Question

Honor Student
copotica
Message 1 of 8 (860 Views)

Officejet Pro 8600 N911g new firmware will not install.

My printer: Officejet Pro 8600 N911g

Current Firmware: CLP1CN1416AR

My problem: Downloaded the latest firmware update (Version CLP1CN1322CR). When I go to install it, my printer shows as listed, but in the STATUS cloumn, it is listed as "Not applicable".

I turned my printer on/off.

I tried updating via network, and when it checks for an update, it states there are no updates avaiable.

I tried updating via USB.

I tried updating via the LCD panel on the printer, and when it checks for an update, it states there are no updates avaiable.

Is there something wrong as to why this current firmware will not install?

Thanks for any help.

HP Support Agent
Rainbow7000
Message 2 of 8 (788 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8600 N911g new firmware will not install.

Welcome to the forums copotica:smileyhappy:

I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages this post, has instructions.

If you do wish to reply to the private message, please do so here in the public thread.

I hope that helps!

Have a great Wednesday:smileyhappy:

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

R a i n b o w 7000
I work on behalf of HP

Honor Student
copotica
Message 3 of 8 (780 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I did as you instructed, and performed a semi-full reset.

Printer powered down, then went through the whole calibration setup. However, this did not resolve my issue. After it finished calibrating, I tried to run the new firmware, and just as before, my printer model appears in the firmaware installtion window, though "not applicable"  is shown under the Status column.

Any other suggestions?

HP Support Agent
Rainbow7000
Message 4 of 8 (772 Views)

Hi again copotica,

I was reading through our messages again and noticed that your firmware version is actually a higher number than the firmware version that is posted on the hp.com website. You may actually have the newest and most up to date version after all.

Having said that, is there a reason why you are looking to do the update? Are you unable to print, scan, copy, etc? If there is an actual issue with the printer, please let me know and I will do my best to help you with the concerns you may have!

Cheers:smileylol:

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

R a i n b o w 7000
I work on behalf of HP

Honor Student
copotica
Message 5 of 8 (764 Views)

[ Edited ]

Maybe that's where I'm getting confused.

The support page for the firmware download lists CLP1CN1322CR as the  latest firmware version.

Is that a typo? Should the latest firmware be listed  as CLP1CN1416AR?

Or did they simply not post the latest CLP1CN1416AR firmware verion yet? However, they did change the release date to 2014-07-18, the last release date listed was august of 2013.

Now that I think about it, it appears my printer auto-updated to firmware CLP1CN1416AR, and HP has'nt got around to posting the latest version or they put back the old firmware because there might be problems with the latest firmware.

Link to page I'm referring: Firmware Link

Honor Student
Pegasolabs
Message 6 of 8 (684 Views)

Same issue here.

But also in the embedded web interface somethhing is wrong with CLP1CN1416AR

In the embedded web server I get "Connection error" under the Tools Menu. Nothing is accessible.

Any solution?

1.GIF

2.GIF

Honor Student
DTHT
Message 7 of 8 (614 Views)

New Firmware (CLP1CN1416R) was installed automatically (Printer was set for "Auto Update").  Prior to new firmware install,  printer has performed flawlessly...no problems.  Immediately after printer updated it's firmware automatically I began to have multiple problems. 

First, it kept asking me to perform an "Alignment" which I dutifully performed only to have message come back that 'Alignment Failed".  Printed sheet looked fine, and printer printed fine but now before any page will print the "Alignment Recommended" message comes up which I have to then override (Click 'Do Not Align' button at bottome of 'Alignment Recommended' message box.  This is getting really OLD!!  Simply unacceptable for a business class printer!! 

Also, the printer randomly has started giving other messages such as "There is a problem with the printer or ink system" AND "Cartridges are Missing" ("when I've just recently put in new catridges and levels are OK!!) AND "Paper Jam" (when there is no jam!!) 

None of these problems have occurred prior to the automatic firmware update.  I believe the reason HP hasn't posted the new firmware update to their Customer Service website is that they know there are bugs in it and don't want to compound the problems the new version has already created.  I seriously question why an automatic updating of firmware was done with equipment set to "Auto Update" and yet that same new firmware is not available to those who might have had their printers set for "Manual Update". 

HP Customer Service - You need to issue a statement from the company as to what has happened with this firmware update.  If there are problems, take responsibility for it and make it right.  HP knows who it sent out auto updates to.  These printer owners should be immediately notified and the situation made right.  It is not real assuring to have your front line staff not know why the new firmware is not on the website.  I do not like the idea of having to pay for a Support Call when the problems with my out of warranty printer are directly tied to the Auto Updating of said printer with apparently defective firmware.

I'd really appreciate a response back from someone in HP Customer Service.

Student
ISchw
Message 8 of 8 (377 Views)

I would also be interested in the solution, because I have exactly the same problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation