Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I love my new printer, but I was hoping for a better software package for CD/DVD printing than was supplied with the printer. 

I had been using my son's Canon until I bought the new printer.  I thought the Canon CD/DVD software was a little primative, but it is way more versatile than the standard HP software for CD printing.

I do a lot of CD printing and need more flexibility than the standard software offers.

Can anyone advise me if there are any available options for better software for CD/DVD printing?

Is HP working on any improvement? - they should be!

Can a third party software be used? How? Which one?

Please help me out.  I am sick of my son Paying me out for buying a HP. 

I have had HP's for many years, but I need better software.

PS.  The scanning software on this printer is awesome. Great for family photo scanning

Message Edited by TheBoyds on 23-07-2009 10:30 AM
68 REPLIES 68
HP Recommended
You can use Roxio Express CD/DVD Labeler and it will work with HP printers. You can download it in Roxio website and I don't think it's for free. Visit www.roxio.com
HP Recommended

No it doesn't.

I had live HP support trying for 2 hours to make it so. (service # 8029699105) It's obvious that the drivers do not accomodate either Roxio express or Roxio Creator 2009 Label Creator. This is a main reason that I bought this device and am very disappointed as to its driver shortcomings. Please remedy this and post a fix ASAP. This is an issue that I see others are experiencing. The HP DVD printing applet works fine but is primitive- the printer should work with one of the most used DVD printing applications.

HP Recommended
I have the same issue, I purchased this printer to replace a scanner and two other printers all workes fine but the CD label software through essentials 3.5 is the worse I have ever used. 
HP Recommended

The best labeling software for HP Photosmart C309a is Discus 4 from www.magicmouse.com

The Photosmart C309a is not listed in the printer list so pick the Photosmart D5280 and you will not need to make any alignment correction. 

When printing on CD/DVD’s remember to go into the Printer Setup and select CD/DVD, 120mm or 80mm for the small disc.

The Roxio sowftware will only work Epson printers

HP Recommended
I found that SureThing CD labeling software to be excellent.  Many backgrounds and extensive options for custom labeling.
HP Recommended

When I try to use the CD/DVD printing feature, any image I select displays on the Add Photos line with an exclamation point (!) in a triangle (I assume meaning alert or warning).  I can find nothing in the help to indicate what the problem is.  The image won't show in the preview and I can't print the label.  It doesn't seem to matter what type of photo I select, how it was created, or what type of label I'm trying to create.  Has anyone experienced this and better yet have you found a solution?

HP Recommended
Oh, man I know.  This HP software SUCKS. Microsoft Publisher has a CD template that works perfect with no page alterations needed. And it is very flexible. You just have to select the C309a properties before you print and choose to print on a CD.  If you use any type of publishing or graphic software you should be able to print to the CD. Just set the page size to 5.12 inch x 5.12 inch. Even MS Word works. Just not very flexible.
HP Recommended

Years ago, I had HP printers.  I swore to never own another HP printer again and went to Canon, which I enjoyed using without problem for many, many years.  Canon has now discontinued the ink for that old printer and even though the machine still works great, I started shopping for a new printer.  Sams had a Photosmart C309a CD/DVD for less than $200 so I went against my instinct and bought it because I also needed a CD printer.  Bad decision.

HP has never made a printer to my knowledge that was well built.  This new machine is just a month old and already it is chewing up paper and causing headaches...same as the old HP machines did.  The quality is just terrible and the software is nothing special either.  Junk.  Pure and simple.  Canon, here I come...again.

So once again, I swear I will never buy another HP printer.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  :Crying:

HP Recommended

I am satisfied with the C309a except for its ink consumption, but I suspect that will always be an issue as long as HP (and others) use the ink as the profit generator.  The software supplied (PhotoSmart Studio) and the associated plugin for direct CD/DVD printing leaves much to be desired (I am being charitable here).

The template does not automatically size and center the graphic, and there are no registration lines to assist you in that endeavor.  You cannot shrink the inner printing limit for 'print to hub' requirements.  Basically, the Create plugin is useless for direct CD/DCD printing.  And, of course, there is a dearth of information in the Help file.  BTW, I did download the manual (c01659847.pdf) and it offered the following:

Print on a CD/DVD
▲Do one of the following:
Print on a regular size CD/DVD
a. Design label.
b. Load CD/DVD.

Remove CD/DVD holder from the storage area.
  Snap inkjet printable media onto CD/DVD holder with print side up

Lower CD/DVD tray

Push CD/DVD holder into CD/DVD tray until lines on holder line up to green lines on tray.

c. Print on CD/DVD.
  Press OK to start print job.
d. Return holder and close tray.
  Lower CD/DVD tray.

Push CD/DVD holder into CD/DVD tray until lines on holder line up to green lines on tray.

c. Print on CD/DVD. 

Press OK to start print job.
d. Return holder and close tray.

Of course, 90% of your activity is concerned with Item a, about which this 'manual' says absolutely nothing!

But, all is not lost--I found something called HP Photosmart Create.app inside the HP folder in my Applications folder (how it got there is beyond my ken). Upon executing same I found templates for both 120 and 80 mm CDs with two different hub sizes.  And, when adding an image, the image was sized and centered automatically.  The Text Boxes are not very flexible (no circular or spiral text) and the hub sizes may not match your CDs exactly, but at least the centering and sizing is taken care of.  This app has no relation to the Create plugin within Photosmart Studio. 

Still in search of something better, I tried Magic Mouse's offering.  Lots of doos and dads, but centering so as not to print on the CD holder was a nightmare.  Lastly, SureThing (Windows only, so here comes Boot Camp) is quite good (automatic sizing and centering) except it prints clear out to the edge of the CD, leaving wet ink on the uncoated rim.  If I can solve that problem, it's probably the package I'll buy.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.