Question
Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on
Replies (99)

Student
anitacald
Message 51 of 100 (3,336 Views)

Re: Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on

I also have an HP Officejet Pro 8500.  As I live in Costa Rica the power goes off now and again.  This printer is always cleaning printheads and wastes ink.  I am always replacing ink at quite a high cost.  I really wish that I had never purchased this printer.

I Thought the Epson was bad as when it ran out of a certain color the printer would not work, but I think in the end I prefer the Epson compared to the HP.

Student
locdvegan
Message 52 of 100 (3,307 Views)

Re: Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on

sooooo...this printer turned up on my mothers front porch (free, second-hand, from a friend) about a month ago and i'm just now plugging it in to set it up for my daughter...the first time power was connected (ofc it starts doing it's checks and printhead cleaning) i thought something was wrong with it b/c it was taking too long so i turned it off then on, which of course restarted that whole dreadful process (OmG!) and decided to hop on my laptop to see if this was normal or malfunctioning and i ended up here...all i can say is wow...it just finished (i think...it's quiet in there now) so the process took about 15 mins but now i'm afraid to go in there and try to use it LOL! i guess we'll use it til we can't anymore (which might not be long judging from the 6 pages of comments/issues i've read...yes, i read every one of them) and just toss it or take it to staples like someone in here suggested (i pray they wont laugh and send me back home with it).

***3 mins later...i walk back in to find a message saying it needed ink (cyan)...i'm a pretty smart girl so i checked the cartridges when i shut the machine down the first time and there's ink in all of them...i ofc proceeded to try and scan or copy in black and ofc you all know that was a no-go as well...now i no longer wonder why someone got rid of this one...mine was free but this still sucks...***

Honor Student
BusyinToronto
Message 53 of 100 (3,115 Views)

Unless I missed it, we're still waiting for a fix to the problem of the OfficeJet constantly checking and cleaning itself.

The problem isn't that customers are powering it down too often.   I've owned many color printers, and this is the only one that cleans itself so often--without warning--in the middle of a print job.

It's REALLY annoying when you have a lot of work to do and the machine stops to take a vacation after only a small number of prints.

I also have many problems with the crude scanning feature that frequently crashes or produces unnecessarily large files.

Why do I have the feeling the software code was written in Beijing?

Honor Student
BusyinToronto
Message 54 of 100 (3,113 Views)

This does not answer the problem. 

Thre is something wrong if this machine needs to keep cleaning itself so often, even when it's not powered down. Maybe HP sould crack open a Canon printer to see how a color printer is supposed to work.

Top Student
CoinDoc
Message 55 of 100 (2,988 Views)

If you use a power strip to turn the printer off each night, it will do a printhead cleaning procedure when it is turned back on.  You should only use the power button on the printer to turn it off.  It initiates a shutdown sequence (like Windows) that in addition to many other things, parks the printheads.  Thus, when it is turned back on, it recognizes that it was shut down properly and doesn't begin the improper shutdown  restart sequence.  Clear as mud???

I have two of the 8500 (909a) printers and two of the 8500A (910a) printers and following this proper printer shutdown procedure has saved me a ton of ink!

Student
CJHatesPrintr
Message 56 of 100 (2,955 Views)

With all due respect, cleaning print heads is completely understandable.  But cleaning print heads every 3 pages is ludicrous. 

I have no way to justify this.  It costs me more time to use than any printer I have ever seen.  I'm unbelievably disappointed in this device, and will probably look for something from another manufacturer.

It's a broken product, and no attempt to fix it is being made.

Honor Student
shirleythorpe
Message 57 of 100 (2,947 Views)

I do leave my printer on all the time and it still cleans the print heads after it prints then it can take up to 10 minutes to finish cleaning . I am alway replacing ink. It also freezes up if I don't use it for a day or so. It won't do anything. They say you should not unplug you should properly shut it down. The problem is it will not shut down. None of the buttons work. What do you do about that
Student
HPCraiger1
Message 58 of 100 (2,897 Views)

I echo all of these Post's sentiments (way to often 'print head cleaning', long warm-up time, UNCORRECTABLE error messages despite it printing PERFECT pages, no real help from HP, etc, etc). 

My local HP Auth Repair Facility wants $85 to just look at my machine!  I just replaced the print heads with HP Print Heads and the printer is printing all Test/Diagnosis pages PERFECTLY, yet the 'Alignment Error' message comes up after EVERY print job (and it also prints the 'test page').  It's printing perfectly, and since I can't reset the Error Message, my Printer just became disposable.  What a waste...

I am eager to see what Canon/Brother/Samsung has to offer despite being an 'HP PRINTER ONLY' family for over 20 years.

Oh Pooh!

Honor Student
hwkjosh844
Message 59 of 100 (2,581 Views)

This is a joke this printer should not be doing this Checking device cycle everytime it is tunred on for 15 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 60 of 100 (2,572 Views)

hwkjosh844 wrote:

This is a joke this printer should not be doing this Checking device cycle everytime it is tunred on for 15 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the printer is going through an extended cleaning cycle every time the printer is turned on it is probably because you are using an external power switch.  Always keep the printer connected to a live power source, otherwise a warning will be displayed on the control panel and more extensive cleaning cycles will be needed.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation