Officejet Pro 8000 Printer (A809a) Firmware Upgrade Applicable? (8370 Views)
Student
falko
Message 1 of 8 (8,370 Views)

Officejet Pro 8000 Printer (A809a) Firmware Upgrade Applicable?

The download page for my Officejet Pro 8000 (A809a) printer located at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-85040-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...= indicates there is a firmware upgrade available for the HP 8000 Printer Series with firmware version 0842BR only.

From a printer self test diagnostic page, the firmware version of my Officejet Pro 8000 (A809a) printer is BZM1FN0842BR. My question is this: for the purposes of this firmware upgrade, is "0842BR" the same as "BZM1FN0842BR," as the trailing digits are identical? Or do the preceding "BZM1FN" digits in the firmware version of my printer mean the firmware upgrade is not applicable to this printer?

I had submitted this question online through the support links a couple of weeks ago but never received an answer! What do the HP Experts monitoring the boards today have to say on this?

Teacher
RandomRabbit
Message 2 of 8 (8,359 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8000 Printer (A809a) Firmware Upgrade Applicable?

The short answer is yes.

From the description of the driver download in your link, it will upgrade your printer to

BZM1FN1006BR

As you can see, the leading digits in the new firmware version 1006BR are identical to your current firmware version. Please make sure to follow the directions at this link.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Student
willpantin
Message 3 of 8 (8,306 Views)

I have firmware BZM1FN0842AR

Instructions say to upgrade to BZM1FN1006BR if ending in 0842BR only...

Since my firmware ends in AR instead of BR, I guess no firmware upgrade is available for my printer...?

Regards,

William

Teacher
RandomRabbit
Message 4 of 8 (8,253 Views)

I don't see any reason why the upgrade would not work for the BZM1FN0842AR if this is on the A809a product. It should just replace the current firmware version and place the new version into your printer.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Student
shelded
Message 5 of 8 (6,933 Views)

As an owner of the A809a with an investment to lose, I can see "any reason why they upgrade would not work." It may be the wrong firmware for the A809a, and if I apply it and the load kills my printer, there is no rollback feature provided to get to the old firmware (or any other version but this). I would like something more authoritative or informational about what the BR vs AR suffix means before taking the risk of ruining the printer.

My printer makes counter errors, consumption errors, errors on errors, and date errors. IOW, prints like a champ but is terrible at record-keeping. Those are good reasons why the BZM1FN0842AR firmware should be updated, but the listed fixes in BZM1FN1006BR do not address my concerns. Can we determine what HP did between 0842 and 1006?

This experience has made me reconsider buying HP products. Nowadays every manufacturer puts out regular firmware fixes, I reported/requested a firmware update when this was a new product, and over two years later I still have nothing.

Product Name HP Officejet Pro 8000 A809
Product Model Number CB092A
Firmware Version BZM1FN0842AR

Tutor
MeuhusTwo
Message 6 of 8 (4,948 Views)

The model number HP Officejet Pro 8000.

Method 1:
You may refer to the below links and use the troubleshooters. Check if it lists and helps resolve any issues: Open the Printer troubleshooter:
Method 2:
You may check if you have the latest drivers installed for the device. You may refer to the below link for getting the latest drivers and check –
Good Luck.. 
Top Student
Preinie
Message 7 of 8 (3,616 Views)

[ Edited ]

I don't understand "leading digits in the new firmware version 1006BR" did you mean trailing digits "1006BR" are the same? The leading digits are "BZMFN".

Is there a list of the firmware versions and dates and what each one fixes?

I have a printer with version BZM1FN1006BR and from one application it won't print. To print, instead of File>Print I have to File>Print Preview and select my default printer then Print / OK. If File>Print is used the printer "printing/queue" icon shows for a second and then goes away. The printer goes "click", but nothing prints. All apps except this one print File>Print OK. The app uses VB6 to print. If the print queue window is open the job shows for a second then goes away.

All other XP Pro laptops with HP8000s File>Print OK. The printer firmware is BZM1FN0842BR. All XP Pro  laptops are USB wired to the printer using basic print drivers.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 8 of 8 (3,576 Views)

Officejet Pro 8000 Printer (A809a) Firmware Upgrade Applicable?

Hello Preinie

I am not sure if such a list exists with different firmware versions and what each fixes. You are on the most current firmware for the Officejet 8000 A809a.

Based on your explanation I don't think a firmware upgrade will fix the problem. It sounds like a problem with the one particular program. What application are you trying to print from? You mention all other XP laptops are able to print, what about printing from the problematic application on those laptops? Are you using Windows XP on your the computer you have the problem with?
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation