Question

Tutor
databaseben
Message 1 of 12 (7,119 Views)

Solved - HP LaserJet 1000 for Vista

If Vista no longer or hasn't been able to install your trusty Laser Jet 1000 printer driver, then you are not alone.   The solution is to connect a slower 1.0 USB Hub in between the LaserJet 1000 and Vista.

For my particular resolution a Belkin F5U021 USB Hub was the key to success.  

Once the hub was connected, Vista expediously recognized and installed the HP Laser Jet 1000 driver created for WinXP, automatically.

Printing to and from the Laser Jet 1000 is now as normal and proficient in Vista as it was for WinXP.

The chatter that Vista cannot recognize host based printers or the drivers may be misleading because it certainly cannot apply to my Vista and HP Laser Jet 1000 scenerio.   

DatabaseBen at Hotmail dot com.

db·´¯`·...¸>)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
-Systems Analyst
- Database Developer
- Accountancy
- Veteran of the Armed Forces
Honor Student
jimmyd32
Message 2 of 12 (6,712 Views)

Re: Solved - HP LaserJet 1000 for Vista

I have been serching for a solution to the same problem. Will try your solution, but have a question. Does the bit (i.e. 32 vs 64) make a difference here?
Tutor
databaseben
Message 3 of 12 (6,499 Views)

I do not if the solution will work for Vista 64. 

Also, I have heard of someone trying a slower usb hub but didn't work.  However, i don't think that all usb hubs are engineered the same.   The hub I am using may have proven to be better than the others as proven with the solution.

To date I have discovered that there are

a set of vista users who have never encountered a problem.  

then there is another set that have, but found this unique solution applicable 

I can only surmise that the above two scenerios are possible because the USB1.1's are dedicated and not multi speed.  So perhaps, the users who cannot get their hp 1000 operational again, may be the result of the the hub or motherboard with usb sockets being dual speeds ( 1.1 and 2.1 ), the higher speed will take precedence.

db·´¯`·...¸>)))º>
-Systems Analyst
- Database Developer
- Accountancy
Student
mike4mula
Message 4 of 12 (6,384 Views)

instead of going through all the baloney of getting a slower USB hub (which may or may not work), why doesn't HP just develop a driver that will allow the printers to work in Vista?
Tutor
databaseben
Message 5 of 12 (6,373 Views)

for one thing, this printer is a discontinued model.  therefore no further support is provided by hp for us who have this printer.

secondly, the baloney you are referring to costs approximately 20.00 bucks.

investing 20.00 bucks saved me the loss of the investment initially made when i bought the printer and which then resulted in me saving more money by not having to buy a replacement printer.

if you havn't priced laser printers yet, they are at least double in price than when the hp1000 was made and sold for.

db·´¯`·...¸>)))º>
-Systems Analyst
- Database Developer
- Accountancy
Honor Student
corkycat
Message 6 of 12 (5,306 Views)

I am not sophisticated about these technical matters, but do want to make my laserjet 1000 compatible with windows vista.  What is this $20.00 part you're talking about, were do I get it, and how do I install it?  thanks!
Tutor
databaseben
Message 7 of 12 (5,300 Views)

basically, this particular hub [ Belkin F5U021 USB Hub w/ the power adaptor ] has been engineered in such a way, that it is able to control the flow between vista and the hp 1000 thus making the printer "FUNCTIONAL" .

becuase of the hub, i have also been able to share the hp1000 over my home network connection.

i had tried another brand, but did nothing.

so i highly recommend the Belkin F5U021 USB Hub for adapting the hp1000 to vista.

i contacted the makers of the hub above and shared the story and assured me that the hub wouldn't be discontinued.  

so you may want to google the hub or contact the manufacturer to find a reseller.

db·´¯`·...¸>)))º>
-Systems Analyst
- Database Developer
- Accountancy
Honor Student
corkycat
Message 8 of 12 (5,296 Views)

Thank you!  I'll give it a try.
Honor Student
jimmyd32
Message 9 of 12 (5,275 Views)

I bought the Belkin unit ($8.00 incl ship used but like new) and tried it. The procedure did not work for me. I have Vista 64 bit and that may have something to do with it. I opted for a new printer, an HP 1006. I picked it up new at Staples for $46.00. List price, $176.00, on sale for $99.00, credit for returned printer of $50.00 (The old HP 1000) and a credit for the cartridge $3.00. It was cheaper than buying a new cartridge for the HP 1000, and it has a separate slot for envelopes which is a real plus.
Tutor
databaseben
Message 10 of 12 (5,272 Views)

[ Edited ]

that's really unfortunate.

i am curious and wondering about the following: 

have you tried looking into the bios to see if you can enable usb legacy support? 

and did you connect the ac adaptor to the hub to ensure the usb signal is strong? 

do any of your usb devices work at all with the hub, (other than the hp1000) ?

Message Edited by databaseben on 06-20-2009 06:48 AM
db·´¯`·...¸>)))º>
-Systems Analyst
- Database Developer
- Accountancy
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation