Question
Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on
Replies (98)

Honor Student
sabre777
Message 11 of 99 (27,266 Views)

Re: Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on

I downloaded and installed the new firmware update (# LRP1FN1107AR).   My printer now does not go through "checking  printer" and "cleaning printheads" everytime I turn it on.  Now it is up and ready to print in 30 seconds rather than the 2 minutes it initially took.

Student
shscot
Message 12 of 99 (27,160 Views)

Re: Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on

I downloaded all of the latest printer firmware and other printer updates (for my Windows 7 64-bit system), and this annoying and wasteful auto clean problem is still happening with my Officejet Pro 8500 Plus printer.  Any other solutions out there?

Tutor
fiosron
Message 13 of 99 (26,963 Views)

[ Edited ]

Problems listed for the RECALL:

Fake Paper Jams.

"Checking device. This may take several minutes", every 10-20 print copies.

"Cleaning printheads", also every 10-20 pages of print.

I've printed less than 2,000 pages in 1.5 years, and have gone through 6 sets of ink, and 2 sets of printheads.

The "yield" on the high capacity ink is supposed to offer up approximately 900 pages, of standard print.  I do NOT print photos, and only print letters, with standard text.

BOTH printheads were in need of replacement in less than 1,100 pages.

HP is refusing to stand behind this printer, and I've lost so much money and time trying to "make" it work that I've nearly given up.  I purchased 3 of these printers at Sam's Club and Costco Warehouse, and seriously considering returning them under their generous return policies.  Maybe they as large corporations can convince HP to to the right thing.

Top Student
Melvin42
Message 14 of 99 (26,948 Views)

I am having the exact same problem. It is very dissapointing. This new fangled printer should be better and easier to operate than my older models which had a nice tool box where I was IN CONTROL of head cleaning, etc...

Top Student
Melvin42
Message 15 of 99 (26,944 Views)

After reading ALL THE COMPLAINTS on this automatic head cleaning mechanisim with this model, I should think A RECALL IS IN ORDER. I too have only and always used HP Printers. They were dependable the way they were. Why change a good thing?  I upgraded because I am printing labels for a home-based business. I like this printer because I can change the ink cartridges independently which SHOULD save money, not cost more as I have seen in these and my own complaints.

Student
Langbroekmd
Message 16 of 99 (26,943 Views)

I just purchased an HP OfficeJet Pro 8500A Plus pinter.  The features attracted me and the advertised cost per copy of 2.2 cents pushed my decision to this printer. After reading all the negative comments regarding printhead cleaning at a too frequent rate I am hoping that the "Plus" after the name is the printer that HP has corrected this frequent head cleaning. I also did not see a clear answer to "Should I leave the power turned on all the time and let the power saving feature save my energy?", or will this also result in too frequent cleaning of the printheads?

Student
nomoreinkjets
Message 17 of 99 (26,802 Views)

I purchased my Officejet Pro 8500 about a year ago.  I have made WAY less than 2000 copies and have replaced cartridges 3 times! 

Here's the ANSWER to whether you should leave it on or not....  NO!  Apparently, if you leave this printer on, after a few days it LOCKS UP!  The only way to get it working is to UNPLUG it.  This, of course, resets it, and it goes through a cleaning again.

I've heard too many bad replies on this one....  fake paper jams, the printer 'locks up' all the time, etc.

I'm NEVER EVER EVER going to purchase an ink jet again.  Did you know that ink jet ink is the most expensive liquid on the planet per ounce?  Think about it...  The cleaning process wastes tremendous amounts of ink, the cartridges to 'empty' when in fact, they have ink still left in them.  If you do the math and figure out how much the stuff REALLY is costing us per ounce, it's more than the most expensive drugs being sold across the world!

So, this is my LAST inkjet I ever buy.  I'm not going to be a sucker any more, and I'm certainly done buying this liquid 'gold'.

Tutor
fiosron
Message 18 of 99 (26,801 Views)

Well,

to this is say, "get used to it", or throw it away.  Many, Many, Many people have had trouble with this printer.

The following are common and frustrating issues that this printer exhibits on a regular basis:

1.  Constant Self-Checking (usually every 20-30 pages of print)

2. Very persistant Printhead Cleaning/Checking, (Every startup and after about 20-30 pages printed).

3. Worn-out printheads (usually within 1,100 to 1,500 pages printed).

4. Paper mis-feeds. 

5. Paper jams.

6. Nearly impossible to use once the printer reports ink-depletion.

7. Nearly impossible to use CIS Ink for larger print jobs.

8. Ink and printheads "expire" regardless of when they are placed into service. (get a deal on ink or printheads last year?  Too bad, the warranty is already expired, most likely).

In short, this printer is the most EXPENSIVE printer I've ever owned, and the most frustrating to use. 

I have just over 2,000 pages of regular text printed matter with very little color, and have already gone through 4 sets of ink, and 2 sets of PrintHeads. 

Although it's true that you can leave the unit on, and let it go into standby, you should NOT be punished with constant and time-consuming "self-checking" everytime it's turned on, or prints a handful of pages, BUT, it does NOT appear that HP will be standing behind this printer disaster.  AND, to make things worse, they've gone on to redesign it, giving it a different look, and so there are about 6 different models/versions of the OfficeJet Pro 8500.

Anyone needing a reliable print/fax/scan/copy solution should look beyond this printer, because it will leave you wanting more, and spending more than you ever imagined you would have to on a late model printer.

Tutor
fiosron
Message 19 of 99 (26,800 Views)

I've just spent time reading the link regarding ink usage and how HP printers use ink for printhead maintenance etc..

I have yet to read this information when buying Ink (color $69 and black $69, totalling over $140 each time I have to replace ink).  The high capacity cartridges claim 900 pages of print.  I have never printed more than 250-300 pages of text before having to stick a new ink cartridge in again.  Regardless of what HP says, this is a blatant lie regarding the true print capacity of an ink cartridge.

End users are not contemplating the time and cost of the constant self-maintenance that these printers force them to go through.  Rather than admit to a bad design (or perfect design, depending on who's court you're in), people are stuck with a printer that under the best of conditions, works poorly in every way, from paper mis-feeds, jams, error messages, self-checks, self-cleanings, etc..

I print letters, and use very little color ink.  My letters are typical 2-4 paragraphs of standard text.  If you divide the number of pages by the cost of the ink and it becomes clear that this printer is both an ink hog and expensive to run.

The printhead "maintenance"?  The duty cycle of these particular printheads is 15,000 pages.  Mine went by way of the "Dodo" in just over 1,000 pages.  Do the math on that.  Printheads run $70 ea, and you need 2 of those as well.

Let's be generous and say that the printheads lasted 1,200 pages.

And let's consider the amount of ink to print those 1,200 pages is only 3 sets (actually 4 but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt).

In ink I've spent $420, and printheads $140 for a total cost of $560 to print 1,200 pages.  That's a whopping 40-plus cents a page!  Even if someone wanted to argue that I'm exaggerating, go a head and cut that in half, and it's still TWENTY CENTs a page.  Insane and Not a good deal at all.  

BLAME IT ON ALL THAT 'CLEANING' AND 'SELF-CHECKING' IT DOES. 

Again, do the math on actual cost to print with this printer, and one can quickly deduce that throwing it away after it depletes its ink may be the best solution overall, which is too bad, because on the off chance that you catch the printer working as promised, it shows a glimmer of hope albeit short-lived..

Top Student
Melvin42
Message 20 of 99 (26,771 Views)

So where is HP to reply to these complaints?

Probably took all our money and went on their private jet to a vacation at their private island.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation