Question

Top Student
zbaba
Message 1 of 10 (11,823 Views)

Photosmart c309a Critical Firmware Update serious bug (?)

There is a critical firmware update on HP support,  file 221134_hpcom_C309a_fw_update_v4.exe.  If you install this, everything seems OK.  However, if you try to install it again, you get an error "Printer Is Not Connected....". This message is erroneous, the printer remains connected and working.  But to me it is a potential indication of a serious bug in the update that could prevent it from ever doing a firmware update again.

I only tried installing it a second time because I wasn't sure it actually updated. Although you can easily get the firmware version from the printer, HP support has no info on these numbers. Great.

So everything is OK except I fear there is a latent problem that will ocuur on the next real firmware update which will put many out warranty and phone support.

I have called HP support several times on this but they don't seem to understand.

Anyone can try this. Just do the update, then try it again. The update is dated  07-2009 onthe HP web site.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 10 (11,815 Views)

Re: Photosmart c309a Critical Firmware Update serious bug (?)

After doing teh firmware update, did it print a page to indicate it was done? Did it show the new firmware number, and did it end with AR? if yes, then the firmware update was complete.

And I agree, the update program seems to list only the printers that have the old firmware and not the new one. I'll see if something can be done about it. 

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
zbaba
Message 3 of 10 (11,807 Views)

DexterM,  thanks for jumping in here...

The firmware does end in AR, so it is updated. But thats not the main issue.  I tried to install the update again. I would have expected a message like "already updated"  or  "latest version installed", etc.  But I got an error message "Printer Not Connected...." and it stops.  This message is erronious , the printer is still connected and working fine.  So what I am concerned about is that the update (..AR) breaks the ability to be updated again in the future. This would be really bad.

It would be interesting if someone on this forum that did the update, just try to install it again and see what happens.  Then if it gives the same error message I think HP needs to look into it urgently. Is it just the wrong error message or does the upgrade break something.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 10 (11,796 Views)

Why do you want to install the firmware update AGAIN? It's a one-time update. Not like the software updates which need to be reinstalled if the software is reinstalled. This update is installed on the printer itself, and set to stay until a newer firmware is installed. Even resetting the printer wont remove the new firmware.

Also, I dont think the utility is "breaking" something. It's just probably an incorrect "if_the_else" code somewhere in the utility. 

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
zbaba
Message 5 of 10 (11,790 Views)

I didn't want to install it again, I just wasn't sure it installed the first time so I started it again to see if it would tell me anything. I am a SW engineer so I know what is happening.  I hope the error mesage is a simple coding error with no consequences, but if you think about the possibility it is not, that it in fact prevents future updates, if I were in HP engineering I would sure check this one out. Thats all I am saying.

So I am trying to find a way to contact someone in HP engineering in this area, maybe through this forum.

Student
Sauron
Message 6 of 10 (10,729 Views)

Hello,

I have the same problem. I installed my new c309a and after the software-installation I would like to update the firmware but it doesn't work. Under Mac OS X (SL) it will stop after agree the license. And under Windows I get the "device is not connected" error-message. I tried via USB and over network but it doesn't work.

Honor Student
adrianwoodward
Message 7 of 10 (8,246 Views)

Hi,

Me too...

I have the same problem. I installed my new c309a and after the software-installation I would like to update the firmware but it doesn't work. Under Mac OS X 10.6.6.

it will stop after agree the license. 

Where can I find the fix?

Student
espressomac
Message 8 of 10 (8,081 Views)

Same here.   The update stops after hitting the Continue button after agreeing to the license agreement.  Nothing happens.  Using an iMac running 10.6.6.

Honor Student
adrianwoodward
Message 9 of 10 (5,538 Views)

I still have this probelm and cant install firmware manager to update my firmware. So I can then try to fix the scanner problem where the scanner shows as complete and does not download tho the mac.

HP  software is so badly written, O'm have it find a solution to one problem to fix another.

Never buying another BP printer. Fix it HP we are not go to stop asking.

Honor Student
jarylu
Message 10 of 10 (4,953 Views)

I just read the HP employee's comments which only proves how little HP employees respect their customers. Everything written here is legitimate.  There's an obvious bug related to your firmware updates.  I get the same problem that others have.  So here's the deal.  I'm going to copy alot of records this week, run out of ink and junk this piece of crap.  Then, I'm not EVER buying another HP product.  Now, if you lose your job, I think you should just consider it a bug in the underlying system of supply and demand.  I just don't think its any way related to the way customer concers are disregarded by HP employees NOR do I think it is in anyway related to the ineptitude of their programmers OR desiagners.  Your products simply suck. deal with it!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation