Question

Honor Student
amaltz
Message 1 of 2 (146 Views)

Scanning Issue with Maverick and Office Jet Pro 8600

Just wanted to add my voice to the numerous problem reports.  Specifically:

1)  I could scan just fine until I upgraded to Maverick (Mac OS 10.9)

2)  to address the problem, I downloaded the latest HP drivers for 10.9-didn't help

3)  Tried to use the separate HP Scan application-no luck; couldn't fine the computer (even though I have been printing regularly)

4)  Based on the HP problem solution posting (which seems a bit out of date), tried to uninstall the software and reinstall; the uninstall would not complete, although it did delete all of my printers.

It appears that it is finally time to abandon HP for printers, if they can't keep up with Apple's releases.

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 2 of 2 (109 Views)

Re: Scanning Issue with Maverick and Office Jet Pro 8600

Hi amaltz,

I understand you are having an issue with the scan software working with Mavericks. I can't help you with this. My suggestion is to completely remove all HP software from the computer and reinstall. Follow the instructions below to resolve the issue.

Scrub

• Open the Applications folder > HP or Hewlett Packard folder > HP Uninstaller
  • Click continue, click on one of the printers in the list.
  • Hold down Control, Option and Command
  • While holding the three buttons down, Click uninstall.

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon (     ), and then click  System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan  dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or Ctrl +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OK to confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name  and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected
Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Repair Disk Permissions (I know many of you have done this but because we have now done a scrub it is good measure to ensure non of your permissions differ)
  1. On the Dock, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
  2. Double-click Disk Utility.
  3. Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left (by default this is "Macintosh HD").
  4. Click the Repair Disk Permissions button at the bottom of the window.
  5. Once the repair is complete, restart the computer.
  6. Restart the computer.

Now you will have a fresh start and be able to reinstall the software. Please let me know if this resolves the issue you are experiencing. If it does not, I will gladly follow up.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation