Question
Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on
Replies (98)

Honor Student
SLBascom
Message 91 of 99 (1,693 Views)

Re: Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on

I'd like to thank everyone who has submitted a comment.  I have had a build up of ink under my printer (like it was bleeding to death) so I had it cleaned. I have had my printer for over 3 years and was going to replace the printer heads. Knowing what I now know, I will look for another brand printer. I think HP stands for High Priced Ink.

Top Student
tgreen47
Message 92 of 99 (1,686 Views)

Re: Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on

I switched to the 8600 pro and added an inkproducts HP Continuous Ink Supply System to it an have had no problems with it. And my cost of printing is very little at all. I trashed my 8500 it was a pece of crap, but the 8600 pro is great.

Top Student
NCHPhater
Message 93 of 99 (1,644 Views)

Hi Tgreen:

I am glad you are one of a very few having no issues with this printer. I am not sure how long you have had the 8600 series printer, but mine worked fine for a few months and it started giving me the problems I have described in previous discussions.  Not to be discouraging to you, but you likely will encounter the same issues. Mine was the 8600 Pro series....Pro meaning a pro piece of crap!  I have purchased another brand, have had no issues at all with it, it uses much less ink, always ready to print at my command, print quality is much higher than the HP 8600 Pro and more user friendly.  I wish you the best of luck with this printer.  But beware, you probably will have issues down the road too.

Top Student
NCHPhater
Message 94 of 99 (1,642 Views)

I would encourage everyone who has posted on this blog issues regarding their HP printers to contact HP by phone and email.  Let them know what kind of crap they sell.  Maybe if enough of us complains, they will issue some form of compensation to offset some of the grief they have put us all through. 

Honor Student
bput
Message 95 of 99 (1,630 Views)

"Maybe if enough of us complains, they will issue some form of compensation.... "

And pigs might fly !! 

Better to write an honest review for amazon. If enough of us do that then they will not be able to sell anymore of this junk.

I titled mine "Wish I'd looked at the HP forum before buying this " or words to that effect.

Honor Student
SLBascom
Message 96 of 99 (1,593 Views)

The cost of new print heads for my HP 8500 is more than the cost of a new printer??? So much for their ECO sense. Need more landfill space.

Top Student
NCHPhater
Message 97 of 99 (1,587 Views)

Hi everyone - I filed a formal complaint with HP's corporate office via their website email.  They actually called me last night from their executive team in response to my very pointed and rather blunt email to them.  Any of you that still have these crappy printers, should do the same as I did and file a complaint through their corporate level email.  Go to their website and follow links and paths until you get to the executive team level which shows the photos of their President and other top execs.  That is where I filed my complaint. They seem to be willing to work with those who still have the printers by offering some type of incentive.  I advised the individual I spoke with that their management should review this blog and just see how many people have complained about the problems with the printheads.  Good luck and I really hope all of you will email them to complain whether you still have the printer around or not.  My printer has been sent to the printer graveyard.  I purchased another brand that works great.

Best of luck to all of you.

Top Student
NCHPhater
Message 98 of 99 (1,587 Views)

Bob - as an employee of HP, you need to go back to doing the job of cleaning printheads yourself manually.  Your response is a joke and no other brand of printer that I have ever used or purchased did this much cleaning. This should be the cleanest printheads around.  We can certainly give these printers the KUDOS on the white glove test for cleanliness. 

Honor Student
bput
Message 99 of 99 (1,505 Views)

Further to my rant about my printer I have at last found out how expensive ink is from hp - here is the link to the volumes of ink in 940xl cartridges - Cartridge volumes

This means that the 4 cartridges equate to 118.5 ml of ink - the "buy all 4 together" option on amazon uk costs 75.47 euro which converted today equals $103.79 us.

Ink from HP costs a staggering $875.87 per litre! I believe there are 42 US gallons in a barrel of oil and at $100 per barrel you could buy 367 gallons or .... wait for it .... 1393 litres of crude for the same money !

Yep 1 litre of HP ink = 1393 litres of crude ! - Now you know why it cleans the print heads so often !

I don't think I will be giving anymore of my hard earned cash to these robbers and  incidentally, if you are a robber, don't risk going to jail for robbing the gas station or grocery store for a packet of smokes and a few hundred bucks - just go round to your nearest HP depot and rob 10 litres of ink - its worth nearly $9000 and you are unlikely to be sent down for pinching ink !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation