Question

Honor Student
infinitemonkeys
Message 1 of 1 (399 Views)

Remote Desktop (terminal services) printing - always drivers, drivers, drivers

I support multiple facilities that must connect to remote Win2k3 servers and WinXP desktops.  When the drivers for local printers are not installed on the terminal server, the local printers do not appear.  This is true even if the drivers are only slightly different (i.e. slightly different version, 32 vs 64 bit, PCL5 vs PCL6, or XP vs 2k3).  This becomes a problem when I must install HP printers on servers and stations that do not have the printer physically attached.  Many HP printers have their own install software and will not complete if the printer is not detected.

In a specific instance, I recently had trouble installing a CP3525 on a WinXP Pro station.  HP support helped me get it installed and recommended the Universal PCL5 5.2 driver which works locally.  I had hoped this would solve remote printing as well, but found that when printing from a remote session, the color printer will only print black and white.

I need a simple way to install HP drivers on Win2k3 servers and WinXP stations so they are recognized when remote users connect.  I need a way that does not require me to go through entire HP installation procedures and fight past non-detection issues.

Is there a library of common drivers I can install in one pass?  Or is there a way to install HP drivers for select printers (i.e. HP4350 PCL6) more easily and reliably?  I have tried browsing and rt-clicking the driver files and selecting the install option, but this does not seem to install drivers in a way that works for remote desktop.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation