Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm trying to reinstall the drivers for my C410 Photosmart Premium Model No CQ521B onto my Lenovo X220 Windows 7 64 bit laptop.  I've downloaded the most up to date drivers on the hp website (PS_AIO_07_C410_FSW-Basic_enu_140_222.exe and the full version as well) and have tried running both.

Each version comes up with the same error message "The system cannot find the file specified" and the file path at the top of the error message is E:\setup\..Setup\hpzpnp40.exe" "-wStub" "999999"_1 ENU-f"c:\Windows\hp...

The error message then goes off the right hand side of the box.  The 999999 changes each time I run the set up.

After each attempt I run a full Level 4 uninstall to make sure all HP programmes are deleted but the same error problem occurs.  This message occurs running both the basic and full driver installation programme.

I've tracked down a technical support bulletin which describes the problem exactly and says "This issue occurs because a conflict exists between version 6.0 of the HP software and Windows Vista 64-bit."

Its only suggestion is to download the latest drivers - version 8 or above - which of course are now causing the problem.  I do not have the original discs as my Lenovo dosent have a built in DVD and I reckoned it would be best to rely on the web!

Does anyone know whats going on.  My printer was working fine but has always had occasional problems scanning large double sided documents and I tried to update the drivers today but only succeeded in upsetting the installation such that I tried a complete uninstall and reinstall.  And now I cannot reinstall.

I did notice my Win 7 was updated earlier today.  Could this be the problem.  Judging by other posts Win 7 64 bit and HP printers are a bit tempremental.  It would be great if someone from HP or anyone else who has an idea why I cannot get the drivers reinstalled could comment.

Many thanks in advance.

Larry_gru

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Mr Bond

Many thanks for your reply.

A bit after I posted I managed to speak to another HP technician through the help desk who managed to solve the problem.  Originally I had been told to uninstall using a level 4 uninstall in order to ensure that all traces of the old drivers/programmes were deleted. 

However apparently this may not be enough and I was then pointed to Microsoft's ultimate program uninstall fix from here:    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

I  made sure that any programme with HP in it was properly uninstalled and re-ran the driver installation file .  This time it was able to find the correct drive and worked.  (If you have an HP computer take good advice as to which programmes to delete/keep!!)

Interestingly, though, as an experiment I tried uninstalling through the normal route and then reinstalling again and I got the same message and had to run the microsoft fix again.  Whether my Windows uninstall programme is corrupted or what the reason is I dont know but somehow the HP programmes are not being deleted properly and this corrpts any future install programme.  However at least I've got my printer up and running once again and know how to uninstall and install successfully now.

I had meant to post this fix here straight away and close off the query but of course procratination got the better of me until your posting jogged my conscience!

In answer to your queries and to help others who may have the same problems, my Lenovo X220 was new last Aug, loaded with Win 7 Prof from the start and I run Zone Alam Pro and Microsoft Security Essentials.  All these programmes are set to update automatically.

The printer was on a wired network but when I phoned Paperport to ask about continual problems with large double sided scanning runs they suggested I tried using the USB connection.  This has helped a lot and now for these sorts of runs I always use the USB connection.  So there is definately some issues relating to networking and third party programmes.  However my install problems were occurring at a stage before any printer was pluged in so was not connected with the physical printer at all.

Many thanks again for replying

Cheers

Larry-Gru

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Okay, few questions about this situation.

First to elimate other possiblities, what firewall/anti-virus/malware/spyware/security programs are running on your system? How is the printer connected USB, wirelessly? If wireless, what else is on the network? 

Second, is this a home installation or a work installation?

Third, was the laptop originally running Vista? Meaning, was the Win 7 something like a free/optional upgrade? I have seen that cause problems, which is why I ask.

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
HP Recommended

Hi Mr Bond

Many thanks for your reply.

A bit after I posted I managed to speak to another HP technician through the help desk who managed to solve the problem.  Originally I had been told to uninstall using a level 4 uninstall in order to ensure that all traces of the old drivers/programmes were deleted. 

However apparently this may not be enough and I was then pointed to Microsoft's ultimate program uninstall fix from here:    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

I  made sure that any programme with HP in it was properly uninstalled and re-ran the driver installation file .  This time it was able to find the correct drive and worked.  (If you have an HP computer take good advice as to which programmes to delete/keep!!)

Interestingly, though, as an experiment I tried uninstalling through the normal route and then reinstalling again and I got the same message and had to run the microsoft fix again.  Whether my Windows uninstall programme is corrupted or what the reason is I dont know but somehow the HP programmes are not being deleted properly and this corrpts any future install programme.  However at least I've got my printer up and running once again and know how to uninstall and install successfully now.

I had meant to post this fix here straight away and close off the query but of course procratination got the better of me until your posting jogged my conscience!

In answer to your queries and to help others who may have the same problems, my Lenovo X220 was new last Aug, loaded with Win 7 Prof from the start and I run Zone Alam Pro and Microsoft Security Essentials.  All these programmes are set to update automatically.

The printer was on a wired network but when I phoned Paperport to ask about continual problems with large double sided scanning runs they suggested I tried using the USB connection.  This has helped a lot and now for these sorts of runs I always use the USB connection.  So there is definately some issues relating to networking and third party programmes.  However my install problems were occurring at a stage before any printer was pluged in so was not connected with the physical printer at all.

Many thanks again for replying

Cheers

Larry-Gru

HP Recommended

I am now having the same problem. 

Windows 7 Professional. 

I used level4 uninstall since I do not have an HP printer. 

This was according to another post on the C++ problem I was having here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/officejet-pro-8500-wireless-printer/m-... 

I followed ALL the steps there, and now, using the HP Printer Install Wizard, it has come up with this exact error and it keeps cycling through downloading and installing the full software, which is about 305 MB in size. 

Well, the last time it cycled through the Install Wizard, it came up with the C++ error again. 

HELP! 

Jim Guess
One-on-One
Computer Help
HP Recommended

Hi Jim

Have you tried the Microsoft extra strong uninstall patch.  This worked for me.  I think I also made sure I cleared out all Temp folders as the HP install routine always left its Temp files and that seemed to confuse it the next time it tried to install.

However that was not the end of my problems because now my scanning program (Paperport) keeps telling me that "another program already has control of the device" and it will just not scan!   The program maker's help desk (Nuance) and HP help desk just balme the other company saying no-one else has this problem. Next printer is going to be an Epson!

Good luck

Cheers

Larry_gru  

HP Recommended

I did not try the Microsoft extra strong uninstall patch. 

I lied.  I tried it.  It asked for some twenty digit product code which I could not find.  So, that does not work for me. 

I finally tried the same procedure of another HP thread - for the fifth or sixth time - and it worked!  I am a stickler for following the exact procedure given.  Well, I don't know what it was this time, but it worked. 

I really, really like my HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 Premier A909n printer.  When the software is installed correctly, the printer is a dream.  I also like the fact that the black cartridge will print a thousand pages before running out, and it only costs about $30 delivered to my door the next business day. 

It is a very good printer.  It is just a pain sometimes when things go wrong.  However, I bet almost any printer will have problems that are frustrating. 

For example, I am a computer tech and I have a customer that has a Kodak printer.  They have problem after problem with that printer that I need to solve for them.  I am sure an HP printer will work much better, but they don't want to spend the money on a new printer.  So, they pay me more to fix the problem than to buy a new printer.  Go figure. 

Jim Guess
One-on-One
Computer Help
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue on a bfand new dell  computer,  64 bit windows 8.1.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks

HP Recommended

Was having the same problem and someone gave me this solution - and it worked.

Open your McAfee internet security

click on change settings

click on real time scanning

click on turn off (until I restart the computer)

Then do your download. 

At the very least, it will allow a wired connection.  I haven't been able to do a wireless yet as still having problem with printer IP address.

As an aside, I stopped hitting "run" when downloading because I was having to re-download so often until my problem was resolved, and finally hit "save".  It will download and stay in your "downloads" folder until you're ready to try the install again.

Good luck

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.