Re: Officejet Pro 8600 Plus - Software Limitations for Presets (664 Views)
Honor Student
Huis
Message 1 of 6 (718 Views)

Officejet Pro 8600 Plus - Software Limitations for Presets

I purchased an HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One Printer (N911g) to replace an HP Photosmart Premium (C410B).
Prior to this I had the previous version of the Photosmart Premium - C309A.

With the c309A and C410B, I enjoyed the options available for setting printing and scanning presets. I run a SOHO (Small Office/Home Office) business, so have repetitive document creation and archive needs.

Both devices were temperamental and developed siginficant and very time-costly hardware faults. When it came time to replace the C410B, I shopped around for other manufacturers - none, though, were able to offer software for their devices that enabled sufficient customisation of presets.

Quite a few enable printing presets, but not scanning ones, so I looked at HP again. The 8600 Plus is offered with a 3-year warranty, so I figured it was worth a shot from the hhardware perspective. I took the printing presets for granted and really only checked the scanning preseets, ny downloading the manuals. All seemed good, so I ordered it.

I am running Windows 8 Pro (x64) on both PCs in the office. Having set up the device, I find the hardware a significant step up from the C410B. The software is, however, disappointing. It seems much more stable when connecting to my PCs, but is feature-poor.

Printing Presets

Bluntly, there aren't any - at least, not if you are of the vast majotiy running Windows. Bizarrely, this is enabled for Macs (you lucky devils). Both my previous HPs had excellent options for this, as does the Officejet Pro 276dw. Unfortunately, the 276dw is a lot more expensive, yet only carries a 1-year warranty (a 3-year warranty extension adds £70 to the price). One would hope devices aimed at office users would carry a more robust warranty as standard.

Scanning Presets

At first glance, there seems to be a rich variety of options, yet they are oddly crippled. In the HP Printer Assistant:

1. Scan to Document or Photo setting - you can create custom presets, but only from the PC, not from the 8600 Plus

2. Scan to Network Folder Wizard - this is a great feature, but you can't enable batch scanning. You have to stand there and feed documents one at a time.

What I can't understand is why HP chose not to enable these options - they have the capability and the software. By not doing so, they devalue this machine as an office MFP.

What I would like to know is if HP plans to address these issues or if there are workarounds to enable the missing functionality.

P.S. Today, the 3rd day of owning the machine, it is showing as unavailable (greyed out) in Windows Devices and Printers - yet seems to function normally when I test it.

Master's Graduate
RocketLife
Message 2 of 6 (700 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8600 Plus - Software Limitations for Presets

Hi Huis.

What type of printing presets do you need? If you want to print photos in various layouts, HP Photo Creations may be able to help. It's a free download at www.hp.com/go/hppc.

RocketLife

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
RocketLife, developer of HP Photo Creations
» Visit the HP Photo Creations Facebook page — news, tips, and inspiration
» See the HP Photo Creations video tours — cool tips in under 2 minutes
» Contact Customer Support — get answers from the experts
Honor Student
Huis
Message 3 of 6 (691 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, RocketLife

Thanks for replying, and for the suggestion, but that wasn't what I was looking for.
I regularly print off several documents for work - some duplex, some single-sided, some colour, some B&W.
Also, envelopes in DL and C5 sizes, both colour and B&W. Thirdly, index cards, both 3x5 and 4x6.

With my two previous printers, the software allowed for setting these as presets - open document, select "Print", select "Printer Properties, select "preset.
This can be done with this printer if you have a Mac, but not if you have Windows. Nothing against Macs, but the majority of users will be using Windows - and HP has had the capability in their software for years.

It seems an odd omission, one that limits an otherwise very good device. For business use, a user will perform repetitive tasks - having a means to set this up makes it less of a chore.

Master's Graduate
RocketLife
Message 4 of 6 (686 Views)

Ah. Sorry I couldn't help. You might try contacting HP customer service directly.

Please post again if you find an answer. It's an interesting question.

RocketLife

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
RocketLife, developer of HP Photo Creations
» Visit the HP Photo Creations Facebook page — news, tips, and inspiration
» See the HP Photo Creations video tours — cool tips in under 2 minutes
» Contact Customer Support — get answers from the experts
Honor Student
Huis
Message 5 of 6 (683 Views)

No worries, thanks for giving it a crack.

I believe that HP are having a bunch of experts visit the forum tomorrow to help answer questions and issues.
I'll hold off calling HP Support for now, to see if any of them can address this.
I hope that they will think the issue worth addressing but, as HP hasn't updated the software since Dec 2012, I doubt they will offer a solution.

With this particular model (and a few others), they offer a 30-day try-out period, which is a great feature and a brave offer. I took it as a sign of confidence on their part. Again, it leaves me baffled - why offer this while artificially limiting the device through software for the majority (Windows) of users?
Honor Student
Huis
Message 6 of 6 (664 Views)

Bumpity, bump, bump...

Don't mean to be rude - just hoping to catch the eye of the experts visiting the forum shortly.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation