Question

Intern
DocumentRunr
Message 1 of 8 (589 Views)

Universal Print Driver isn't very Universal

Hi all,

I just went away for a weekend visiting relatives who have an HP OfficeJet 7310 printer. Since I have a LaserJet 3050 at my home office and I needed to take some work with me, I figured that I would just bring my Pavilion dv8408 Vista32 laptop and my USB cable with me and use their machine. I needed to print out a 12 page document, sign it, scan it to email and then email it to a client before Monday morning. I have installed on my system, the UPD PCL 5 and the UPD PCL 6 as well as HP scanning version 4.0.4.0  When I plugged in the OfficeJet 7310 to my system, it would not print using the PCL 5 or 6 driver, even after triggering the Update Now in the  Automatic Configuration. Windows Vista32 installed some native print drivers but NO SCANNING DRIVERS. The HP Scanning I have would not work with the 7310. I then ended up spending over 2 hours on my vacation with multiple failed attempts whereupon I finally was able to install the OfficeJet drivers on to my laptop, get my document scanned and email it to my client.

What I am asking here is, what is the purpose of the Universal Print Driver if I cannot use it to print on another HP product?!

and, What about the scanning drivers? Shouldn't they be a part of any so-called Universal Print Driver package since so much of HP's product line consists of MFP/AIO machines?

We really need to get some better drivers for our equipment.

Associate Professor
AuntieEm
Message 2 of 8 (568 Views)

Re: Universal Print Driver isn't very Universal

The Universal Print Driver (UPD) is designed to be a single driver that gives users instant access to a range of HP print devices--in the office or on the road--without downloading separate drivers.

However, it is a print driver only. It does not include a scan driver.

According the UPD specifications tab, the Officejet 7310 is not on the supported product list. However the Laserjet 3050 is. This would explain why you could not get the UPD to recongize the Officejet 7310.

For future reference, the UPD site offers a supported product list under the specifications tab (scroll down). This list changes as new devices are added to on a regular bases.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

Intern
DocumentRunr
Message 3 of 8 (550 Views)

AuntieEm,

Thanks for the link which I will check next time before I'm on the road. The number of supported printers would appear to be limited, relative to the number of products that HP has produced.  The listing itself could be more prominently displayed on the UPD page. Re: functionality, why would a driver package such as the UPD be developed which would not be able to utilize half of a machine's capability - scanning?

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 4 of 8 (508 Views)

Hi,

The HP UPD (Universal Print Driver), as it name indicates, only allow print functionality, it is not a solution for any further functionality as scanning or faxing..

As well this solution is intended for more higher level devices (more intended for commercial or small business products which uses more advanced printing as the PCL5, PCL6 or PostScript print languages.. not for lower end consumer products which uses the PCL3 printing language..

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Intern
DocumentRunr
Message 5 of 8 (485 Views)

I attempted to use the PCL5 and PCL6 Universal Print Driver on my relatives 2009 Office Jet 7310. A quick check on here searching under the term "PCL Driver History" shows the following page which indicates the PCL3 Driver was introduced in 1984   http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=bpl04568&jumpid...   and that the PCL5 driver was originally introduced in 1990, with the 5e sometime after that. Why would a 2009 device use a driver introduced in 1984?  I think that as a user I had a reasonable expectation that the PCL5 or PCL6 UPD would work on a 2009 machine and that I should have at least been able to print out my document and then maybe Fax it to my client. And why this separation in the distribution of printing and scanning drivers? I'll bet that more than half of the HP equipment out there has both printing and scanning capabilities and with scanning being such an important function in most every office, HP is only doing half of the job by addressing only the printing function in the UPD. And then even that is missing re connectivity with the 7310.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 6 of 8 (456 Views)

Well.. a printing language s a technology used on the device, those being improved within the years and not redeveloped in each year..

Printing is a lot simpler task than scanning, therefore a universal solution is available for a such, scanning as a more complex action require more specific task for each and any model, therefore a scanning solution is available but per model base and not as a general package. it is all a matter of technology and needs.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Intern
DocumentRunr
Message 7 of 8 (428 Views)

When referring to the model 7310, the year (2009) of production was indicated in order to make clear the situation for those reading who may not know every make and model and when it was produced. There seems to be little rhyme or reason for the product model number designations assigned. For example, I used to have the LaserJet 3100, which was produced in 1999 or 2000 or so, and now I have the LaserJet 3050 which was produced much later in 2006-2009. I am aware that software may be not be updated on a yearly basis. The UPD needs to communicate with every device that has been produced for at least the last decade. No doubt there is platform commonality which would make this possible. If I'm using a driver that is called the Universal Print Driver and I hook up my laptop to a printer that was produced in 2009 and I can't print from the device, then what does that say about HP's engineering?

Intern
DocumentRunr
Message 8 of 8 (365 Views)

Update:  I recently discovered the following document

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=bpl04568&jumpid...

where in item 7. re: PCL5C it says "Each new version of the language includes commands not found in older versions as well as the older PCL commands. As a result, printers with more recent versions of PCL are backwards compatible with software that supports older versions of the language."  

And in item 8. re: PCL6 it says  "Features new modular architecture that can be easily modified for future HP printers; faster return to application; faster printing of complex graphics; more efficient data streams for reduced network traffic; better WYSIWYG printing; improved print quality; truer document fidelity; and complete backward compatibility."

So, I'm wondering why it is that I can't use the PCL5 or PCL6 Universal Print Driver with a PCL3 Office Jet 7310 (2009 model), or as another user has pointed out  http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Multifunction-and-All-in-One/PCL-5-6/m-p/6179513#M78156  ,the PCL3 OfficeJet Pro 8600 plus?

HP Pavilion dv8408us laptop

Vista32

USB connection with good cable.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation