Question

Honor Student
gregw20
Message 1 of 12 (407 Views)
Accepted Solution

Photosmart C4280 Driver, HP Solution Center

I need help.  I have the above all-in-one printer for years and have had no problems with drivers and software.  As soon as I upgraded my laptop to windows 8.1, HP Solution Center tells me I need to re-install.  I called HP because I could not find the driver anywhere (and I do not have the CD either) and they told me that this printer is obsolete and the driver is no longer available. 

Can someone please provide me with information on how I can locate this driver and re-install HP Solution Center?

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 2 of 12 (385 Views)

Re: Photosmart C4280 Driver, HP Solution Center

Hi gregw20,

I am glad to see you brought your concerns to the HP Forums. I can certainly help you with this. Although the printer is in fact absolute, there is full feature software available for you to download and install.

You can download and install your software here; PS_AIO_C4200_NonNet_Full_Win_WW_140_404.exe, or you can download and run the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows.

The HP Printer Install Wizard for Window was created to help Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 users download and install the latest and most appropriate HP software solution for their HP Printer.

If you have any difficulty with either of these install options, please let me know. I will gladly follow up and provide additional assistance if need be. If however this resolves the issue, please let us know! :smileyhappy:

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
gregw20
Message 3 of 12 (345 Views)

Hello,

I tried to install the software via the link you provided and during installation it told me that I already installed the software.  When I click on the HP solutions center it tells me that the program needs to be reinstalled before working properly on this new version of windows.  Please help?

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 4 of 12 (328 Views)

Hi gregw20,

Since the software is installed and is still not working properly, I suggest performing a comprehensive uninstall and reinstall. Please use the steps below and let me know the outcome.

1. Hold down the Windows Logo key () on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box, type %temp%
  2. Delete all files and folders from the temp folder. Choose skip if any pop ups appear saying any of the files could not be deleted
    • After the software downloads and extracts, open the temp folder again, use the instructions from step 1.

• Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

• Open folder Util

• Open folder CCC

• If you have an HP computer run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have anon-HP computer run the L4uninstall.exe

• When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

3. Temporarily disable startup services
    • Click the Windows icon ( ) on the Windows taskbar.

• Type msconfig in the Search programs and files box, and then press Enter . The MSCONFIG window opens.

• Select the Startup tab, and then click Disable All to turn off any programs that start when you turn on the computer.

• Select the Services tab, the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, click Disable All , and then click OK .

4. Temporarily disable Windows Update
    • Click the Windows icon ( ), click All Programs , and then click Windows Update .

• In the left pane, click Change settings .

• Under Recommended updates , click Never check for updates , and then click OK . If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

5. Restart the computer
  6. Follow these steps to reset the registry settings and options for Windows Installer.

• Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /unregister, and then click OK.
    • Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /regserver, and then click OK
       *Note: there is a space between the c and the /

If you have any difficulty with this step, please use this link to perform it another way. Restarting Windows Installer
  7. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tool < How to Delete files using Disk Cleanup
  8. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
  9. Restart the computer
  10. Follow the instructions in this document During printer installation in Windows 8.1, a 'System cannot find file specified' Message Displays o...  - This document can be used for more than just the 'System cannot find file specified' message. You will see that step 2 suggests you download and install the software, I only need for you to complete step one and then return to the steps here.  Note: If you choose "Option two: I have more than one HP printer installed on the computer" in the document, you will need to return to the document to perform step 3. This will make more sense when you read over the document.
  11. Download and run the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows The HP Printer Install Wizard for Window was created to help Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 users download and install the latest and most appropriate HP software solution for their HP Printer.
  12. If you chose "Option two: I have more than one HP printer installed on the computer" in the document from step 11, you will need to return to the document to perform step 3 before proceeding to the next step.If you choose option 1 in the document you can proceed to the next step, you are done with that document.
  13. Enable startup programs
    • Click the Windows icon ( ) on the Windows taskbar.

• Type msconfig in the Search programs and files box, and then click msconfig in the dialog box. The MSCONFIG window opens.

• Select the General tab, select the Normal Startup check box, click Apply, and then clickClose.

• Click Restart to make these changes when the computer restarts.

• Restart the computer.

14. Re-enable Windows Update
    • Click the Windows icon ( ), click All Programs, and then click Windows Update .

• In the left pane, click Change settings .

• Under Install updates automatically, click Never check for updates , and then click OK. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Source - Steps 4,5, 14 and 15 are from the HP Fatal Error 'Error 1603 document.

I look forward to hearing from you!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
DD169
Message 5 of 12 (312 Views)

I have bought a new laptop, and needed to install my printer - when I install I get a message that there is a file missing or an element of a file - the troubleshooter guide said to disable my firewall, which I did but I still get the same error message

I don't have the disc any more [lost in a teenagers bedroom] so I was trying to install via the HP website - I'm no techno genius, so simple help would be really appreciated. Many thanks Diane

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 6 of 12 (302 Views)

Hi DD169,

I see you are having difficulty installing the software for your C4280. You can download and run the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows.

The HP Printer Install Wizard for Window was created to help Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 users download and install the latest and most appropriate HP software solution for their HP Printer.

If you have already tried this and was unsuccessful, please post back with your operating system version and a screenshot of the error message. How to take and post a screenshot on HP Support Forum.

Which Windows operating system am I running?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
DD169
Message 7 of 12 (256 Views)

Hello & apologies for delay, I have been on holiday, I am running windows 8- 64bit - I will try to install again, and send you a copy of the error message

Top Student
DD169
Message 8 of 12 (254 Views)

hp problem.png

This is the error message that I keep getting when I try to run the installation - thanks Diane

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 9 of 12 (244 Views)

Hi DD169,

Thanks for your efforts thus far. Although you have WIndows 8 and not 8.1 I believe the solution in the following document may resolve the issue you have described. During printer installation in Windows 8.1, a 'System cannot find file specified' Message Displays o....

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance. Fingers crossed :smileyhappy:

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
DD169
Message 10 of 12 (224 Views)

Hello - I have tried to find the .dat files as described in your instructions, there does not appear to be any?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation