Question
Photosmart C309a and 564XL ink cartridges
Replies (30)

Top Student
alexlist
Message 11 of 31 (1,979 Views)

Re: Photosmart C309a and 564XL ink cartridges

I moved from Switzerland to HK. In Switzerland, I was using 364XL cartridges with my C309a. Here, they sell 564XL and the printer complains that they're not compatible.

When I click on "order supplies" on the printer's homepage, I get instructed to have support reset the printer's location to Hong Kong ...

I mean, how complicated do HP want to make the user experience? It's a printer, not a DVD player with region codes...

Top Student
alexlist
Message 12 of 31 (1,978 Views)
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 13 of 31 (1,975 Views)

[ Edited ]

alexlist wrote:

I moved from Switzerland to HK. In Switzerland, I was using 364XL cartridges with my C309a. Here, they sell 564XL and the printer complains that they're not compatible.

When I click on "order supplies" on the printer's homepage, I get instructed to have support reset the printer's location to Hong Kong ...

I mean, how complicated do HP want to make the user experience? It's a printer, not a DVD player with region codes...

It is actually very similar to DVD region codes.

You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
alexlist
Message 14 of 31 (1,960 Views)

Thanks Bob for your quick reply.

I understand that for some weird marketing reasons I as a customer don't have to understand or accept (selling cartridges and printers at different prices in different regions and blocking out grey market imports) HP is making cartridges sold in one region incompatible with printers in another region.

I'm not the first one running into this problem:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t156381-change_region_code_ink_cartridges

I got in touch with HP Support in Hong Kong, and because my 2 year old printer is out of the 1 year warranty, they want to charge me 300 HKD for the "region reset", plus another 260 for picking the device up and returing it to me. I live on an island and don't have a car, so my motivation for carrying the entire printer in its original packaging to some obscure service center is limited...

So that's a total 560 HKD (around 72 USD) just to make the printer accept cartridges sold in HK.

This is a total rip-off. In every other industry than IT this would be considered organized fraud, but because most customers don't understand the inner workings of their hardware, HP think they can get away with it. Thanks for the hint regarding the cartridges, that's an angle I haven't been thinking about :smileywink:

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 15 of 31 (1,951 Views)

alexlist wrote:

[snip] I got in touch with HP Support in Hong Kong, and because my 2 year old printer is out of the 1 year warranty, they want to charge me 300 HKD for the "region reset", plus another 260 for picking the device up and returing it to me. I live on an island and don't have a car, so my motivation for carrying the entire printer in its original packaging to some obscure service center is limited... [snip]

The regionalization reset is handled as a cartridge warranty issue, not the printer warranty.  There should be no charge for this.  The reset can be done over the phone, but you will need access to your computer and printer and will need a set of new cartridges.  Did you call or email?  I have heard folks have had better success calling. 

I will send you a private message requesting some additional information, I should be able to help get this resolved for you.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
mjbs
Message 16 of 31 (1,616 Views)

I have had the same frustrating experience in buying cartridges for my Photsmart C309a. I'm about to order online, but in comparing the serial numbers there is a difference. Is CB322W the same as CB322WN Photo Black Ink?
Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 17 of 31 (1,587 Views)

Hi, have you tried ordering via SureSupply? Once you enter your printer model (and select your home country) it shows all the compatible cartridges.

For the PS c309a, the part number you need is CB322WN (for the XL size photo black cartridge)

Link to SureSupply

https://h30042.www3.hp.com/SureSupply/

Hope this helps

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Top Student
alexlist
Message 18 of 31 (1,577 Views)

Ciara,

it is not a problem to buy 564XL cartridges here in Hong Kong.

The problem is that without a regionalization reset, these cartridges won't work in my printer that I brought from Europe. It only accepts 364XL cartridges, which are not available from SureSupply either for Hong Kong.

However, I don't want to do a regionalization reset here in case I take my printer back home.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 19 of 31 (1,548 Views)

Hi alexlist, the only way to get a region reset is to contact HP phone support

Finding & Installing cartridges after moving to another country

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&docname=c02558798

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Top Student
alexlist
Message 20 of 31 (1,545 Views)

Ciara,

I went through all that. HP Hong Kong initially wanted to charge me 300 HKD for the regionalization reset, plus shipping if I don't bring the printer to a service center myself.

This is absolutely unacceptable, as there is nothing functionally wrong or broken about my printer.

I expect HP to simply provide the software to do this regionalization reset, or even more simply, not introduce such customer unfriendly anticompetitive practices like ink cartridge regionalization.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation