Question

Honor Student
Stephen986
Message 1 of 26 (22,685 Views)

Photosmart 8250 won't print in black if a color ink cartridge is empty.

Is there any way to get Photosmart 8250 to print black-only text, when color cartridge(s) empty?  The printer's internal software refuses.  Any way to bypass that?  (We don't print pictures any more; just text documients.)
Top Student
Angryconsumer
Message 2 of 26 (22,610 Views)

Re: Photosmart 8250 won't print in black if a color ink cartridge is empty.

This is why I will never buy another HP product! The option to print using only the black cartridge, doesn't work if any of the color cartridges are low or empty. The original post has received nearly 100 hits in 2 weeks. Is HP listening? Ocassionally I can get it to print by lifting the cover for a few seconds and then pressing the OK button. But I found this doesn't work if a color cartridge is missing or empty.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 26 (22,583 Views)

No.  The printheads in the Photosmart 8250 are permanent and cannot be replaced by the end user.  Running the printer with one or more of the colors empty could cause damage to the printhead which would be expensive to fix.

HP's inkjet printers with the printheads built into the ink supplies (such as most Deskjet models) allow printing with one or more colors empty or in most cases even with one of the cartridges removed completely.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
yellowpez
Message 4 of 26 (21,789 Views)

I have the same issue continually... it is SO frustrating. It's not like I have to just run to the store and replace one of them. There are 5f color cartridges and they run out at different intervals.

And I don't care if it damages the printhead at this point to print with one of the cartridges empty. Once it breaks I'll be glad so I will be forced to find a better product and be done with this one!

Also - lifting up the cover for a few seconds does SOMETIMES work and lets the printer print even when one of the cartridges is low. It's worth trying.This is just the kind of issue that makes you want to throw your machine against the wall. HP, please discontinue this type of product...

Honor Student
8250ishorrible
Message 5 of 26 (21,316 Views)

I'm having the same problem, all I want to do is use the black cartridge that I purchased to print documents, I don't care that I have no color, b&w is fine but alas... impossible. Horrible product.  I am so frustrated by this I turned in my HP laptop at work and asked for  a dell, not that I like dell but at the moment I dislike HP that much.  

This weekend I plan on taking the printer out to a field and giving it the 'Office Space' treatment.  

Student
kelkel200900000
Message 6 of 26 (20,057 Views)

yeah this is retarded i have to print resumes ou i brough FIFTY BUCKS worth of a big black ink because the colors all cost alot individually and u cant buy them all together in a pack either so they run out at different times even easier and i can even print a simple black text because i dont have colors - its stupid! What kind of reliabilty is that for someone who intends on using it for business.. It should be mentioned before purchase that its not a full compatability printer really is it when it cant do a simple thing like print just black what a joke should of been designed not to damage the printheads then

Student
sparktest
Message 7 of 26 (18,790 Views)

I have the same problem with my L7650 All In One. I am FURIOUS! It's not just the money I spent, it's the huge hassle factor. It's late, I'm working, and I just want  to print an F***ing 18 page black and white doc so I can review and go to bed. This is a  fixable problem by HP with a driver fix you should be able to download.  As long as you leave the empties in to cover those referenced "permanently installed printer heads", they would not be exposed to air and dust.  My old printer was reliable but I could not get drivers for it to work with XP, HP didn't maintain them. Planned obsolesence?  I am SO tired of being forced to spend way too much hard earned money for "benefits and features" I really don't care about. As a result, I will NEVER buy another HP product again. I will not be held hostage to repeat buy expensive printer cartridges I don't want to use.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 26 (18,780 Views)

sparktest wrote:

I have the same problem with my L7650 All In One. [snip]  As long as you leave the empties in to cover those referenced "permanently installed printer heads", they would not be exposed to air and dust. 

The problem is not the interface between the in k supplies and the ink delivery system - if it were then leaving empty cartridges in place would help.  The problem is at the other end, where the color printhead nozzles are exposed to air while printing in black ink.  When it is time to put the printheads back in the "capping station" they need to be serviced, with a small amount of ink used to spit out the plugs that are forming while the printer is printing in other colors.  If there is no ink to use for this function then permanent damage to the printhead may occur.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
yellowpez
Message 9 of 26 (18,777 Views)

Fail
Student
rg811
Message 10 of 26 (18,216 Views)

Re: Photostat 8250 won't print in black if a color ink cartridge is empty.

I have a different model but the same problem.Another thing I find fascinating is that I am somehow able to use color ink even when setting the printer to use black ink only. I am aware that gray scale uses multi color inks.But I purposely set the printer to use BLACK INK ONLY( under  print "features") and yet somehow low and behold I just ran out of magenta??? This is the primary reason I will NOT now or at any future time purchase another HP product.As a company you are aware that your customers are unhappy and yet you seem quite content with the situation you have created. This in NOT mandatory because I have owned several other printers over the years and this is the only one that requires I invest nearly 100 dollars to print black and white documents.. I plan on replacing this printer with in the next few weeks.I also need a new scanner.And I can guarantee you the next product I purchase WILL NOT be an HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation