, where it is quieter and the high pitched whine is even more obvious. The whine is coming from the area where the power cord plugs in. AND THE NOISE IS EVEN EVIDENT WHEN I TURN MY PRINTER OFF, NOT JUST IN SLEEP MODE. Seriously, this problem needs to be fixed. At this point, I am so frustrated, I don't think I'll ever by an HP Printer again in the future.

PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM!

HP Recommended

it worked for my 6830. make sure you are downloading the FIRMWARE and not the DRIVER.

HP Recommended

Just FYI, If you're using the latest FW and it doesn't fix it then call HP Support as you might need a replacement power supply

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

After 2 months of listening to the annoying high pitch noise and trying all the fixes including firmware upgrade, HP is sending me a new printer. I will let you know if this one performs better.

HP Recommended

Ordered a new power supply at support, got it today (Rev. D – the old one was Rev. C.) and installed it. Silence!

HP Recommended

FYI:  My 6830 makes the noise even when it is suspended (turned off).  If you really hate this noise, then put the printer on a switch and kill the power to it when not in use.  I am guessing HP will not be fond of this idea, but you gotta do what keeps you sane.  Hopefully, new firmware will be written that can silence the high pitch noise.

Thanks for your patience everyone.

-Frank (Ohio)

HP Recommended

Thanks for the update.  That is some great investigative work on your end.  Keep it up.

-Frank (Ohio)

HP Recommended

I am glad its not just me!

I am having the same exact issue with my HP OfficeJet Pro 8610!

Its unacceptable, I think HP failed with this design.

This noise only happens when the LCD screen goes off, I guess you can call it idle mose noise.

I am about to return my printer to Best Buy and go with a different brand!

HP Recommended

so I'm not going mad after all! :Surprise:

same here with an 8615, that was 6months old...

raised ticket with UK support, sent me a reconditioned and damaged 8610 which I refused. Demanded a brand new 8615, which arrived last week and this has the EXACT same high pitch two tone noise when its sleeping :indifferent:

Yes you can turn the printer off to prevent insanity, but the whole point that it can sleep is so its ready to go when you want to print or scan. Not having to physically go and turn the printer back on each time.

Like others, because i spend my days sat next to it, it drives you crackers!!!

sounds like the noise transformers make when they begin to fail/not supressed correctly

HP ARE YOU LISTENING?

(we havent got much choice with the blasted two tone warble in our ears)

HP Officejet Pro 8615

Firmware: FDP1CN1502AR

HP Recommended

interesting discovery regarding an HP7640, which also has this high pitch fault...

if you turn OFF the WiFI (yes I appreciate the logic of a wireless printer with no wifi :TongueOut: ) but it appears to stop the noise when the printer is in sleep....

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/HP7640-making-humming-sound-while-sleeping/m-p/5501350#...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.