Question

Top Student
artrum
Message 1 of 4 (460 Views)
Accepted Solution

Officejet Pro 8600 e. Problem scanning from Scan and Capture App in Win 8.1

[ Edited ]

Officejet Pro 8600 e.  New.

Installed on HP Envy 23 Touch. Running Windows 8.1.  

Wireless set up. Prints fine.  Problem is scanning from the HP Scan and Capture Software App in Win 8.1  

Using Scan and Capture App I can scan photos fine.  They come out clear.  Scanning documents in GRAY has multiple bands/lines in gray over the entire page running vertically.  Scanning documents in COLOR are fine.

Also, if I scan from the printer directly using the touch screen on the printer, the scan output is fine.

I did the Scan utilty to discover any errors and it did not show any.  I think it's a software error.  I am going to uninstall the HP Scan App and then reinstall.  So, I will do the uninstall/reinstall and report back.

Also, I would like to know if there is a desktop program for scanning?  I would prefer to use that instead of the Modern HP Scan and Capture App.

Thanks....

Top Student
artrum
Message 2 of 4 (455 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8600 e. Problem scanning from Scan and Capture App in Win 8.1

Update. Uninstalled Scan and Capture and reinstalled from Windows App Store. Problem still persists.

Also, determined that problem is only occurring with GRAY setting selected in both Photo and Document scans. Color is fine on both.

Again, scanning directly from the printer touch screen does not have this problem.
HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 3 of 4 (427 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi artrum,

I understand you've been experiencing issues scanning from your Officejet 8600 using the Windows Scan and Capture program. I will certainly do my best to help you with this!

From what you've explained, I believe you're correct, it does seem like it's an issue just with the Windows Scan and Capture program and as you've been able to scan from the front panel of the printer you definitely have the HP software installed. What I'd like to do is have you use the HP Scan software, where you should no longer run into issues.

To access the HP Scan software and be able to access it easily from your desktop I'd like you to follow the steps below:

1. Go to your start screen and just start typing File Explorer. You should be able to then open it to access your computer's files.

2. Then open Local Disk (C: ), followed by Program Files (x86), followed by HP, then HP Officejet Pro 8600, followed finally by bin.

3. In the bin folder you should see HPScan. You will want to right click on HPScan and go to Send To and then select Desktop.

Now you should see HP Scan on your desktop and be able to open it and scan through that application.

Hope this helps, have a great day!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster :smileyhappy:
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
artrum
Message 4 of 4 (426 Views)

It worked.  Thank you.  

I prefer to use the desk top when scanning.  However, it may be convenient to use the Modern UI and Win8 program.  Hopefully, the next release of it is an improvement.

AR

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation