Question

Top Student
JeffLV
Message 1 of 13 (3,323 Views)

Photoshop CS4 and Officejet 8500

I recently installed Windows 7 64-bit on a laptop, and I find that I cannot accurately print from Photoshop CS4 64-bit to the HP Officejet 8500.  I have googled the problem, and I have found others reporting the same result.  When I view the print in Page Setup everything appears to be fine, but when I go to print, the 8500 fax is selected.  Whether I change the printer selection from the fax to the 8500 series printer, my prints come out being a fraction of the size they are supposed to be.  The consensus from the comments I have seen is that this is an Adobe problem.  No other applications on my computer have this problem.  As you know, however, when there are problems between several software programs written by different individuals and firms, the resolution of a problem can become a problem in itself.

Reports yesterday indicate that by deleting the fax "printer" the problem people are having with CS4 is resolved.  This, however, does not appear to be a good, final solution.

Is HP aware of this printing problem, and what, if any, steps are being taken to resolve the problem?

Teacher
Fresh_Prints
Message 2 of 13 (3,357 Views)

Re: Photoshop CS4 and Officejet 8500

Hi JeffLV,

If you did an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 rather than a fresh install of Windows 7 Adobe recommends uninstalling and reinstalling CS4. Even if you didn't do an upgrade to your OS it still wouldn't hurt to uninstall and reinstall CS4.

HP and Adobe are both interested in issues pertaining to their products and Windows 7. Thank you for bringing this up on these forums.

Please note I have a new account Print_Hint
(this one is no longer active)

Although I am an HP Support Engineer, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Top Student
JeffLV
Message 3 of 13 (3,351 Views)

I upgraded from Windows XP and did a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro and all my software.
Top Student
JeffLV
Message 4 of 13 (3,334 Views)

I uninstalled Photoshop CS4 and reinstalled with no change.  Adobe Technical support believes it's not their problem and that it is a problem with the driver and/or Windows 7.  I reiterated that all of my other software, including Adobe Acrobat Pro, works fine with the HP Officejet 8500 so I don't know what to do next.  I can print to a Deskjet printer from CS4.
Honor Student
zjrt02
Message 5 of 13 (3,247 Views)

I also have this error with Photoshop CS4 printing to the Officeject 8500 EXCEPT I am on XP Pro SP3. Deleting the fax printer associated with this device allows correct printing but this is not an acceptable alternative.

I reinstalled the fax printer with a totally different name thinking maybe PS was getting confused with the similar names (identical until the last few characters) and now the print size is right but the printing is horrible on photo paper: dull, smudgy and again, unacceptable.

What's up?

Honor Student
cbranco
Message 6 of 13 (3,198 Views)

I am also having this same problem with Windows Vista 64 bits. See my post link below:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-printing-questions/Officejet-Pro-8500-and-Adobe-Photoshop-CS4-64-...

Details of the link:

I have a Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bits desktop computer. After installing the Officejet Pro 8500 multifunctional drivers all was working OK. Images were being printed nice and with the correct size using Windows print option. After installing Adobe CS4 suite, all images printed from windows or Photoshop have incorrect size (photoshop prints it smaller and windows prints it larger).

I've installed all photoshop patches and re-install Officejet 8500 drivers, but the problem persists.

I've also tried to make a clean installation of the whole computer from the beginning

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? What would be the windows/HP files that were changed by Photoshop?

Thank you.

Honor Student
MDrouin
Message 7 of 13 (2,788 Views)

I have the same problem with an Officejet 6500 Wireless... Photoshop sucks but Illustrator print fine. The only way I can print at the good size in Photoshop, it's when I select Microsoft XPS document writer as printer and print from there...

And yes, it was always the HP Officejet 6500 E709n fax selected by default by Photoshop! :manmad:

Is anybody can say if it's an HP issue or an Adobe issue ???

Thank's in advance.

Honor Student
zjrt02
Message 8 of 13 (2,774 Views)

I ultimately completely uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers (XP Pro SP3) and THEN renamed the fax printer to something totally different and am able to fully utilize the 8500 in all modes.

My problems popped up only when printing from Photoshop CS4. Even when picking the correct printer in the dialog box it seemed like PS selected the fax version. The names were identical except the fax printer had extra stuff at the end. I SUSPECT PS ran the printer list and found all the characters of the target printer and stopped there, ignoring the fact there were more characters in the fax printer name.

Honor Student
MDrouin
Message 9 of 13 (2,754 Views)

You're right, I think !

zjrt02 wrote:

I ultimately completely uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers (XP Pro SP3) and THEN renamed the fax printer to something totally different and am able to fully utilize the 8500 in all modes.

My problems popped up only when printing from Photoshop CS4. Even when picking the correct printer in the dialog box it seemed like PS selected the fax version. The names were identical except the fax printer had extra stuff at the end. I SUSPECT PS ran the printer list and found all the characters of the target printer and stopped there, ignoring the fact there were more characters in the fax printer name.

I've rename "HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series fax" to "HP Officejet fax" and, TADAAAAM !!!, all works well.

I dont know if this is the best solution, then if another member find a better one, please come here to post it.

Good day to all and excuse my poor english, it's not my mother toungue, I'm a French Canadian from Province of Québec 

Student
isaexekutive
Message 10 of 13 (2,560 Views)

oh, thanks so much.... *hug*, *hug*,*hug*,*hug*,*hug*,*hug*,*hug*,*hug*,*hug*,*hug*,*hug*,*hug*,*hug*,*hug*,*hug*,

you solved my big problem, so I can deliver my work on friday:-)))).

thanks for helping me so much!!!

greetings

Isa

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation