Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on (80719 Views)
Honor Student
hwkjosh844
Message 61 of 100 (2,149 Views)

Re: Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on

No plugged in directly to the wall no powers strip. 

Honor Student
iamralpht
Message 62 of 100 (2,083 Views)

Re: Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on

I have same problem and also the famous "carriage jam"  problem.

I turned on my printer, then unplugged it and moved the printhead carriage to the left. Under it was a completre mess of blue and black ink. The little rubber flaps are covered and it is pooled on the bottom of the machine. a q tip brings up  thick inky sludge. This machine has always taken over 5 minutes to clean the printheads.

Warranty has expired. BTW: I am 63  and only very lightly used this machine. Not even three full sets of ink through it.

I'm stuck with a broken printer and a full $75.00 pk. of ink.

Check under the print heads at the far right side. You'll have to have the machine turned on and the printhead carriage moved to the left, then  watch the  mechanism on the far right, ( Under where the printheads reside), when it it opens check for ink. Keep hands clear!

Ralpht

Student
PrintRage
Message 63 of 100 (1,941 Views)

Registered just so I can say that my printer has been cleaning and checking for the past 15 mins, all I wanted is a goddamn review sheet for finals and now I am here ranting about this useless piece of metal that isn't doing it's only function. Of course, this had to be in a moment of hurry like the 50 posts before me.

Never buying HP again. To relief my rage this is what I will do (after finals):

1.Find a picture of the team that designed this printer.
2. Print a group photo, or at least try to.
3.Wait 15 mins for the cleaning loop
4. Drive to a remote area with no visible life-form with the printer in my trunk.
6. STick the printed picture ON the printer.
7. SMASH With the fury of a thousand gods.

Tutor
Zauberkind
Message 64 of 100 (1,897 Views)

I have to take issue with your use of "needed"!

Keeping the printer powered on is wasteful of energy, and does not really solve the problem. If I leave the printer on, it still goes through this nonsense on a regular basis: mostly in the middle of a print run.

"Needed" means that HP needs to sell ink and printheads, and the usage of consumables is amazing. I use the printer only rarely, but scan more often. I have, according to the log, printed a total of 444 pages, almost all of which use the "Black ink only" and "Print only black ink" options. I have replaced all the print cartridges, and the Black XL twice.

HP's advertising is, at best, misleading and fraudulent at worst. I won't even get started on customer service!

I have gone, in the space of two years from an HP fan to a person who would avoid HP at all costs: poor design, worse customer service!

Student
tvozz
Message 65 of 100 (1,418 Views)

I had to purchase THREE of these machines and one by one they ALL have the same issues.  I hate this product and will never buy one or recommend one to any of my business associates again.  I complained soon after I bought them and they sent me a USED and DIRTY replacement they called "Re-Manufactured", which of course canceled my extra insurance policy on the item, PLUS, they wanted my newer machine back..NOT.  NEVER NEVER NEVER AGAIN.

Honor Student
rickash
Message 66 of 100 (1,383 Views)

I've been a loyal cusotmer of HP over the last 15 years. However, the last 3 printers I've purchased, the most recent is the HP Officejet 8500 A909n, have been troublesome and overall dissappointing. from difficulties to getting connected to my home network and computers (couple laptops and desktop) to just plain getting/keeping it working is chipping away at my loyalty.

We have several competing brands at work (as well as 4 or 5 Officejets (because I recommended them) and I have to say, HP has been the most troublesome and difficult to use. I'm at the point that the total ROI on these printers is not there.

Like most people, we just want the darn thing to do what it's supposed to do and not waste hours and dollars on trying to get it to work as it's purported.

If HP does not get their act together, I foresee a different future for HP.....

Student
Rozy63
Message 67 of 100 (1,177 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the 6700 and it does the same thing.  Cycling for 5 minutes after printing one page.  I suspect it's a way to use up the ink quicker.

Ink is a ripoff.  {Content Removed}

Student
somecin
Message 68 of 100 (1,023 Views)

My HP8500 Officejet pro does the same thing - cleans the printheads after just printing 2 copies.  Any idea what is causing this and if it can be fixed?

Tutor
Zauberkind
Message 69 of 100 (1,019 Views)

What's causing it is a combination of poor design and greed.

The only solution is to buy a boat so you can at least use it as an anchor!

Zk

Tutor
fiosron
Message 70 of 100 (1,008 Views)

MY  Instincts tell me that it would fail as an anchor too..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation