Question
Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on
Replies (99)

Tutor
fiosron
Message 71 of 100 (1,261 Views)

Re: Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on

[ Edited ]

MY instincts tell me, it would fail as an anchor too.
As well, HP clearly knows the problems this printer as caused its customers, and it's sad that they've abandoned them to save a few bucks.
{Content Removed} They can and should make good on their products that don't hold up to their promises of performance.

In the way of ink, I've had to replace my ink 3 times, and barely have 1,200 copies, of mostly letters. Do the math, and that's some EXPENSIVE printing costs.

Student
Overworked
Message 72 of 100 (1,240 Views)

Re: Problem with HP Officejet Pro 8500 printer: cleans printheads every time it's turned on

Totally agree with all the comments. My 8500 is about a year old and the yellow has packed up. Looks like a printhead problem ansd suspect all these cleans has worn it out. I have had HP printers for the last 25 years but the two I have now will be the last I ever buy. The 8500 has been disappointing to say the least, I had a 155 before and now regret letting this go. The other one  have is a 2055 and that throws out random prints all day, wastes paper and toner. Rather gives the impression HP may have introduced faults to increase sales of consumables

Student
Arun_Mot
Message 73 of 100 (1,167 Views)

I have this printer Pro 8500A Plus and it is completely useless. If printer's ink is not there then you cannot scan (how bad is that). It IS multi-function printer - so why scanner should depend on printer.

Its not used much but its Auto Document Feeder stopped working.

It drinks Ink - even if you are not using color ink then also they would deplete and ink is so expensive..It keeps cleaning printheads..takes 15 miutes to power up even if you are using shut down button.. 

I am regretting why I chose to buy this...I will never never buy HP...

And I tried to add review on HP's website where this printer was listed and theie website is also buggy, never accepts the review..

Honor Student
Bradster
Message 74 of 100 (1,058 Views)

Had the same problem as the rest: printer keeps on checking and cleaning print heads.

What helped with me: Cleaned my printheads and the connectors on the printer with a paper towel and a cotton swab after removing my printer from the power source and somehow it stopped checking and cleaning, don't know if it 'll still working tomorrow but it's a start!

Tutor
Zauberkind
Message 75 of 100 (1,055 Views)

Please keep us informed.

Did you some kind of solvent, or just a dry wipe?

Regards,

Zk

Honor Student
Bradster
Message 76 of 100 (1,039 Views)

Just a dry kitchen towel and a dry cotton swab, I'll print something in the afternoon to test if it still works.

Honor Student
mdross
Message 77 of 100 (893 Views)

Our Officejet Pro 8500 printer is a little over a year old and like so many I have read about go through a lot of ink cartridges. The very reason I was talked into buying this machine from Staples it was supposed to be a lot more efficient.So what happened!

Anyway we just started having printer head problems I assume because printing pictures is wasting ink and paper the colors are all washed out. This scares me because of the future unknown expense. Who are we as consumers to turn to if HP is not going to stand behind their products? We are dedicated type people if only they would give us a reason to be dedicated.  

Honor Student
Bradster
Message 78 of 100 (885 Views)

Forgot to post, it still works, cleaning the contacts solved it for me
Tutor
Zauberkind
Message 79 of 100 (874 Views)

The reason your yellow has packed up is the use of the "Machine Identification Code (MIC)": a low-visibility forensic mechanism to use your yellow ink to trace your documents to your printer. I have found no way to disable this, including printing only black ink. Check it out (UV light is good!)

Cheers

Zk

Tutor
Zauberkind
Message 80 of 100 (873 Views)

Very interesting...

Many users are up in arms about the technical defects of this printer: you call it "design intent" and declare the problem as "solved".

You should send your picture to Wikipedia: they have no illo under "Hubris" yet.

In nomine veritatis,

Zk

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation