11-07-2013 04:25 PM
If you do not attempt the installation, then you won't know for sure. I would enjoy telling anyone that this issue has a clear-cut solution. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Therefore all avenues have to be investigated.
If reinstalling Office 2013 does not resolve the issue, please let me know.
04-01-2014 11:30 AM - edited 04-02-2014 04:14 AM
It is a SHAME that you are a HP support giver.
On multiple occassions it is clear that you DIDN'T EVEN READ what rmcrys posted.
Rmcrys posted that he has the same problem on TWO different computers, both with Win 8 pro 64-bit and Office 2013.
Also, more folks on this very forum have the same problem, which you should know.
In this light, it's a moronic 'solution' to suggest installing Office 2013 again.
Stop spamming this forum.
04-01-2014 11:50 AM
After quite some time, I still have the issues. I installed Windows 8.1(German with English language pack from Microsoft) and office 2013 (English) again, all updates and the same thing. I bought a media center and I installed the same apps, the same result.
THAT JUST HAPPENS WITH HP DRIVERS ON OFFICE! Epson and Brother drivers have no problems whatsoever. Until now, no help from HP. From HP the same low quality like-4th-grade-guys-same-old-uninstall-them-instal
06-02-2014 02:01 AM
Is there a solution????
I have the same problem on an Officejet Pro 8000.
It is not related to Office, but to Adobe PDF documents, but only when viewed (printed) under browser control. Loading and printing through Adobe Reader results in correctly displayed english captions.
The problem is also evident in Notbook, and Paint.
Printer has been uninstalled, windows cleanup run, and also registru cleaned of all officjet Pro 8000 referencs. After subsequent install of printer, same situation occurs.
And because I did not look to print PDf to this printer when it was new, HP will not provide support and try to get ths resolved.
Time a solution is discovered - other printer manufacturers are able to "get it right".
06-05-2014 03:13 PM
Same problem here:
06-05-2014 03:44 PM
This worked for me (not an acceptable solution for all I believe):
Go to start, Control Panel and then double click on Regional Settings and change the language there to