Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on (70670 Views)
Honor Student
HQpress
Message 1 of 100 (70,670 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on

Hello everybody,

the printer HP Officejet Pro all-in-one 8500 (A909a - product n. CB022A) cleans printheads every time I turn it on. This problem affects any HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer, it isn't a problem only of that one I purchased. It is an annoying and irritating bug because the printheads cleaning at each power on implies two bad disadvantages:

1. ink waste (each printheads cleaning process consumes some ink);
  2. too much time (2-3 minutes) to get the printer ready after power on.

I upgraded my printer with the last firmware available on the HP site (firmware ver. DLM1FN1006BR) but the bug is still present.

At this point I ask:

1. there exists a way (or procedure) to disable this unnecessary automatic cleaning at every power on?
  2. Can someone contact HP engineers or tell me how contact directly one of them to indicate the bug and ask a new firmware update?

Please don't tell me to leave the printer turned on all the time or that the printheads cleaning at every power on is a normal behavior! Where is then power and ink saving claimed for this printer model?

I hope to receive a solution for this problem. Thanks in advance to everybody will help me!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 100 (70,632 Views)

Re: Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on

[ Edited ]

The servicing when the printer is turned on is normal and is required to keep the printheads healthy (not clogged). See here for information.

As for power savings, the printer will automatically go into a low power mode when not printing for some time.  It is not necessary to turn the product off and on to save power.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
HQpress
Message 3 of 100 (70,606 Views)

Re: Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on

Thanks for the answer and for the link.

But what about those times one uses only the scan function of the printer? According to me, it should be implemented a combination of buttons (to do right after the power on) that avoids printheads cleaning only for that session and disables all printing functions except the scanning function. I would like that HP takes in consideration this suggestion and if it is the case to implement it in a future release of the firmware. Is it an utopia? Does this message reach who attends at firmware maintenance?

It shoud be noted that my suggestion meets environment's safeguard.

Honor Student
JunkEvolution
Message 4 of 100 (70,528 Views)

I have a similar problem, but not with the power up sequence.  The printheads clean very frequently, sometimes after printing only a sheet or two of paper (either plain paper or hi-gloss photo paper).  Very annoying and time consuming when printing a document.

Student
wecarepolk
Message 5 of 100 (69,857 Views)

I also have that problem, and sometimes the 'checking' and 'cleaning' takes 15 minutes!  Hope someone can find a solution to this problem. 

Student
Dooders
Message 6 of 100 (69,052 Views)

I have the same problem. What they are not telling you is this wears out the printheads so you will need to buy new ones. From reading it sounds like most 8500 printers will stop working just after one year, of course after warranty is out. It is a very expensive machine compare to their advertising energy savings and twice the copies. My machine is 13 months old. Maybe 2000 copies printed on machine since new and now I have to pay another $100+. I wouldn't recommend HP printer to anyone at the present time. HP needs to have a recall.

Honor Student
erisw
Message 7 of 100 (68,789 Views)

We are having this problem as well, we've only had the printer for about two weeks. It does it all the time, like PP mentioned. I'll copy 2 pages, turn to gather another document to copy it, and before I get it started it's cleaning. So frustrating! We have another 8500 sitting in the box, we prefer to have matching printers in our office-but at this point we are hesitant to install the second one. I wish there was a fix for this issue, because other than this I have been thrilled with the printer.

Student
rajiv_pereira
Message 8 of 100 (68,579 Views)

Has anyone found a way to do away with this printhead cleaning each time? really regret purchasing this product  - such a waste of time each power on.

Student
rutgersmo
Message 9 of 100 (67,806 Views)

I purchased the Officejet Pro 8500A E all in one in March. One of the selling features was the economy (i.e. it was supposed to use Less ink).

So far in 2 plus months of in home use  I have gone through the Intialiating cartridges / a complete second set of Colors (just replaced the Cyan, Yellow / Magenta yesterday). According to the Printhead Information I have used  in ML's:
Black 62, Yellow 39, Magenta 33 / Blue 33.

I was turning the power off every night / previously I was printing in color.

I will try NOT turning the power off / letting the maching do a diagnostic WHEN the printhead needs to be cleaned (if that's a good idea). I also set the print to Custom : DRAFT / BLACK only.

Will this reduce my need to replace the color cartridges ? The GUI interface seemed to indicate that the Colors were about 20% remaining (yet I was getting a message to replace the catridges)?

Please note that I contacted HP / received new Printheads to reduce the flow of ink. Is the condition I'm describing requiring replacement or are the results so far NORMAL for this machine?  Please advise.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Please email me since I may not see your repsonse / I would like to get HP's feedback.

Also may I suggest that HP engineer the following modifications to their device center:

1. Create a 75%, 50% 25% and benchmark % below which the cartridge must be replaced

2. Create a formula that approximates # of copies used : e.g. if 25 ML of Black , 15 of Yellow, 15 of Magenta / 15 of Blue = 2200 copies I have an idea of how my machine is functioning  (a variation on this would be to create a copy counter)

3. How many copies or at what point do you have to replace the Printheads? Since my diagnostic on Printhead health is "GOOD" I have decided NOT to replace the printheads UNLESS this forum Administrator instructs me to do so.

Thanks for your help / looking forward to your repsonse.

MO

Top Student
Daniel-Bravo
Message 10 of 100 (67,298 Views)

Ok I am am having the same problem. When I'm in a rush or need to print out something for a GUEST of mine I half to wait 15 minutes in order for me to print. I have purchased Hp printers in the past and I don't recall them ever doing that every single POWER UP, and they worked fine/dependable. So if I had to take a wild guess this is a new mechanism to get people to reload on cartridges' faster and every so often. If this is the case I will switch to another brand and remain loyal to those who do not take advantage of people.  I know what your going to say...."Its for quality printing and aSSuring that the printer works fine and it has a power saving mode just for you". Well all I have to say about that is I had hp printers all my lifetime and so far none had to do this routine maintenance and worked perfectly fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation