Question

Top Student
ianb2711
Message 1 of 6 (291 Views)
Accepted Solution

Printer wont install

[ Edited ]

running the HP smart installer to in install my HP LaserJet10 colour/MFP (m175nw)...seems to take quite a while...gets to 99% then the following message appears....

An install operation took too long to execute.This is a fateal error preventing product use.Please restart your computer, and run the installer again.If the problem persists,please check the product support website fo your product

So i reboot and restart installer an same message appears again

Regents Professor
SuperMario1
Message 2 of 6 (232 Views)

Re: Printer wont install

Hello ianb2711,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand the installation of the LaserJet is failing. I order to assist you properly, please try all of the following steps:

1. Press the Power button or switch to turn off the product, if it is not off already.

2. Disconnect the USB cable from both the product and the computer, if you already connected it.

3. Press the Power button or switch to turn on the product.

4. Reconnect the USB cable to the product and to the computer.

The HP Smart Install program should start automatically. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.

If the HP Smart Install program does not start automatically, AutoPlay might be disabled on the computer. Follow these steps to start the installation:

Click the Windows icon, click My Computer, double-click the HP Smart Install CD icon, and then double-click the SISetup.EXE file.

5. If the program prompts you to select a connection type, select the USB cable option.

6. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish installing the software.

Please let me know how this troubleshooting goes. Thanks!

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" next to it to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
ianb2711
Message 3 of 6 (218 Views)

Followed points above.... It runs the installer and eventually comes up with the same message at the end of product setup stage....
Goes through prepare to install stage ok... The connect to product stage takes awhile to get to 99% then the same message appears as before
Regents Professor
SuperMario1
Message 4 of 6 (216 Views)

Thank you for the response.

I would like you to create a new administrator user account, just in case there is some hidden corruption based off of your current user account. Please follow these specific steps, since I am providing instructions on unlocking a specific user account:

Run Command Prompt as Administrator. To do that, go to the start menu, type “CMD” in the search bar. Now, you should see a shortcut for CMD above. Right click on it, and click “run as administrator”. If it asks you for administrative permission, please allow permission. In your Command Prompt window (as administrator), type the following and hit Enter: net user administrator /active:yes

You should see a message saying "the command completed successfully". After troubleshooting is done, you can disable this account by typing the following command into Command Prompt (as administrator): net user administrator /active:no. Restart the computer, and utilize the new account that is available, which should be named "Administrator". In this user account, proceed with the following:

(Note, ensure these changes are completed in the Administrator account that was just created.)

After this account is created, I would like you to perform a clean boot on the computer. This will prevent most third-party programs from interfering with the software installation, since some third-party programs can provoke this issue. Here is some information on how to perform a clean boot: Performing a Clean Boot in Windows

The next step is performing a System File Check. To do this, run Command Prompt as administrator again. Type in this command and hit Enter afterward: sfc /scannow

SFC stands for System File Checker, and it scans and attempts to restore corrupted Windows files. Running this might find a corrupted file or service and repair it. After it completes it will basically say either no corrupted files were found, corrupted files were found and repaired, or corrupted files were found but were unable to be repaired. Restart after this completes and record your results.

After the check is complete, I want to ensure that all Windows updates have been installed. Here is some information on how to install all of your Windows updates: Windows Updates

Before you install the printer again, I would like you to re-register the Windows Installer service. To do this properly, please open Command Prompt as administrator and type the following commands (hit enter after the first command):

msiexec /unregister

msiexec /regserver

After this is done, uninstall and reinstall the printer software. Let me know what happens. Thanks.

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
ianb2711
Message 5 of 6 (193 Views)

Yes this has worked ... I can now print things but..when I come to use the HP LJ 100 scan it just says that it wasn't found
Regents Professor
SuperMario1
Message 6 of 6 (190 Views)

Thank you for the response! I'm glad that I helped you install the software, and I will help you with the scanning error. Since I did resolve the install error, if you could mark my posts with Accepted Solution and Kudos, that would be appreciated and help everyone else with this issue!

In regards to the scanner error, please try the steps in this HP document for starters: In Windows 'An error occurred while communicating with scanning device' Message Displays When Scanni...

One of the steps suggests running the Print and Scan Doctor. Please run it and report any errors that it finds. In addition, let me know the results of the other steps (please ignore the uninstall and reinstall steps for now). Thanks!

Mario

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation