Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My software for my Deskjet 1000  j110 won't open. The printer prints but I can't access the Toolbox. I have Windows 7 (32 bit)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok thank you for the update. I was able to find a great solution from fellow Community member @Sunshyn2005 , take a look below:

I would like you to download this > File Association Fix.

You will not see anything happen, after about 4-5 minutes of waiting, restart the computer and then try the Printer Assistant icon again.

If the issue persists, I would like you to delete the Printer Assistant icon, open the Device and printers, right click on your printer and choose Open. In the window that opens please right click on Printer Assistant and click on create shortcut. Now we can go to the desktop and see if it will open from there. The icon will now by HP in a blue circle and say HP Printer Assistant under it (see image below).  If this opens and works we can use this moving forward, but if it doesn't proceed with the steps below.

Printer Assistant.jpg

1. Hold down the Windows Logo key (  ) on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box,  type %temp%
  2. Delete all files and folders from the temp folder. Choose skip if any pop ups appear saying any of the files could not be deleted
  3. Unplug the USB cable (if it is connected), open the Programs and Features, click on Publisher(all HP software will be together now), and uninstall all programs associated to the printer. You fill find the Basic driver, Product Improvement study, HP Officejet 8500 Help. Be careful not to uninstall other HP software, particularly if your computer is an HP computer. I generally use the date as a reference. The printer software would have all been installed on the same date.
  4. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer
  5. Follow these steps to reset the registry settings and options for Windows Installer.
    • Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box.
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /unreg, and then click OK.
    • Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box.
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /regserver, and then click OK
  6. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tool
  7. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
  8. Restart the computer
  9. Now this step is important, if you have downloaded the software previously or used the CD to install please do not do that this time. We are going to use the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows. This updated version of the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows adds the following enhancements:
    • Support for Windows 8.1
    • Additional diagnostic and auto-fix capabilities
    • Support for additional HP printers

Please let me know the outcome.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @cmorley50

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! 🙂 I understand you are not able to access the Toolbox for your HP Deskjet 1000 on your computer running the Windows 7 Operating system. I would like you to follow the steps listed below:

1. Unplug the USB if using a direct connection.

2. Remove the HP Deskjet 1000 software from your computers Control Panel's Uninstall a program option.

3. Restart the computer.

4. Make sure all the DJ 1000 software is gone from the programs list as well as your HP folder listed under the All programs in your Start Menu.

5. Now go ahead and download the software and drivers for your DJ 1000 (DO NOT plug in USB until the software prompts you to):

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=dj-109016-3&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

6. Go ahead and print a test page.

7. If you are unable to print a test page, please run the HP Print and Scan Doctor- It was designed by HP to provide users with the troubleshooting and problem solving features needed to resolve many common problems experienced with HP print and scan products connected to Windows-based computers.

Please let me know if you are now able to access the Toolbox.  I will watch for your reply.

Thank you,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

My printer prints. But I still can't open the toolbox. I double click on the HP Deskjet 1000 J110 icon on my desktop and nothing happens. I'm perplexed. I need to clean my printheads  and allign them.

HP Recommended

cmorley50,

Yes, I understand you are able to print. The software you are using would not have the ToolBox option, you would be using the newer software and drivers so you should be using the HP Printer Assistant. This should be located on your desktop, it is the Deskjet 1000 Printer icon.

The steps listed above, are what needs to be done in order to have the compatible Printer Utility for your Deskjet 1000 and the Windows 7 Operating system, this will allow you to clean the printheads and align the printer.

Please complete my earlier recommendation and let me know the outcome!

Thanks again,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I followed your instructions to the letter. The printer prints but the software will not open. This is after repeatedly uninstalling and installing the software.

HP Recommended

Ok thank you for the update. I was able to find a great solution from fellow Community member @Sunshyn2005 , take a look below:

I would like you to download this > File Association Fix.

You will not see anything happen, after about 4-5 minutes of waiting, restart the computer and then try the Printer Assistant icon again.

If the issue persists, I would like you to delete the Printer Assistant icon, open the Device and printers, right click on your printer and choose Open. In the window that opens please right click on Printer Assistant and click on create shortcut. Now we can go to the desktop and see if it will open from there. The icon will now by HP in a blue circle and say HP Printer Assistant under it (see image below).  If this opens and works we can use this moving forward, but if it doesn't proceed with the steps below.

Printer Assistant.jpg

1. Hold down the Windows Logo key (  ) on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box,  type %temp%
  2. Delete all files and folders from the temp folder. Choose skip if any pop ups appear saying any of the files could not be deleted
  3. Unplug the USB cable (if it is connected), open the Programs and Features, click on Publisher(all HP software will be together now), and uninstall all programs associated to the printer. You fill find the Basic driver, Product Improvement study, HP Officejet 8500 Help. Be careful not to uninstall other HP software, particularly if your computer is an HP computer. I generally use the date as a reference. The printer software would have all been installed on the same date.
  4. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer
  5. Follow these steps to reset the registry settings and options for Windows Installer.
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /unreg, and then click OK.
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /regserver, and then click OK
  6. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tool
  7. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
  8. Restart the computer
  9. Now this step is important, if you have downloaded the software previously or used the CD to install please do not do that this time. We are going to use the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows. This updated version of the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows adds the following enhancements:
    • Support for Windows 8.1
    • Additional diagnostic and auto-fix capabilities
    • Support for additional HP printers

Please let me know the outcome.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

The file association fix did the trick. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Okay, I ran into the same problem and that Tom Guy on the internet has a kind'a back door solution.  I think it's called Tom's Hardware Guide and he says that your newer Windows Browsers have a built in printer toolbox that will allow a person to align their cartridges, clean them, and do a test page.  So try this, it's from Tom's site:

Start > Control Panel > Printers and other Hardware > Printers and Faxes

and then right-click on the line for your printer and you get a

pop up window. Then left-click on "properties" and then on

the "Services" tab and you will find that you can align (and clean) the printer cartridges, and if you look around on your other printer options you'll find you can also print a test page, etc., so this will give you some of your toolbox options back, although I know it's not exactly the same, will take the sting out of losing it a bit.

HP Recommended

You may also try Dataownerclub Windows Error Repair to fix this issue

It can fix all kinds of Windows system errors like pop-up window reporting various errors, software cannot open, webpage appears disorderly code, desktop icon displays abnormal, 

HP Recommended

the same soultion The file association fix did the trick in printer 8600 

thank's

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.