Question
Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on
Replies (99)

Honor Student
FRANK-1080
Message 31 of 100 (4,856 Views)

Re: Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on

I solved the issue by never turning the printer OFF and refilling the cartridges.

Honor Student
erisw
Message 32 of 100 (4,850 Views)

Re: Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on

Mine does it, even when I never turn it off. It's just great to be in the middle of copying a document for a waiting client and 20 pages in having to stop because it's 'checking printer'. What I find most interesting is that we have two of these printers in our office, and the other one does not do this....We've always bought HP. Not anymore.

I've had to unplug this printer more times in the few short months I've had it than I did in the YEARS I had my previous printer.

Top Student
tgreen47
Message 33 of 100 (4,849 Views)

i have the HP Officejet  older model 8500 909n series. I never had these problems with the old original firmware, Not sure what the version was. This problem started after we started doing the updates. I think this is something HP did to sell additional ink cartridges. HP use to be a good product now it's all about the money and not customer service.

Honor Student
Evansca11
Message 34 of 100 (4,781 Views)

Expert Day is Today ! Hope an expert can help us on that case...

If I try to sum up this topic... many users (this topic is 4 pages long), including me, are experiencing an issue where the printer (8500 or 8500A) cleans the printhead every time it starts + every 10/20/30 prints.

Consequence : The printer, advertised as ecological with a low cost/page, becomes a financial abyss for our wallets : we need to replace our cartridges every two months or less because of those "cleanings"

I contacted the HP support by phone this afternoon, and I will get a replacement unit on friday. But what worries me is that users on this forum experienced the same issue with a replacement unit. I've even read about a user that received another model (8600) after a few unsuccessful replacements because the tech support couldn't find the problem.

Could an expert check what's going on with that printer or firmware and finally offer us a solution (new firmware, replacement with another model like 8600) ? There are four pages of complaints on this forum, don't tell me that this is "normal" for a business printer...

Honor Student
whiteyp
Message 35 of 100 (4,766 Views)

I called several times and the best I get HP to offer is an 8600 after I pay more money.  My 8500 is brand new.  Purchased in 2010 but finally taken out of the box and had to replace the print heads and all cartridges even though they did not expire.

How can HP allow this to continue?  What logic did you use to get a replacement at no cost? 

Cant someone at HP update the firmware to stop cleaning the printheads on start up?

Student
Annoyed2012
Message 36 of 100 (4,628 Views)

I just replaced a single cartridge.  The machine selfed checked and cleaned printheads for over 15 minutes.  Figured I'd keep this complaint train rolling.

Honor Student
Hybrid34
Message 37 of 100 (4,575 Views)

I own two  HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 one from a few years ago and the latest.

i signed up to the forums JUST to post on this as its very fustrating.

BOTH have this issue, taking a few minutes to boot up because of the cleaning printheads.

Also the ink issue where it uses up a heap of ink.

This printer had great potential, but unfortunatley is nothing but a time waster and money waster.

And I know companies scout webpages for information and feedback.

Please HP keep your valued customers by finding a solution in a firmware upgrade.

Because at this stage your reputation as a trusted branded company is starting to diminish, and it only takes awareness and 'spreading the word' for this to happen.

Honor Student
PlanetLord
Message 38 of 100 (4,562 Views)

Misery loves company but not in this case. I also registered simply to post about this really crappy printer.

My printer also does the constant cleaning when turned on. Loading the latest firmware didn't help. It reports the cyan cartridges dry after printing less than 10 pages. Sadly mine is a few months out of warranty.

I'm an IT professional and used to recommend HP printers and wouldn't buy anything else for my personal use but no more. An outright recall on this printer is the only thing that will get me to ever buy another HP printer AND get me to make it a point to NOT recommend HP to my friends and co-workers.

I work at a mid-size business, decide on IT purchases and will no longer recommend HP printers for my users. I haven't had this type problem with HP laser printers but if the level of concern shown by HP for this problem is any indication at least it lets me stop buying HP laser printers before the quality there goes down to.

Thankfully, Dell gave us the best contract price for desktops, laptops and servers.

Honor Student
joe2go
Message 39 of 100 (4,546 Views)

[ Edited ]

I found the solution to the problem with HP.  I purchased three 8500s and experienced all of the above mentioned problems.  I talked with many people in India and the U.S. and the only thin acquired was frustration and attempts to persuade me to buy another printer at a discount of about 10%.  MY SOLUTION was to use all three for a Staples $50.00 discount on printer trade-ins.  (They run these sales often).  I got $150.00 for three pieces of junk and bought two Epsons and one Canon, all of which have been performing beautifully.  [Legal Discussion Removed]

Honor Student
artnall
Message 40 of 100 (4,523 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well I did as promised and if anyone that read my previous comment on this forum page saw that I was going to try and contact HP about resovling the problem.  SO GUESS WHAT, HP gave me the same **bleep** offer they did before.  After spending 1:30 hours on the phone with technical support and after they admitted there was something wrong with this printer and by the way I had the Cyan and Magenta at 100% the Black was at 85% and the yellow was at 55%. After doing all the troubleshooting here are my ink levels:  Cyan 50%, Magenta 50%, Black 45%, and Yelow was at 0% yes 0% I needed to replace the yellow and wasted a ton of ink through this proccess.  Wow now I need to buy another cartridge for $30. After arguing for sometime I got the same offer:

Return my 8500 at my cost and To purchase a brand new 8600 printer at $200 off as long as I buy the 3 year warranty at $65. The cost of the 8600 was $450, after doing the math it will (with tax) cost me $341 for the new machine. oh and since I will get the starter pack ink with that with in a month I would have to purchase new ink. Another $150. In all $491 to replace my brand new 8500 printer. Let me think about that for 2 secondes. NO.

HP is not standing by their own products.  They are not providing a quality product as they adverstise. The customer service is horrible.  My next option is {Content Removed: legal discussion} I guess but know this I am done with HP for good. Next time I am looking for a printer, laptop, destop, or whatever it is it will definetly not be HP and all who read this which I see at almost 20,000 people so far.

DO NOT BUY HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation