Question

Top Student
danielowitsch
Message 1 of 17 (6,998 Views)

Officejet g55 with Windows Vista

[ Edited ]

The driver page says that there is no driver for the g55 under Vista - just a basic access through the built in driver that comes with Vista. This limits the functions of te printer, i.e. the keys for scanning etc. on te printer won't work. Any ideas what one can do to get it al working nicely?

Dan

Message Edited by danielowitsch on 02-21-2009 12:40 PM
Top Student
diechinbw
Message 2 of 17 (6,397 Views)

Re: Officejet g55 with Windows Vista

At least you got your printer to print? I've tried installing two basic drivers and still can't print on the G55. What basic driver did you install? Txs!
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 17 (6,269 Views)

diechinbw wrote:
At least you got your printer to print? I've tried installing two basic drivers and still can't print on the G55. What basic driver did you install? Txs!

The Deskjet 970 driver in Vista should work with the G55. 

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
diechinbw
Message 4 of 17 (6,256 Views)

Hi Bob:

There were two different drivers listed in Vista:  970Cse and 970Cxi. I tired both of them, but didn't get any response from the printer. Thanks for your trying to help me.

Carole

Top Student
danielowitsch
Message 5 of 17 (6,247 Views)

sorry for not replying earlier. I'm at work at the moment - will have a look at home what drivver it uses - I didn't chosse anything it just installed the driver automatically when I plugged the printer in. Are you connecting the printer via USB?

I would like a driver that enables all the buttons on the printer for scanning to the computer etc - this is the stuff the current driver doesn't let me do.

Daniel

Top Student
diechinbw
Message 6 of 17 (6,242 Views)

Yes, I'm using a USB adapter so I can connect to a new notebook computer. I've already exhausted troubleshooting with HP, and their final remark to me was that I need to buy a new printer. I don't even get a test print from the drivers I've tried (500c, 970Cse, 970Cxi, 990c).

I'm angry with HP about not supplying an updated driver for the G55. Palm is just as bad; can't use my Palm with Vista either. Now, why would I want to buy another HP printer from a company that doesn't support their equipment. Shame on them.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 7 of 17 (6,302 Views)

diechinbw wrote:

Yes, I'm using a USB adapter so I can connect to a new notebook computer. I've already exhausted troubleshooting with HP, and their final remark to me was that I need to buy a new printer. I don't even get a test print from the drivers I've tried (500c, 970Cse, 970Cxi, 990c).

I'm angry with HP about not supplying an updated driver for the G55. Palm is just as bad; can't use my Palm with Vista either. Now, why would I want to buy another HP printer from a company that doesn't support their equipment. Shame on them.

Likely the issue here is the USB adapter, I have seen many reports of issues with the USB to parallel adapter in VIsta and cannot recall a single case of success.  Any of the drivers (except the 990c) should work fine if you had a working connection.

The G55 supports a direct USB connection, that would be a much bettersolution.  Remove the parallel connection from the G55, cycle the power for the G55, then connect a USB cable to the notebook and the G55.  (The USB port is next to the parallel port, perhaps hidden a bit by the plastic tab.  At this point Vista should automatically detect the G55 and install the proper driver.  You will probably want to remove the extra DJ 500, 970 and 990 printer instances from the printers folder.

As for HP, they did supply a driver to Microsoft to be included with the Vista distribution even though the printer was sold a decade before Vista was introduced...

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Top Student
danielowitsch
Message 8 of 17 (6,295 Views)

[ Edited ]

that's what the driver details look like on my machine?

device-manager:

[screenshot deleted]

HP OfficeJet G55 (USB) driver details:

[screenshot deleted]

IEEE 1284.4 compatible device driver details:

[screenshot deleted]

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 9 of 17 (6,274 Views)

OK, I would suggest the following:  disconnect the usb to parallel adapter from the G55 and the printer.  Power cycle the G55.  Go to the device manager and remove both entries for the 1284.4 devices, both the G55(USB) device and the 1282.4 compatible device. Go to the printers folder and remove the variopus Deskjet and G55 printers.  Next connect the G55 directly to the computer using a standard USB A-B cable (not the USB to parallel adapter).  At this point Vista should automatically install the plug-and-play driver for the G55.  

Regards,

Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Top Student
danielowitsch
Message 10 of 17 (6,268 Views)

Bob,

I posted my configuration to help diechinbw figure what 's wrong. The configuration above is working just fine. What makes you think diechinbw runs the printer through a parallel adapter. I can't see any mentioning of an adapter?

diechinbw,

can you confirm the use of any adaptor or do use USB ports on both the printer and computer?

Daniel

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation