Question

Honor Student
faithlegh
Message 1 of 3 (295 Views)

Spanish cartridges (343/338) not compatible with SA purchased printer using 131/135 cartridges. Help

I bought my Photosmart C3183 in South Africa some years ago.  It uses 131 (black) and 135 (colour) cartriges. Recently moved to Spain and purchased new cartridges but here it appears they are 338 (black) and 343 (colour).  When I insert cartridges printer refuses to accept them as valid.  I think there's something that can be done to reset the printer when moving from one country to another to make it compatible but cannot find any information on how to do this.  What do I do as I can't find anywhere here to buy 131s and 135s?  Is there a solution or am I going to have to buy a new machine - I hope not as I'm a pensioner.  Can anybody help me please?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 3 (263 Views)

Re: Spanish cartridges (343/338) not compatible with SA purchased printer using 131/135 cartridges.

You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
faithlegh
Message 3 of 3 (253 Views)

Re: Spanish cartridges (343/338) not compatible with SA purchased printer using 131/135 cartridges.

Bob - many thanks for your reply.  Problem is I don't speak Spanish and tried to get help by calling HP in Spain but was told in Spanish that  nobody there speaks English!  I guess I could call HP in the UK but will the reset from there work in Spain?  Is there any other way I can get instructions - say by email which I could then follow do you know?  The other problem with the HP site is that to get anywhere you need to put in model or product code and it doesn't seem either to recognise my model (Photosmart C3183) or the model number or product number on the ticket on the back of the machine so it will never put me through anywhere.  The machine itself is way out of warranty but the new cartridges I just purchased last week so I would hope that that would qualify me for assistance by HP.  It's not my fault that I have yet to learn Spanish but I am tearing my hair out here that there seem to be so few methods of getting help locally!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation