Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have a HP psc2355 printer which was working happliy in Window 8. I downloaded and installed 8.1 from windows store and the printer no longer works!

With  the printer status window open (via the windows control panel) the document detail appear briefly after clicking on the print button. Nothing happens at the printer end. Theres nothing wrong with the printer as I can use it on another PC without problems.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the printer using hppiw 2012-10-31 and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor V 4.1.0.29 which gives a device error "your printer is in a busy state" after any attempt is made to print  from applications or from printer/properties print test page.

printer self test prints OK.

scanner works OK

Printer is connected via USB cable rirectly to PC USB port

windows update ran this morning

3 hours wasted so far!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
****SOLVED*** Printer Properties Advanced Tab Print Processor Change settings from Print Processor hpzpplhn to winprint check Default data type is at RAW Printing OK now HP got any support jobs going?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi P0RSCH3,

I am sorry to hear you have spent so much time on this with no solution yet. I would like to help you print. It sounds to me like you have had a great start in the troubleshooting process. Lets Restart the Print Spooler and then try to print again.

The video will guide you through the following steps.

1. Right-click the Start button (  ) in the lower left corner of the screen, click Search, and then type  Services  .
  2. Click View local services.
  3. Right-click Print Spooler.
  4. Click top to stop the Print Spooler.
  5. Right-click Print Spooler  .
  6. Click Start to restart the Print Spooler.
  7. Restart the computer.
  8. Try the print job again.
If this does not resolve the issue, use the following link and complete all of the recommended steps in order starting with solution two. Solution one advises you to run the Print and Scan Doctor which you have already done. All other steps should be completed in order even if you had previously tried the step before.

Hope this helps.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi,

resterting the spooler service did not fix it, neither did restarting the PC, there does not appear to be any other link in your last post?

HP Recommended

Hi P0RSCH3,

Opps...  silly me!

Here is the link I suggest you follow.

Printer Will Not Print

When  you open the link you will need to follow the instructions under the Windows 8 section. The steps for Windows 8 are the same as for 8.1.

Hope this helps.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi, went through all that and it is still not fixed, also tried disabling all of the start up applications still no joy, I have tried sharing the printer in windows 8.1 and I can then print from the printer using a Vista Proffesional  laptop on the same network. The printer is directly connected by USB cable to the windows 8.1 PC that can't print.

HP Recommended
****SOLVED*** Printer Properties Advanced Tab Print Processor Change settings from Print Processor hpzpplhn to winprint check Default data type is at RAW Printing OK now HP got any support jobs going?
HP Recommended

If I was in charge of hiring, I'd say you got the job P0RSCH3 🙂

I am glad to hear you got it working and thank you for posting the solution so others can find it. If you ever require assistance in the future please remember we are here to help. Thanks for your patience and your time.

Happy printing!

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

The suggestion to change the print processor from hpzpplhn to winprint (which I take to be the Win 8.1 generic) is spot-on.

Can't see that any of the old hp processors or drivers are worth using, as the functional extras that came with them don't work anyhow (eg multiple scanning to pdfs). My psc 2355 stopped working completely when I upgraded from XP to 8.1 and my old psc 1215 started putting a blank page after page 1 of all print jobs. Now, with this suggestion, both work perfectly and I would suggest that everyone with any old HP psc printer does this (they all seem to use hpzpplhn as the print processor). I strongly suggest that HP get together with Microsoft and do a simple update/patch that swaps default print processor for HP printers. Or is this a plot by HP to sell new printers?

HP Recommended

This works for most people. I had to remove the driver for my particular printer completely, and install the "HP Universal Driver PCL6"  and change the printer processor to winprint.

HP Recommended

This thread has been locked, For more information on HPPIW please refer to the following support document:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02681060

The HP Printer Install Wizard is a support application from HP that assisted in downloading printer software. This support application is no longer supported by HP. The last update to this software was on September 22, 2015.

To download and install the latest version of software for your HP printer, please visit 123.hp.com, HP support website, or HP Support Assistant (in English).

I Work for HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.