Question
Photosmart C309a and 564XL ink cartridges
Replies (30)

Student
cornflakegirl29
Message 21 of 31 (471 Views)

Re: Photosmart C309a and 564XL ink cartridges

Thank you very much for your post. I have purchased and returned ink 3 times, searched countless stores and the internet. I finally found your post and opened the smaller cartridge and YES! it fits. I had no idea. Truly, thank you.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 22 of 31 (436 Views)

Hi cornflakegirl, glad to know your issue is resolved :smileyhappy:

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Student
CarpeDiemLise
Message 23 of 31 (399 Views)

What did you buy that finally works when you returned ink 3 times previously?  I'm confused as to what I need to get for my C309a to work since HP doesn't sell the wide black 564XL anymore.  The thinner black cartridge won't fit for me.  Thanks.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 24 of 31 (394 Views)

CarpeDiemLise wrote:

What did you buy that finally works when you returned ink 3 times previously?  I'm confused as to what I need to get for my C309a to work since HP doesn't sell the wide black 564XL anymore.  The thinner black cartridge won't fit for me.  Thanks.

The thinner black cartridge will fit, either the XL or standard version.  The Photo cartridge will not fit in the black slot.  The documents here show the new black XL cartridge and the document here discusses the difference between the Black and Photo cartridges.

Make sure you are using a Black and not a Photo cartridge in the slot on the right side.

Figure 1: Photo ink cartridge with camera logo
Image: Photo ink cartridge with camera logo
Figure 2: Black ink cartridge
Image: Black ink cartridge

Black and Photo cartridges also have different label icons:

Figure 3: Photo ink cartridge
             Image: Photo ink cartridge
       Figure 4: Black ink cartridge
          Image: Black ink cartridge

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
arizman2
Message 25 of 31 (369 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK, so I have a C309a printer.

At the beginning of this thread, the poster says he/she has a CN684WA cartrige.  I take it that this cartrige is compaible with the C3098a printer.

I just went to Staples and purchased a Black 564XL cartrige (without the camera logo).   On the bottom of the box, it says CN684WN.   Staples did not have a CN864WA, just the CN864WN.

Now I have not unwrapped this "WN" cartidge because I cannot return it If I do so.

Am I correct in assuming that the CB321WN cartrige is the wrong one  for my C309a printer and that I need the "WA" version ?      

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 26 of 31 (357 Views)

Hi

The CN864WN is fine to use for your printer. For further queries on compatibility, check out SureSupply or the eSupplies app...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead/Cartridge-Compatibility-how-to-find-out-w...

Ciara

Student
dwsco
Message 27 of 31 (296 Views)

How many cartages does your machine hold?

Mine has 5   Black xl, Magenta xl, Cyan XL, Yellow xl, and a Black Photo.  I can no longer find the Black XL that fits into the first position,  the new replacement only fit in the Photo Black position.

My printer is not working.

Honor Student
JimmyJaws
Message 28 of 31 (113 Views)

I am stunned and incensed that HP created a new cartridge and gave it the exact same part number 564xl as an older 564xl cartridge that does not fit in my printer.  

I went to the trouble and expense of buying a brand new HP OEM cartridge.  I used the exact same part number as the one I took out of my printer but it doesn't fit. And now I can't print because I'm all out of black ink.

If anyone can explain this I'm all ears.  It seems insane.

Why would you create a new cartridge and give it the same part number as a different cartridge that doesn't fit so all your customers can go out and buy the wrong cartridge?

Honor Student
JimmyJaws
Message 29 of 31 (112 Views)

What you missed is that the older 564xl is NOT compatible and won't fit in the NEW printers.  Naming the new cartridge with the same part number as an older cartridge that doesn't fit is simply insane.  I am incensed.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 30 of 31 (99 Views)

The size of the 564xl black cartridge was changed a few years ago but it will still fit in the printer. Check out the link below for details

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&docname=c02750681

Does this help?

Thanks, Ciara

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation