Scaled (Reduced) Print HP Officejet Pro 8600 (664 Views)
Top Student
B737driver
Message 1 of 16 (664 Views)

Scaled (Reduced) Print HP Officejet Pro 8600

Where is the setting in the Preferences dialog boxes to Scale print??  That is, I want to sent a print job to the computer, but I want it to print at something like 79% of full size.

I have found the setting on the printers front LCD panel for setting this when you are Copying, but I cannot find the setting in the computer software driver, ie "Printing Properties" or "Printing Preferences". 

I just got this OfficeJet Pro 8600 to replace a Canon Pixma.  I have it all installed on a Win 7 x64 machine, and all appears to be functioning correctly, including the ePrint service.

This is not a budget printer, and I certainly hope HP didn't leave this setting out of their driver package.

Thanks for any help!!

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 2 of 16 (644 Views)

Re: Scaled (Reduced) Print HP Officejet Pro 8600

Generally speaking if you are just printing from the computer that is a transformation you will have to do within the program you are using. Can you tell me what you are wanting to print and what program you are using? 

-Spencer 

Top Student
B737driver
Message 3 of 16 (641 Views)

Most frequently I am trying to print a frame from a web page; I normally scale the print to about 75-80% of normal size so it can fit in a shirt pocket.

My previous print driver for my Canon printer, and many others I've used w/various printers at work, have a scaling feature built into the printer driver. You should be able to do this in the printing preference dialog boxes REGARDLESS of what program you are printing from.

While searching these forums I saw an example of an HP driver (can't remember the printer) doing this very thing.
Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 4 of 16 (622 Views)

This feature is generally in the print properties of the program you are printing from. The printer driver takes the commands that it is given, you could set it to print on smaller media which would be in the properties of the printer. 

-Spencer 

Top Student
B737driver
Message 5 of 16 (609 Views)

So it's either a Yes or a No.

I take it from your two responses that sound VERY similar to some other similar questions I've found on this forum for other printers (ie, somewhat canned), the answer is NO, HP didn't bother to write a robust "Printing Preferences" dialog for its printer driver on the OfficeJet Pro 8600.

And from what I have experienced, scaled printing is NOT a feature that's generally embedded in individual software programs...it's part of a properly written Printing Preferences dialog. Think I'll return this printer and turn back to Canon.

Nonetheless, thank you for responding to my postings.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 6 of 16 (588 Views)

It's not that HP didn't include that in our software, though that is certainly true in a general sense. The driver for the printer does not control the program which is being printed from which is why there is this conflict. You will have to transform the job before sending it to be printed. 

-Spencer 

Top Student
B737driver
Message 7 of 16 (581 Views)

Spencer, thanks, again, for the reply.

I looked at comparable All in One printers from Canon, Epson, and Brother, and ALL of them have scaling in their print driver's "Print Preferences" dialog box.  But HP does NOT.  In addition, I was easily able to look at their documentation online to actually see visual and textual descriptions of this dialog box--something that I cannot find with any of the current/comparable other HP printers.

You don't have to "transform" anything.  Pretty much every software program accesses the print driver in Windows and allows you to select your Printing Preferences for that print job through the printer software.  If the driver includes a scaling/resizing option then it is EASY; if it does not (Like HP's driver) then you have to conjure up some wizardry to try and get it resized (like print it full size, then copy it on the printer with the reduce scaling--but this wastes an extra page of paper and ink).

I don't have time for wizardry every week when I print my work schedule to approximately 75-80% scale...I returned this HP 8600 printer yesterday and purchased an Epson Workforce 3540: couple more features for about the same price.  And I can keep the magic wand in the breast pocket of my wizard's robe when I need to scale my print jobs.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 8 of 16 (572 Views)

I am glad that you found a printer which works for your needs, and if you have ever any need for further assistance with HP products I hope you remember our free support 24/7 on this site. 

Have a great day! 

-Spencer 

Student
Phee60
Message 9 of 16 (536 Views)

Really Spencer? I used to be able to "print to scale" on my other HP printers--why did they do away with this feature?  Or is it possible that I don't have the full version of the software installed on my computer?  I could have sworn I was able to do it before on this 8600 printer when I had the premium version instead of the plus version.

Student
Jim5
Message 10 of 16 (516 Views)

I too have the same issue. Some applications have the ability to scale the print and some don't. Other printers that I have have the scaling feature built in to the printer properties dialog, Brother, Epson, etc. and are not dependent on the application for scaling. I just bought two 8600 plus models but if HP is not going to fix this issue I am going to have to return both of them. My question is: Is Hp going to include scaling in the printer properties dialog in a future software update for the 8600 plus?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation