Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello.

I was trying to update the firmware for HP P1102w, and it seemed to be failed. After waiting for a long time, it ended up with the error message, "restart the power cycle and try again" or something like that.

After that, it did not appear in my network, and I lost the web interface and print capability. My rounter does not show its presence. The printer has solid purple lights on WiFi and triangle light.

I tried to way to do factory reset, but I could not find it.

I understand that firmware failed is critical. Does anybody know how to fix it?

Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi ttanemori,

Please connect the printer to your computer via USB cable, and then re-run the firmware update.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi ttanemori,

Please connect the printer to your computer via USB cable, and then re-run the firmware update.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your reply. That solved my firware update issue. However, I had to unistall software and driver to make it work same as before. I realied that I began to see an error message whenever I log in Windows. It says "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a dis into drive \Device\Harddisk1\DR1. The original installation disk is in the drive. Try again or Continue makes the pop up message closed, but it appears again when I reboot the machine and login to Windows.

Is there any way to get rid of this error message?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi ttanemori,

Have you tried powering the computer off completely and then restarting it?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I did all you suggested. Finally, I edited regsitry, and I do not see the error any more. Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi ttanemori,

Great glad to hear it has been resolved.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

This firmware upgrade caused me no end of aggravation. Sure would have been nice for HP to have informed wireless users in the email alert and/or on website download site that the P1102w printer needs a physical connection to the computer to perform this firmware upgrade. Took me 2 hours to unravel the mess and get things going again.

Disappointedly yours,

Scotty

HP Recommended

I am trying to use my Laserjet P1102w winth my new HP Pro (Windows 7 - 32 bits), but keep have problems with printer recognition every time I turn the system on.

Besides the expected "HP Laserjet Professional P1102w" icon on printers window, I repeatedly have a "HP LaserJet 1100 Series" icon with a problem mark (!).

Printing became a nightmare, with failures been usual.

I tryed  to update firmware, but the process is not finished, while I receive a "P1102w firmware update failed" message.

I re3installed printer software several times, but can't have a regular good function.

Would you please help me?

HP Recommended

Hi MarcoMauraq, 

Follow the steps below, and if you continue to have troubles try installing the printer on a different computer. Let me know what you find out?

Install the software with HP Smart Install
Follow these steps to install the software using the HP Smart Install.
NOTE:The installer might ask if you want to check online for the latest installation updates for your printer. For the best installation results, HP recommends that you click Yes to let the installer check for updates and download them for you.
  1. Press the Power button ( ) or switch to turn off the printer, if it is not already off.
  2. Disconnect the USB cable from both the printer and the computer, if you already connected it.
  3. Press the Power button or switch to turn on the printer.
  4. Reconnect the USB cable to the printer and to the computer.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the HP Smart Install software.
    If the HP Smart Install program does not start automatically, AutoPlay might be disabled on the computer. Follow these steps to start the installation:
    Click the Windows icon ( ), click My Computer , and then double-click the HP Smart Install CD icon.
  6. When the program prompts you to select a connection type, select the USB cable option.
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish installing the software.
I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I just noticed something, after trying the latest firmware update over WiFi for about 30 minutes, repeatedly failing:  Make sure there are no browser windows open connected to the printer.

It seems that every time the browser automatically refreshes, the update fails.

I don't know if this is coincidence, but closing all my browsers and retrying the update worked "all of a sudden" 🙂

Kind regards,

Andi

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.