Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

MY photo software can't print to a printer name greater than 31 characters. No problem with USB name but printer name for wireless has "(network)" after it making it too long. How can I change the printer file name in the PC printer menu?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Open the Printer and Faxes folder.  Right-click on your printer.  Select Rename, and name the printer what you need.  That should be all you have to do.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

What OS are you using?

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

OS is Xp with SP3. Restate of minor problem: Photo program will not recognize a printer whose name is more than 31 characters.  It will print with USB but not Wireless because the printer's wireless name includes "(network)" after it making the name too long.

HP Recommended

Open the Printer and Faxes folder.  Right-click on your printer.  Select Rename, and name the printer what you need.  That should be all you have to do.

Signature
HP Recommended

I have Windows 7.  One of my win7 laptops has suddenly changed the name of my printer to "Fax" etc, and now will not print any documents I try.  I tried to change its name using start menu, Devices andPrinters, find printer icon, right click and am NOT offered to rename it.  

Can anyone tell me how to change its name back to a printer?  It is an HP 6700 Premium All-in-one.

HP Recommended

For HP printes and Windows 10, the process is a bit more obtuse.  I suggest this sequence of actions:

1.  From the Start icon, go to Settings > Devices
  2. At the bottom of that list, open "Devices and Printers"
  3. In "Devices and Printers", right-click on the printer and select "See what's printing" and select your printer.
  4. In the window that appears from 3 above, select Printer > Properties.
  5. Edit the printer name that shows up  in the box.
  6. Now you must wait for Windows to update the printer name in the "Devices" window.  If you quit too soon, your changes will not be made.
  7. Change as many names as you like -- just wait for the updated name to show up in "Devices"

I had to discover this, and I hope it saves you some time and frustration.

HP Recommended

Halwho -- Your post gave me an idea that led to discovering how to edit a printer name on an HP computer or HP printer drivers.  Check out my solution, which should work for your version of Windows.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.