Question
Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on
Replies (98)

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 21 of 99 (9,987 Views)

Re: Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on

Melvin42 wrote:

So where is HP to reply to these complaints? [snip]

Please be aware that this forum is a peer to peer support forum, it is not a direct link to HP support.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
FRANK-1080
Message 22 of 99 (9,876 Views)

Re: Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on

Uncanny! My 8500 stopped printing correctly 5 days after warranty ran out! I am cleaning the print heads, ordered new REMANS and lower cost cartridges to see if it brings the printer up to speed. I could not find info on How to get to the heads. I tried the bit about holding the OK button down for >3 seconds to park the heads on the left. Didn't work! I then looked closely at the top and noted some lines that looked like a cover of sorts on the right. VIOLA! After much prodding it "popped" open and there were the heads! Here's another interesting bit of info - after the HP OEM cartridge ran out of ink, it stopped working until I put another OEM cartridge in, at $25 a pop it is a very expensive printer! 

Top Student
mauigene
Message 23 of 99 (9,008 Views)

I am writing an article for a major PC magazine concerning the issues with the 8500 printer and the lack of concern coming from HP. This will be submitted in the May 2012 issue. Stand by for news....

Student
oxkpyujaox
Message 24 of 99 (8,733 Views)

i'm having the same problem! i bought it in jan. and my brother didn't fix it till now. it's cleaning every **bleep** time! i bought new sets of ink cartridges. already low due to numerous cleaning. i only printed 3x!!!

L_L Honor Student
Honor Student
L_L
Message 25 of 99 (8,698 Views)

Hello everyone. I too bought this multifunction printer because I am moving to a paperless environment and I needed a scanner with duplex in order to digitize the documents without having to manually flip them. Unfortunately, a dedicated scanner with duplex was more than 3 times more expensive than this multifunction printer so I decided for this printer. Bad idea. In two years, I have printed around 20 pages with the black cartridge only option and already went through 3 sets of ink cartridges and printheads (that's 3 times 4 XL cartridges and 6 printheads) :smileyfrustrated: . To make things worse, if one cartridge is empty this printer refuses to finish turning on so that I can SCAN DOCUMENTS. Every time I turn mine on, it takes a lot longer than 3 minutes. Once it actually took a ridiculously long 1h50m ( yes one hour and fifty minutes). As far as I know there is no "HP approved" workaround for this problem and the only solution is to contact HP support so that they report the problem internally. I have already contacted HP support twice by phone and they took note of my complain (I think) and said the "issue" would be forward to the department responsible (can't remember which one was it). Well, this is not an issue but a problem. An issue would not stop anyone from working. I don't want to cast more gasoline into the fire but I don't think any problem with this printer will ever be solved since my first contact was more than one year ago. The last time I contacted HP support, the person who answered the phone was kind enough to tell me that I should not expect the problem to be solved since HP had already ditched development for this printer and were concentrating on the new 8600 series, so only major problems or problem that have too many affected costumers could potentially be addressed. For them to know if there are many costumers affected everyone should contact HP support. My previous printer was (and still is when required) a HP Deskjet 690C and despite all the age, and some wear , it produces superior printing and does not bug me with missing colours. The 690C printer, when it is missing a colour, it simply warns me and prints without that colour. And this is how a printer should work. It is better to have a document with missing colours than not have the document at all. Why did HP changed this strategy? I have read somewhere in these forums that the reason for the 8500 to work this way was for the printhead not to suck air into it and cause more serious damages to the printer. Well, my 690C had printed millions (and I mean millions) of pages with only the black cartridge filled and the tricolour empty and is still working fine. Never had a single problem with the 690C. And heck, if the more recent printheads can't take the heat why don't HP just disables that printhead until a filled cartridge is inserted but still allows the printer to work with the other cartridges? As an electronics engineer, I can tell you that it can't be that hard. And if anyone from HP comes across this post and thinks and can't do it, here is a challenge, publicly open source both the specifications (hardware schematics) and firmware of this printer and let me know about it. Then we'll talk. One more thing. One of the times the 8500 complained about an empty cartridge I went into the trouble of opening the cartridge and it was still half full which means that the measuring technique that HP uses is faulty. If this printer was great that cartridge would have been full and I would never have received any warning. Who needs to clean printheads that were never used?
Student
chitown55
Message 26 of 99 (8,612 Views)

I purchased the 8500 in January of 2011 and used 1 set of regular 940 ink cartridge and 2 sets of XL cartridges.  My boyfriend had infected my computer with a virus and decided to purchase his own computer and I decided to upgrade from the multi-function printer that had served me very well for 9 years --- it's an HP.  Three weeks ago he informs me that the printer will not print.  At first I thought it was out of ink so I proceeded to go to Costco and buy the XL cartridges.  After changing the cartridges, I take a look at it and attempt to copy, but received the message that the "Printhead Appears to be Missing or Damaged and must be replaced".  I played the animation of cleaning the printheads and then went online to HP's website (support) and found the instructions.  I followed them in cleaning the printhead and the interior only to receive the same message and became extremely frustrated.  I then proceed to call HP support and get "Maria".  I have to recite what steps I have taken twice and then she has me unplug the printer, wait 20 seconds and plug it back in.   This resolves nothing.  Then she tells me to turn it off, wait 20 seconds, turn it back on and press the number 6 key and the # key.  I inform her that this piece of equipment has no keys; it has an LED screen and no buttons.  Then she wants me to press the "back" button 4 times which means I have to hit a function (copy), hit the "back" button and repeat the entire procedure before the error message once again appears so that she can attempt to remotely reconfigure the machine.  When all of this fails, she informs me that HP might no longer carry the printhead for the 8500.  I express my disgust considering I have only had the printer for 13 months.  She then informs me that a new printhead will cost $60 or I can purchase a new machine with an extended warranty for $200.  After reading the other posts on here, I have to agree that there should have been a recall on this product at the very least.

Top Student
tgreen47
Message 27 of 99 (8,532 Views)

Re: Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every 4-5 copies

[ Edited ]

I have 2 of these printers one in the office and one in my home. I'll never buy another HP printer! After years buying their printers this is the worst printer I ever owned. Since I did the firmware update this piece of crap cleans the heads every 4-5 copies. I've put up with this problem in my office now for 5-6 months. The office next to me has a Brother printer and has none of these problems. Guess what I'll be buying for the office and the house! HP shoud be addressing these issues but they are not. 14831 Views and no answer yet on how to fix. Everyone is not just viewing this problem just for the heck of it!

Honor Student
artnall
Message 28 of 99 (8,343 Views)

Well i must say I am honestly surprised.  I purchased my 8500A when my 7250 had internal issues. I sent it back after 2 hours of trying to figure out what to do on the phone with HP with my 7250. Funny thing is it had its problem 2 months after the factory warranty was up. HP would not even really help unless I paid them to talk about the issue. I didn't until finally I was able to squeeze it out of the rep that even if I did pay to talk the only thing they could do was offer me a new printer in exchange for my older one. I bit the bullet and did it. I wanted a good printer for my new home business and that the 8500 would be a good fit.  Don't get me wrong this printer has done well except that less then a year it has a major problem such as this is a little irritating.

My 8500 has been doing the same thing as many of yours, wanting to clean the printheads after every 5-8 print jobs, but I left my printer on and just let it go into sleep mode that seemed to help a little bit. After replacing the print cartridge twice now, that's $150 BTW, I am fed up with HP. Printheads needs replacing, really how many times have I come across print "heads" needing to be replaced. Never.

I am now going to attempt to call HP again for a different machine, I hope i get better results because if I get the "Offer" again I'm going to be pissed. This might be that last product that I purchase that is an HP, I do this while using a HP Pavilion dv6 laptop. I buy HP and have a lot of there computer based products but this might be the last time. HP is definetly not being represented like they used to be when they started. HP if you read this get back to your roots.

Honor Student
whiteyp
Message 29 of 99 (8,220 Views)

I too am having this issue.  My HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier All-in-One Printer - A909n takes 3-4 minutes everytime I turn it on the check and clean the print heads.  I replaced all cartrdiges and print heads per HP's request and at my cost.  The issue is still there.  I could have purchased a brand new AIO for the same price of the heads, etc.

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?  Why cant HP update the firmware to fix this?

Also did anyone else have any issues with the cartridges that came with printer?  Mine came with an extra set and the cartridges were empty when I went to use them. 

Top Student
tgreen47
Message 30 of 99 (8,217 Views)

All HP cares about is selling the printers and ink cartridges, they don't care if you have problems. Remember if they fix the problem you wouldn't have to buy as much ink or new print heads.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation