PHOTOSMART D5160 SOFTWARE ON WINDOWS 7 (5226 Views)
Honor Student
andrewiltn
Message 1 of 7 (5,226 Views)

PHOTOSMART D5160 SOFTWARE ON WINDOWS 7

I hope someone can help me.

I have a Photosmart D5160 which can print direct to DVD/CD.

I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit from Windows XP.  This meant me doing a clean install and reinstalling all programs.

I tried to install the HP software that came with the printer but it would not install on Win 7 so I had to go to the HP site and download the driver and software to run on Windows 7.  When I installed I found that the program that was included on the original discs which allowed for editing photographs and printing onto DVD/CDs was not included which means that I can now not print onto DVDs.

Can anybody tell me where I might find this program so that I can download it to run on WIndows 7.

Many thanks.

Teacher
Fresh_Prints
Message 2 of 7 (5,212 Views)

Re: PHOTOSMART D5160 SOFTWARE ON WINDOWS 7

If you download the full solution driver from HP it should include Photosmart Essentials. After you open Photosmart Essentials click on the "Get Creative" icon. This should give you the option to print on CD/DVD.

Please note I have a new account Print_Hint
(this one is no longer active)

Although I am an HP Support Engineer, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Student
barrybrower
Message 3 of 7 (5,205 Views)

I am having the same problem with Windows 7 on the D5160 (though I have 64-bit version): Cannot print to CD/DVD.  Where is the "get creative" icon?  I do not see this.  There is a "create" icon, but it does not having anything about printing to CD/DVD.  It shows "DVD slideshow" which is not what I want, but in any event that option is a download which is "no longer available."

Also, how come we are reduced to Photosmart Essentials?  I had full version software when I had XP. 

As an aside, I contacted HP Tech support today and was basically told I have an "out-of-warranty issue" and they would not deal with it!  No more HP printers for me!

Honor Student
andrewiltn
Message 4 of 7 (4,987 Views)

Sorry long time to reply but I've been out of the country with no internet access.

Same as Barrybrower, I contacted HP Tech Support and was told I was out of warranty so no support.

I have also checked the essentials "create" icon and no link to CD/DVD.

I also had the full software that allowed me to edit images and then print or put them on CD/DVD while on XP.

I think HP should be honest and tell us if there is no Win7 software available to handle CD/DVD.

Student
sddk1
Message 5 of 7 (4,843 Views)

I noticed Photosmart Premier which was used to do CD/DVD printing is no longer supported for Windows 7.  THere is a rumor that Essentials will be updated to provide CD/DVD printing but I wouldn't count on it.  These are not the days of freebies... especially for a product that is more than a couple years old. 

I am bummed because my Dad loves the CD/DVD printing and that's about 90% of the printing he does.  I've tried all sorts of avenues to find a way to get the D5160 to work but I think the only option is to either downgrade to Windows XP or...  I noticed that there is a "XP mode" offered on XP Premium Home 64-bit versions.  I wonder if I'm able to run Premier and the D5160 through this "XP mode".  I'll try it in a couple weeks and return to post my results. 

Top Student
ktsouthgate
Message 6 of 7 (3,489 Views)

Hi, I had the same problem and after extensive web surfing and hair pulling i found the following software and it works perfectly.

CD&DVD Label Maker 1.2

Cheers

Keith

Top Student
ktsouthgate
Message 7 of 7 (3,475 Views)

Hi, I had the same problem and after extensive web surfing and hair pulling i found the following software and it works perfectly.

Software: CD&DVD Label Maker 1.2

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation