Question

Student
johnsto1
Message 1 of 12 (9,312 Views)

Printer Drivers for HP PhotoSmart 1100 for Windows 7

I just bought a laptop with Windows 7 Premium and I can't find any drivers for my HP 1100 printer.  I've looked in HP and MS official sites and searched the Web but no answers.  I only have an XP Home SP1 disk

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 12 (9,298 Views)

Re: Printer Drivers for HP PhotoSmart 1100 for Windows 7

If this is the Photosmart 1100 with the #45 and 78 cartridges then use the Deskjet 970 driver available through Windows Update.  Use the instructions here, starting with step 2.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
hav4u
Message 3 of 12 (8,307 Views)

There is no Deskjet 970 on the list.  There are two Deskjet 970's, but they both have letters associated with them, such as 970ci (or something similar).  Will either of those work?

Honor Student
hav4u
Message 4 of 12 (8,306 Views)

The printers listed as alternative to Photosmart 1100 are HP Deskjet 970Cse and HP Deskjet 970Cxi.

Will either of those work as drivers for Photosmart 1100?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 12 (8,301 Views)

hav4u wrote:

The printers listed as alternative to Photosmart 1100 are HP Deskjet 970Cse and HP Deskjet 970Cxi.

Will either of those work as drivers for Photosmart 1100?

Both are the same, the Cse and Cxi  suffix only indicates differences in marketing channels.  The drivers are identical and either Deskjet 970 driver will work with the Photosmart 1100.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

Honor Student
hav4u
Message 6 of 12 (8,285 Views)

I've downloaded the driver HP Deskjet 970Cse.  Unfortunately it doesn't operate the printer.  I have two printer icons now.  One is the HP Deskjet 970Cse; the other is my actual printer PhotoSmart 1100.  The Deskjet icon is set as the default printer.

I don't immediately see how to set my PhotoSmart as the default (if that is necessary before printing.)  Suggestions?

Honor Student
hav4u
Message 7 of 12 (8,276 Views)

Setting the default printer isn't the problem.  Have tried both as the default.  Still not printing.  Thanks for any help that you can give.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 12 (8,254 Views)

hav4u wrote:

Setting the default printer isn't the problem.  Have tried both as the default.  Still not printing.  Thanks for any help that you can give.

How is the printer connected?  Unless you have connected the printer with a parallel cable you will need to complete step 3 here which discusses how to select the correct USB or DOT4 port.  If you are using a parallel port then LPT1: is likely the correct port.

Student
Scotty15
Message 9 of 12 (4,890 Views)

I followed your detailed instructions up to a point.  On Step 3: Configure the driver and item 2,  I clicked on ports tab but item 3 drop down did not did not contain a USB or DOT4 choice. It only contained choices for LPT1-3, COM1-4, FILe and USB001 virtual printer port. I tried the USB001 but in the next step 4 (Update Device Manager) but the item 3 selection did not contain my product in an Other device list (there was no Other device list).  There was a USB Virtualization with an entry for USB Vitualization Connector Driver.  I don't know what USB Virtualization. I have 4 real USB 2 ports.

Help!  I want to use my printer.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Scotty

Honor Student
henrycarl
Message 10 of 12 (1,069 Views)

The HP Deskjet 970 Cse works on my HP Photosmart Printer ok in word but not when printing a web pag.   It will pring in Black with Word OK but only in Green on the web pages etc.  also it will not print both sides automatically and I do not have all the control settings that I had when on XP with the drivers I used then. Any thoughts?

Rev. Hardt

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation