Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My printer had an automatic firmware update about one week ago. The firmware version is now PNP1CN1517AR. Since then I noticed the noise.

HP Recommended

Thanks, Clara, for investigating this!

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and it only started after the recent firmware update a week or so ago.  The sound only happens when the printer goes into sleep mode.  Can we turn off sleep mode?  That would cure it for now..  Otherwise, I now have to manually turn the printer off.. or go insane... Please help us fix this.

HP Recommended

Exact same problem here--probably firmware update since it just started for me a few days ago, too. 

Printer is less than a month old.

HP Recommended

While we wait for a solution to this annoying problem, you can change the 'sleep' time from 5 minutes to 15 minutes by pressing ECO >Sleep Mode > Slide bar up from 5 mins to 15 mins. 

Then the screen will stay lit for 15 minutes of heavenly quiet.

You're welcome.

HP Recommended

Ugh, I'm having the same problem. The noise is awful. Pleeeeease find a fix for this!

HP Recommended

My HP Officejet Pro 6830 also started this high pitched whine 2 days ago (at least when I first noticed).  It's faint and at first I thought it was my neighbor making the noise as I live in a townhome.  I would like to get information about how to resolve it and wonder if I should just shut the thing off.  This is inconvenient as the printer isn't sitting right next to the laptop so if I need to print I would have to go and turn on the printer each time.  😞

HP Recommended

Greetings,

Same problem here...spent over an hour with HP on the phone and couldn't resolve the issue.

They are also sending me a new printer, which I am sure will also have the same issue, since my current one is only 3 weeks old and didn't have this issue initially.

I am sure it is firmware related, but I have no idea how to go back to old version....argh.

If anyone has a clue, could you please post it?

b.

HP Recommended

Well, a new printer only resolves the issue if it comes pre-installed with an old firmware version and if you disable automatic firmware updates.

I am absolutely sure it's a firmware and not a hardware issue. I could literally watch my printer update its firmware and then the noise started. Before the update, the printer was absolutely silent when in standby.

Dear HP support, is there any way to downgrade the firmware to a previous version?

HP Recommended

Greetings,

I do have the original install disc that came with the printer. If I were to unistall and then reinstall the printer would that take it back to the original firmware?

Even though HP is sending me another printer, I did get mine at Costco, so I guess if the new one has the updated firmware I could ust return the first one back to Costco and try all over again.

Seems like a lot of effort for a faulty update from HP though....any idea how long it takes HP to notice these comments and get back with a reply?

b.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.