Question
Solved! Windows 7 driver solution for HP Color LaserJet 3550
Replies (57)

Top Student
ksteele36
Message 51 of 58 (1,136 Views)

Re: Solved! Windows 7 driver solution for HP Color LaserJet 3550

Ok, I cleared the board and upon rereading the 1st post instruction found that I had mistakenly downloaded the 3500 driver vs the 3550 host driver he referred to. Followed the rest of the instructions and got it to work. One thing that wasn't very clear to me while reading his post however, was the reference to unplugging the printer before doing the install... but yes, unplug the printer & do the installation. The 2nd thing that wasn't very clear was "7) It would not work unless I let Windows make it my default printer" & "#8 - set as default" these steps didn't matter for me... I let windows make it my default printer during the installation and when finished I plugged the printer into my USB and windows recognized it... at first there were 2 HP 3550 printers showing in "Devices and Printers" but this soon resolved itself - though the 3550 default icon was also replaced by a generic icon... did a good test print and checked printer properties for appropriate options and they are there just like it were actually recognized as an HP 3550 vs the generic it currently is. -- Thanks for this fix guys!
Top Student
ksteele36
Message 52 of 58 (1,136 Views)

[ Edited ]

- Duplicate post removed

Student
EliOlayhee
Message 53 of 58 (1,089 Views)

Thank you so kindly for your solution.  I LOVE my 75-lb 3550 printer, which I have had for 7 years, and was so hoping to find a way to install it in System 7.  

Thanks too for documenting each step so precisely.  As an instructional designer, I have high praise for your elegant and informative solution.  

How long did you experiment to get this to work?  How did you think to reinstall the three drivers?  It is good to know what takes creative solution provides like you to the correct solution path.  

Often we see "used oats" parading as wisdom on most forums.  You contribution is the welcome exception to the norm. 

Best regards, and thanks for taking the time to Share.  

Roger Liston

Student
Lehmanwk
Message 54 of 58 (1,027 Views)

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honor Student
Spiffo
Message 55 of 58 (975 Views)

Lifesaver!

Thanks for this.

Student
bitoparty
Message 56 of 58 (684 Views)

we wan't the driver for the HP colar laserjet 3550 windows 7

Student
allieb
Message 57 of 58 (653 Views)

You are the Bomb!  I have been trying to get this printer to work for a year now. I didn't want to give it up. I bought a new computer so I was going to try one last time to hook it up.  This was the last draw and if it didn't work I was going to donate it and get a new one. Then I came across your solution and, voila it works!  Thanks so much for your help with this!

Student
R8RDiva
Message 58 of 58 (376 Views)

You are BRILLIANT!  I haven't been able to use the printer to my PC in years!  I've needed to transfer, via email or flash drive anything that needed printing to my ancient laptop that still ran the software off of XP.  THANK YOU THANK YOU!  This was NOT that hard.  I'm not a techie, and I was able to follow your instructions in under five minutes.  Stoopid HP would've had me throw out a perfectly good printer!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation